Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > MacSkinz

MacSkinz (Page 4)
lelila
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 03:14 AM

Hello all!

I'm eagerly awaiting the reopening of the TiBook section of MacSkinz! I'm studying in France for a year, and I plan to dress my PB for the occasion in a MacSkinz and a coordinated PowerDesign sticker. My question is: has anyone ever used/heard of the BodyMask Color? The company claims that they do not damage the finish, but they also recommend *lighter fluid* for removing adhesive from iPods--doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Thanks!!
Proud Switcher since January 2003

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2004, 02:16 AM

I'd love to get one of these for my new 15" PB that should be here soon. I think it would be awesome if you made a matching bottom that would just make the whole thing look more uniform. I wouldn't have to be solid (like you said heat would build up). Maybe you could form it just to cover the corners and such and leave the majority of the base open for heat transfer. This would look pretty sweet and would make the overall appearance of the notebook very even. One would never know that the bottom was cutout without looking and that would allow for adaquate cooling. I'd just like to see something that "met" the top when the book was closed so it would be of uniform thickness. It would just have to go around the edges and maybe like an inch around the corners???
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by macskinz:
Just to let everyone know, the MacSkinz website will only be accepting orders for our G5 clear panels and other acrylic goodies starting this Sunday night (1-4-04). The reason for this is that we are restructuring our production methods and revamping our designs. Many of our designs will be discontinued and new ones will be introduced. One that I am working on is formable chrome. This should look great if all works well. There is also aluminum, polycarbonate, and wood grains to name a few. We are also working on getting our product out to distributors which will make MacSkinz more accessible to everyone. If all goes well, by february, we'll have the products I've been touting available and our reseller channels in place.

Thanks for enjoying our product line,
Doug,
www.macskinz.com

Oh, you can see our G5 panels in the latest edition of MacAddict (Feb 04).
Is there still a pulse?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2004, 08:29 PM

I wonder if they'll get the ibook skins out just in time for the next generation of ibooks, like it seems happened for the ipod skins. I desperately want this product, but will be forced to find an alternative because this isn't available. I get my 4th gen ipod on wednesday, and my 12" ibook on thursday or friday (at least I'd better). Does anyone know of any other ibook top cover?
http://www.uberwald.com

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 3, 2004, 10:08 PM

Any news on Macskinz?

It's been a loooong time...
"-Dodge This"

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2004, 01:11 PM

They did update the site with the new 4G iPods but that's about it. It may be a long time (if ever) before we see PowerBook/ iBook skinz again.

lelila
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 01:53 AM

I've basically given up at this point...oh well.

In the mean time, though, if you have a 12- or 14-inch PowerBook or iBook, someone has a Macskinz eBay store. His or her username is dogcollarlabor...just search for Macskinz.

Not sure about the legality of this little enterprise, but the skinz look real.
Proud Switcher since January 2003

jerry1
Aug 10, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by lelila:
I've basically given up at this point...oh well.

In the mean time, though, if you have a 12- or 14-inch PowerBook or iBook, someone has a Macskinz eBay store. His or her username is dogcollarlabor...just search for Macskinz.

Not sure about the legality of this little enterprise, but the skinz look real.
Too bad he doesnt ship to Canada. I really really need a black MacSkinz for my iBook G4.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by jerry1:
Too bad he doesnt ship to Canada. I really really need a black MacSkinz for my iBook G4.
Sounds like he isn't shipping anywhere right now...

rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Sounds like he isn't shipping anywhere right now...
MacSkinz has been saying that their new products are "coming soon" for months!! I purchased one last December, shortly before they went offline, and have been very happy with it. But I've been wanting another one ever since, and frankly, I've lost faith that this "new process" will bear fruit. Doug, the MacSkinz guy has been giving excuses about the difficulty of retooling for a new manufacturing process for several months. In the meantime, his products are not available unless you can find one on eBay. You can get PodSkinz to protect your iPod, but I've decided it's not the most practical solution for keeping my iPod scratch free. I don't want to have to remove the case entirely to use the dock or my iTrip. So I'll pass on that particular line of products, thank you. But the MacSkinz for my iBook are great, if you can lay your hands on one. Surely, there is another entreprenuer out there interested in jumping on this niche market. I don't understand how there can be such interest in a product, and nobody is making it happen.

Sorry if I'm ruffling your feathers, Doug. I realize this transition your company is going through has been frustrating as hell for you, but come on, it's been a ridiculous amount of time.
20" iMac G5 2GB RAM, 933Mhz 14" iBook G4 640MB RAM.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:12 PM

I've been waiting....and waiting....and waiting.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 10:24 AM

Hey All,
I am far more frustrated than any of you could possibly be. Our new production process works great for prototyping and smaller products such as the iPod. Large flat surface areas such as those found on the laptops have '"issues" when run on our current equipment. New equipment doesn't come cheap so we have had to come up with alternate outsourcing solutions. This takes time, is out of our control, and carries large minimum runs. To cover the added expenses, we created approximately 6000 3g iPod MacSkinz for a very large computer reseller. While this order was in the Fed-X truck crossing the country, Apple released the new 4g iPod and the reseller immediately refused the order. This (and the redesigned iMac, etc...) puts stress on aftermarket Apple manufacturers. Could be good, could be bad. I feel for companies who create products targeted at the iMac (ie. Rain iGo). On another note: during this haiatus in producing MacSkinz, we have received very agressive emails where people "yell at us" and even use expletives. I don't know what to make of this attitude towards manufacturers. All I can do is explain the situation and say that I am sorry.

Sorry for the inconveience,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 11:56 PM

Doug,
Thanks for the update. I was beginning to wonder. As much as it aggravates me not to be able to spend my money on your products, its gotta aggravate you more not selling me your products! Hope everything works out, and look forward to doing business with you in the near future!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 08:52 AM

No need to be hating on this company, I love mac skinz dug, as a matter afact, i bought 1 g4 tower skin and 2 ipod skins from your sit in the last 3 months, and i am please with the way you service is. And let me say the skins kick ass! g' luck!

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 14, 2004, 11:12 AM

Hey All,
I am far more frustrated than any of you could possibly be. Sorry for the inconveience,
Doug
www.macskinz.com
hey Doug,

Have you considered accepting pre-paid, pre-orders for certain products?

It might get you over the hump, as long as we could be patient with the product.

cheers,
"-Dodge This"

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 11:39 AM

That is something I would never do. I won't even make them available until we have the capacity to meet every customers needs.

thanks,
Doug

Originally posted by milhouse:
hey Doug,

Have you considered accepting pre-paid, pre-orders for certain products?

It might get you over the hump, as long as we could be patient with the product.

cheers,

NYK Ace
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 12:18 PM

i was wondering what happened to the mac skinz site, i remember hearing about them and just got an iBook G4. i looked into colorware but its 399 so then i turned to MacSkinz. i am looking forward to when this product is re-released!

Arclite
Aug 17, 2004, 02:28 PM

Geez. They just refused that many PodSkinz, just like that? Don't they realize people still own 3Gs? Not everyone's giving away their old iPods because something new's come out.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Arclite:
Geez. They just refused that many PodSkinz, just like that? Don't they realize people still own 3Gs? Not everyone's giving away their old iPods because something new's come out.
Just like that!

Large computer stores don't want to carry accessories for a product that they no longer sell (ie. 3g). I personally find it odd because there are something like 3 million+ 3gs in circulation. Are these 3g owners going to give up on their expensive iPods just for a new clickwheel? We have had a few customers change 3g PodSkinz orders to 4g because they don't want to support "old technology". Hmmmmm, maybe the stores have it all figured out.

Doug
www.macskinz.com

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2004, 12:43 AM

Didn't you have some sort of contract with said company?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 11:28 PM

Any idea how soon the skins will be available for the thicker 4G iPods?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 02:49 PM

Thicker 4G? 4G's are smaller then the 3G's. But MacSkinz already has iPod covers available for the 3G and 4G iPods. It's right on their home page.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 04:34 PM

When are any skinz going to be available?
No product listings for awhile now
Who reads this???

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
Thicker 4G? 4G's are smaller then the 3G's. But MacSkinz already has iPod covers available for the 3G and 4G iPods. It's right on their home page.
He means the 40 gig model. Its a bit thicker than the 20 gig, they only have the one for the 20 gig right now.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 10:06 PM

Didn't know that. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2004, 11:20 PM

With all do respect to Doug from MacSkinz as a person, I don't think we'll ever see this company re-open.

1) 9 months and counting....

2) A customer refused delivery of 6000 3G iPod skinz? Did you not have a written contract with these people?

While I fully appreciate the difficulty of running one's own business, I suspect MacSkinz is pretty much closed for the foreseeable future.


macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
With all do respect to Doug from MacSkinz as a person, I don't think we'll ever see this company re-open.

1) 9 months and counting....

2) A customer refused delivery of 6000 3G iPod skinz? Did you not have a written contract with these people?

While I fully appreciate the difficulty of running one's own business, I suspect MacSkinz is pretty much closed for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for speaking for me Cadaver!

Yes, I did have a written contract. Manufacturers usually get the short end of the stick in the chain of sales and take most of the risk. Our main recourse is a restocking fee.

The last time I looked, we were still open. I guess it doesn't count that we have PodSkinz available for all 4 sizes of the iPod in multitudes of designs. We also have some acrylic products such as our iPod stands and G5 panels.

Our new production process worked fine for prototyping MacSkinz but the large flat areas of the laptop skinz outgrew our equipment for production runs. The smaller PodSkinz are created with no problems and have been a solution to help us bring MacSkinz back. There is no magic button to create these things. I, more than anybody, wish there was.

We are not "closed for the foreseeable future".

Doug
www.macskinz.com

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 11:10 PM

I'm not trying to be an ass, really. But if MacSkinz were any other product discussed here on MacNN, people would be posting "vaporware!!" left and right.

Listen, I thought the original Powerbook/iBook skinz were pretty nice, and if you are able to ever get them in production again, I'll probably buy one.

Since you are here and being up front about everything, I guess I shouldn't have been so blunt, but the length of time MacSkinz (not the iPod covers) have been unavailable puts it right up there with other classic Mac 'vaporwares' - things like the Griffin radioShark, the MacMice bluetooth mouse and Duke Nukem Forever (ok, maybe that last one wasn't called for). At least the radioShark actually did get released.

Perhaps good things do come to those who wait. Guess we'll see.


Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 01:58 PM

still waiting...

speedballs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 06:21 PM

Very cool, would it be possible for us to send you an image (jpeg) and you guys print that on for some really custom skins?
Other than that, when the 15' powerbook skin comes out i'll probably pick one up.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 11:25 AM

do you have a UK distributor yet? if not do you want one?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
still waiting...

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 06:39 PM

Doug --

I don't know if you still read this forum or anything, but have you considered running off a large batch of the iBook/powerbook skinz (old manufacturing method) in clear and selling those to finance the rest of the switchover? At this point I think I'd pay $30-$40 for one of these, and I'd bet that I'm not alone. (of course I'd rather pay the $20, but getting one now instead of 4-100 months from now would be worth the premium)

Just a thought really

gautch
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by uberwald:
Doug --

I don't know if you still read this forum or anything, but have you considered running off a large batch of the iBook/powerbook skinz (old manufacturing method) in clear and selling those to finance the rest of the switchover? At this point I think I'd pay $30-$40 for one of these, and I'd bet that I'm not alone. (of course I'd rather pay the $20, but getting one now instead of 4-100 months from now would be worth the premium)

Just a thought really
Ditto

Arclite
Sep 22, 2004, 09:33 PM

That is something I would never do. I won't even make them available until we have the capacity to meet every customer's needs.

thanks,
Doug
I think this means he won't be doing clear only either...

Rooney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 10:53 PM

I hope that this place does open back up. Some of the old stuff looks really awesome
+ROONEY

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 01:04 PM

still waiting...

Arclite
Sep 26, 2004, 03:13 PM

Is this how you got all your posts, Peter? Repeating yourself 3 or 4 times? We understand you're waiting. We're all waiting. You don't need to post it 100 times. We get it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 03:16 PM

Is this how you got all your posts, Peter? Repeating yourself 3 or 4 times? We understand you're waiting. We're all waiting. You don't need to post it 100 times. We get it.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 07:11 PM

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 10:50 PM

I think this means he won't be doing clear only either...
How is that meeting every customer's needs then?

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Sep 27, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by lelila:
but they also recommend *lighter fluid* for removing adhesive from iPods--doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
im sure they are the same for their comouters, as if i needed my firebook even hotter.

but i am considerig buying something from them, they look very good. i cant find a pic of the carbon fiber though.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Arclite
Sep 29, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by uberwald:
How is that meeting every customer's needs then?
What he's saying is he won't release one product for one group of customers until he has it working so he can make every design. Think of it this way. You're an iBook user (for the purposes of this example.) Apple stops giving support for a week so they can change their support system. But they've got a problem when it comes to fixing laptops. So they open up for desktops (the iMacs and Power Macs), but not iBooks or Powerbooks. Your iBook's drive fails. But you can't get it fixed because Apple's not fixing laptops. So you're forced to wait, and wait, and wait. During this time, your iMac-toting friend gets his iMac's monitor fixed, and he's using it happily again. Apple's puting their desktop users ahead of their just as loyal laptop users. Wouldn't that piss you off?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Arclite:
What he's saying is he won't release one product for one group of customers until he has it working so he can make every design. Think of it this way. You're an iBook user (for the purposes of this example.) Apple stops giving support for a week so they can change their support system. But they've got a problem when it comes to fixing laptops. So they open up for desktops (the iMacs and Power Macs), but not iBooks or Powerbooks. Your iBook's drive fails. But you can't get it fixed because Apple's not fixing laptops. So you're forced to wait, and wait, and wait. During this time, your iMac-toting friend gets his iMac's monitor fixed, and he's using it happily again. Apple's puting their desktop users ahead of their just as loyal laptop users. Wouldn't that piss you off?Yeah but selling iPod skins and no 'book skins is doing exactly what your mentioning. Putting iPod toting people infront of 'book owners.
They are putting iPod owners above 'book owners, seeing how they sell the ipod covers. However you slice it, they're taking too long a time and had they only taken a month or two they would've had a sale but this is ridiculous. I'd rather just use seranwrap now.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 02:57 AM

I feel so bad for all of you that are unable to use your computers to their full potential because of this disappointment. How dare Doug compromise the usability of your computer with providing false hopes?</sarcasm>

Give me a break, I don't see any of you putting as much effort into providing options for mac users as he is.

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 04:54 PM

The "all or nothing" model is one that's great in a service/repair situation, but we're talking about selling a product. He's already excluding Rio and walkman and dell owners -- is that bad? Before he said he'd never take pre-orders to finance a run, which I understand as a solid business decision. I've expressed interest in this product several times and am still very interested in this product. My expertise does not lie in manufacturing processes, so I'm just offering whatever I can come up with to help, because I did have a desire to do business with this company. Now, several months into waiting for the product, I'm wondering if we'll ever see any progress and offering the suggestion that came to mind. Clearly they're under no obligation to me, and I'm likewise under no obligation to him. If another product came to market to protect my ibook w/o obscuring it's beauty before MacSkinz does, then I'll probably buy that. I've found nothing, but I'm looking.

uberwald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
I feel so bad for all of you that are unable to use your computers to their full potential because of this disappointment. How dare Doug compromise the usability of your computer with providing false hopes?</sarcasm>

Give me a break, I don't see any of you putting as much effort into providing options for mac users as he is.
don't be an asshole. the fact that I'm not producing anything either doesn't change the fact that MacSkinz has been "coming soon" for MANY months now.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 04:59 PM

Personally, I think MacSkinz's a great product and if they open up the online store, they would be shipping them out really quick.

People who have seen my iBook before go "Wow! You painted your iBook?" and they go all crazy over it and ask me how it's being done.
Then after I show them, they wanna buy one too. Who doesn't?

BUT, the problem now is that the store is down, and until further notice, no one knows when it'll be back up, so I think everyone should quit their bitchin'.

I believe Doug would appreciate it too.

Cheerios.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 06:18 PM

Whats the holdup? How can a business not accept orders for so long?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 06:36 PM

It has really been way to long!

Forum Links
Forum Rules