Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CD Drive does not recognize cds for no apparent reason...

CD Drive does not recognize cds for no apparent reason...
Blanchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 01:56 AM

Thanks in advance for any help...

I have a cd-rw/dvd combo in my yikes g4. While burning a disk in Toast (OS X) I wanted to check my email, but just as I clicked the entourage icon I got 2 or 3 alert in toast (can't remember what it said... i/o error I think... very strange messages anyways), and now the burner doesn't recognize discs, cannot play them either.

I booted in OS 9, same problem. Same problem with Disc Burner. I inserted a DVD and it won't read it either.

OK, my burner seems dead. But my warranty is expired. This piece cost me a lot of $$$, and anyways I'm broke.

Is there a last resort I haven't tried? Anybody ever heard of this problem?

Please please please...

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 08:09 AM

i'm no genius by any means but is it recognized in the system profiler? driver problems? (or whatever you call it in OSX)last resort would be to try re-installing toast and the os...
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

Blanchard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 10:00 AM

ASP recognizes my driver. Reinstalling the OS wouldn't change anything. Remember that I rebooted in OS 9 and the problem was not solved.

I think that the it must have something to do with the laser mechanism. But the strangest part is that the drive stopped working the moment I clicked on the entourage icon.

Could it be that the laser lens (if that exists!) is dirty? Can it be cleaned? Can I poke in there with a pin or something to wake the drive? Is there anything short of 125$ or a prayer that could solve my problem? ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules