Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > When will we see new iSight?

When will we see new iSight?
vistax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 03:51 PM

I want to buy an iSight for my quicksilver, but really hope for an updated and maybe even cheaper iSight with eventually FrontRow support.

I think it's really insolent to sell these inferior cameras compared to the new integrated iSight.

Do you think there's a chance we'll see one anytime soon?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2006, 04:24 PM

I agree the iSight is way overpriced (espically if the rumors that it doesn't actually capture 640x480 are true), but I doubt Apple will drop the price anytime soon.

WTF does Front Row have to do with iSight?

The non-integrated iSight is better than the integrated iSight, becuase it autofocuses instead of using a fixed focus.

vistax  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I agree the iSight is way overpriced (espically if the rumors that it doesn't actually capture 640x480 are true), but I doubt Apple will drop the price anytime soon.

WTF does Front Row have to do with iSight?

The non-integrated iSight is better than the integrated iSight, becuase it autofocuses instead of using a fixed focus.
I thought that maybe a new version of iSight would have an IR port to allow older systems to participate of FrontRow. Especially the first generation of iMac G5s, that a member of my family owns, are kind of left behind I think. I know it's probably product policy not to offer this, so that you have to buy a new Mac to get FrontRow, but I really feel a little pissed because of that.

And thanks, I didn't know the thin with autofocus. Can you still recommend an iSight? Or wait for a new revision?

Thanks

vistax

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 05:48 PM

Perhaps never. I think Apple will build it into all their future computers.

MAYBE they will come out with a new one for MacMini users and studio displays but it might be USB 2.0.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 06:01 PM

Cinema displays with iSight built in. That's my tip.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
Cinema displays with iSight built in. That's my tip.
That is what I was thinking but many companies do not want cameras on every display for security reasons.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules