Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Preforma with OS 7.5.1

Preforma with OS 7.5.1
tbrock2000
Jan 23, 2000, 12:11 PM

I have a Preforma 6205CD with 32M of RAM and need to update my system to be able to do my taxes this year. So was wondering how far up the line I can go with OS upgrades. Can I use 8.something or have to stick with 7.5.somethings?

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2000, 01:09 PM

I think OS 7.5.5 (available for free with Apple) would be a very good choice for the Performa 6205 (75 MHz, as far as I know).

Alternatively, you can also use OS 7.6.1 (my favourite allround OS for non-G3 systems) and I am pretty sure that 8.1 will also run fine on this processor (but note that 8.0 is not recommendable and all 8.x versions take up more RAM than 7.x versions).

However, Apples says in their specs regarding the 6200:

>Mac OS Supported:
>7.5.1, 7.5.3, 7.5.5, 7.6, 7.6.1, 8.0

Best regards,

Walter.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2000, 02:26 PM

THESE ARE REPOSTS due to a DUPLICATE POSTIING that has been DELETED

stangold
Junior Member posted 01-23-2000 10:53 AM ��� ���� ��
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have installed at least 8.1 on this machine and it seems to work fine if you have enough memory installed in the machine. I maxed the memory out on this machine and eventhough it's a slow Mac it works fine.

Gregory
Member posted 01-23-2000 12:24 PM ��� ���� ��
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I upgraded someone's 6200 to 8.6 and RAM to 64MB. Runs fine. Otherwise, 7.5.5 is a free update. you can buy older software from Sun or Shreve on CD or just download updaters off Apple. There are also updaters for Mac OS on any Office or Word 98 CD if you have that.
Greg

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2000, 01:11 AM

You can go up to 9 if you want. 9 should work on any PPC computer, however the closer your computer is to PowerMac 6100/60 the slowe 9 is...

Seagull
Jan 24, 2000, 01:56 AM

This Mac has a PowerPC 603 processor at 75MHz. Because it has a PowerPC processor, you can run Mac OS 9 on this computer but since the 603 is the slowest of PowerPC processors and because the processor is only at 75MHz, it will be very slow running Mac OS 9, so earlier versions would be recommend. If you decide to run Mac OS 9, you should upgrade to at least 48MB of memory and buy RAM Doubler to triple that memory. For information on this Mac model, go to http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ma_6205cd.html

shorton
Jan 28, 2000, 05:28 PM

This is just speculation and not experience, but as long as you have enough RAM, I think that 8.6 or 9.0 might be the way to go. My understanding is that by 8.5 or so, Apple finally "got rid of" legacy 68K code in the I/O sections of the OS. Therefore, with less emulation to perform via a "slow" CPU and LOTS of RAM, you might actually be pleased with the performance of 8.6 or OS 9. However, with a 250Mhz G3 card in a 9600 (clone) I find the Multiuser function in OS9 to be VERY SLOW loggin on and off. Once logged in, it's brisk.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules