Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac G3 and Itunes 9.2

Imac G3 and Itunes 9.2
diabeticsyringe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2010, 10:54 PM

Hello all, I have an Imac G3 500MHZ 1GB ram 120GB HD running OS 10.4.11. I was running Itunes 9.0 but upgraded to 9.2.1 so I could use my 2nd Gen Itouch. I get a message when I start itunes saying I need to have a G4 or G5 to run Itunes 9.2.1. Is there a way to fool Itunes into thinking my G3 is a G4? I'm curious if there is a system file I could change so my G3 looks like a G4. I use my Imac for loading music to my family's ipods, Apple talking to Apple seems to work best. Its a nice little machine and works great for what I use it for. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 AM

Not sure there's much of a call for that sort of software, if it's even possible.

While an old Mac can keep going forever, there comes a time when you have to accept that new functionality is not going to be supported any more.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 02:08 PM

I'm sure it's possible to hack iTunes to bypass the CPU check it does, but it's really not worth your time. willed has it right.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 03:43 PM

This is a hack to modify the installer for Leopard:

10.5: Bypass the installer's system requirements check - Mac OS X Hints

Since they both use Apple installers, maybe the same trick will work on iTunes.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

diabeticsyringe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks for your responses. I was almost going to try and upgrade the OS but I'm probably as high as I can go. Time to start looking for another used Imac! This leads me to another question....Would it create any problems taking my 120GB drive out of the G3 and using it in a G4 system? Its been a long time since I've dealth with a unix based system. When I did they were Sun and SGI systems. Might be better to take my music backup and restore to the used Imac when I find one. Again thanks for your help.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 03:07 AM

The drive should boot a G4 Mac just fine. You shouldn't have any problems.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 02:37 PM

A standard PPC OS X installation can boot any PPC based Mac as long as the OS version that's installed came out after the other, newer Mac in question. For example, when I got a G4 mini I tried to load Tiger on it from my G5 by cloning my G5's drive. It would have worked except for the fact that the release of Tiger on the mini was a little newer than the release of Tiger on my G5. If you do find that the OS can't boot the newer hardware you're trying to run once you install the drive, you can just find an OS X DVD containing a sufficiently newer version of the OS and do an Archive and Install to get the newer Mac up and running.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2010, 07:16 PM

probably the easiest way around this is to use older ipods.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2010, 08:05 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules