Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS9 And Alert Dialog box

MacOS9 And Alert Dialog box
jrf42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2000, 09:27 PM

I am running MacOS9 in a PBG3 400MHz with 190+MB of RAM. Everytime I boot up the computer I get an Alert dialog box at the top of the screen. Most of the time there is no message in it and sometimes there are those indecipherable symbols! I have eliminated extension conflicts, reinstalled the OS Zapped PRAM, installed new driver,run Norton and TechTool. Nothing has worked. Anybody has any idea?

James Doyle
Jan 13, 2000, 12:53 AM

It sounds like something has gone missing with the ROM files, but otherwise I wouldn't know for sure - you didn't happen to use an old version of Norton, did you?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2000, 11:37 AM

One thing worth looking at is to verify System file with ResEdit and look for a modification date. Except for configuring a desktop printer, I keep my system locked. Some installers have installed and corrupted the system file since OS 9. And of course damaged prefs.

If you move your prefs folder out and reboot, does it go away? easy test.

I'm waiting for Disk Warrior 2.0 to arrive...

Jan 13, 2000, 06:21 PM

I have this exact same problem on two different computers running OS 9. Unlike you though it doesn't happen every time I boot the computer... it seems very random. One of the machines is my work computer which is a beige G3 266 with a fresh copy of OS 9, and the other is my home computer which is an iMac DV SE with a not so fresh copy of OS 9.

I also have a problem on my home computer where every single time I reboot or turn the computer on, it acts as if I didn't shut the computer down properly (which I always do, unless I crash of course) and goes through the whole process of checking my drive for errors... weird stuff, I'm going to try reinstalling OS 9 tonight probably unless anyone knows of an extension or something that may be causing this.

Christian Kittle

atomiks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2000, 07:18 PM

The drive-checking thing might be a problem with an invisible file called "ShutDown Check" or something similar... When in Sherlock, search for invisible files... Try deleting this one, should clear up that problem...

jrf42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2000, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by atomiks:
The drive-checking thing might be a problem with an invisible file called "ShutDown Check" or something similar... When in Sherlock, search for invisible files... Try deleting this one, should clear up that problem...
Hi,
I found the file 'Shutdown Check' with Sherlock. It is dimmed. How do I delete this kind of file? Any help would be appreciated.

jrf42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2000, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by James Doyle:
It sounds like something has gone missing with the ROM files, but otherwise I wouldn't know for sure - you didn't happen to use an old version of Norton, did you?
Hi,
I use the very latest version of Norton.

jrf42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2000, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Gregory:
One thing worth looking at is to verify System file with ResEdit and look for a modification date. Except for configuring a desktop printer, I keep my system locked. Some installers have installed and corrupted the system file since OS 9. And of course damaged prefs.

If you move your prefs folder out and reboot, does it go away? easy test.

I'm waiting for Disk Warrior 2.0 to arrive...
Hi,
I am sorry I did not mention that this does not happen every time I boot. It happens only occasionally and therefore I do not know when it will happen to remove the Pref files. Thanks for your response.

shorton
Jan 28, 2000, 05:52 PM

In the general controls control panel, you can disable the improper shutdown warning and it will prevent disk first aid from running. You can use a utility like file buddy or the old (pre version 5) Norton Disk editor to make a file visible (or resedit for free) and then drag it off to the trash and empty it.

I once had a similar problem with weird symbols vs. text that was due to a bad RAM chip. When removed, all was fine. My vendor replaced it and all has been well in the 2 years since.

jrf42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2000, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by shorton:
In the general controls control panel, you can disable the improper shutdown warning and it will prevent disk first aid from running. You can use a utility like file buddy or the old (pre version 5) Norton Disk editor to make a file visible (or resedit for free) and then drag it off to the trash and empty it.

I once had a similar problem with weird symbols vs. text that was due to a bad RAM chip. When removed, all was fine. My vendor replaced it and all has been well in the 2 years since.

Thanks a lot for the instructions. I trashed the file. I will watch for it. It is a random thing.

dhdalpra
Jan 30, 2000, 04:45 PM

jrf42,
Usually this message is displayed at startup when some piece of software did not load correctly (may be missing). Make sure there are no orphan aliases in your Startup Items folder (in System Folder). You could also try deleting the Finder and System files preferences. If you do a custom Sherlock search (check "Custom" button, open "Edit" tab and check "invisible" under advanced options) you will find all the invisible files on your drive. There is a freeware contextual menu item called "Change Visibility" which allows you to make invisible files visible. I have not used it, so I can't comment on its performance. Be sure you know what you're doing before you start trashing invisible files. If you find an orhan file from a long-trashed program that may be the source of your current problem, this would help you get rid of it. You might also use utilities such as Conflict Catcher and TechTool Pro to scan files for damage. Good luck.

jrf42  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2000, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by dhdalpra:
jrf42,
Usually this message is displayed at startup when some piece of software did not load correctly (may be missing). Make sure there are no orphan aliases in your Startup Items folder (in System Folder). You could also try deleting the Finder and System files preferences. If you do a custom Sherlock search (check "Custom" button, open "Edit" tab and check "invisible" under advanced options) you will find all the invisible files on your drive. There is a freeware contextual menu item called "Change Visibility" which allows you to make invisible files visible. I have not used it, so I can't comment on its performance. Be sure you know what you're doing before you start trashing invisible files. If you find an orhan file from a long-trashed program that may be the source of your current problem, this would help you get rid of it. You might also use utilities such as Conflict Catcher and TechTool Pro to scan files for damage. Good luck.
Hi dhdalpra,

Thanks for your input. I did what 'shorton' advised on 1/28 post. I have not seen the problem since then. However I have seen the window appearing with a readable message. Anyway there is no harm to find and delete any orphaned aliases. I think 'Spring Cleaning' would do this.It could very well be true because I had several aliases from MacOS 8.6 and they would be still there without their 'originals' after I installed OS 9. I would certainly look into this.
Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules