Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Sharing Fails to Start

File Sharing Fails to Start
stangold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 12:42 AM

File Sharing on my Mac 9600/350 running system 9.0 gives error message after startup that File Sharing cannot be enabled. Zaped PR, Rebuilt Desktop, threw out Finder Pref, mac OS pref., filesharing pref. Nothing seems to help. Never experienced this before. Tried running confict catcher but cannot find bad init. This all happened out of the clear blue. Would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks, Stan

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2000, 05:20 PM

There is an invisible file called AppleShare PDS in the root of your hard drive. Throw it away.

stangold  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2000, 07:34 PM

I erased the Appleshare PDS file using the umax program but this had no effect. System still comes up "File Sharing could not startup"

Even did another totally clean install of System 9 and got the same message after startup was completed.

Stan

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2000, 12:43 AM

Have you tried updating disk driver with Drive Setup?

stangold  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2000, 08:05 AM

Gene, that's a good idea. My main drive was automatically updated when I did a clean install of system 9 but my raid drives I use for video were not updated. I'll try to do the update. Thanks for the idea.

Stan

stangold  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2000, 08:34 AM

Gene, since the internal drive was updated by the installation of system 9 I turned off my raid drives and hurrah...the file sharing kicked in. So I have to find upates for my Raid Toolkit formatted raid system.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Stan

Forum Links
Forum Rules