Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Noise in the library

View Poll Results: What is an acceptable noise level in the library?
Poll Options:
Uncompromising quiet in common areas (group study rooms available) 14 votes (56.00%)
Select areas of quiet and other areas where normal chatter is allowed 10 votes (40.00%)
Normal volume allowed in all areas, including common areas 0 votes (0%)
Give the librarian a leather whip 6 votes (24.00%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
Noise in the library
lexapro
Baninated
Apr 24, 2009, 03:37 PM

While trying to study in a common area of the library yesterday a group of 4 other students were sitting at a large table and conversing in normal voice. This was highly distracting and made it really impossible to study. There is no shortage of group study rooms with doors to close, but they were not interested in moving. The librarian had to ask them twice to be quiet and a lot of other students were highly annoyed.

I go to the library for one reason: uncompromising quiet. Also the lack of computers and change of scenery make it possible for me to study for hours on end.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2009, 03:56 PM

Obviously these were not "good citizens" and they bothered a lot of people; a generic rule for "absolute silence throughout the library" wouldn't work on jerks like these anyway.

The last time I studied in a library, my classmates and I took a table in an otherwise vacant part of the library, but we kept our volume down while we quizzed each other. We were well aware that we were in a library, and that it was possible people we hadn't seen were trying to study nearby. That's called "good citizenship," and one would expect someone in a post-secondary environment to "get" that. At least I expect that... By the way, the library I was in is "zoned" with "normal public," "low level" and "quiet" areas, as well as a bunch of study rooms. It works well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2009, 04:19 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2009, 07:25 PM

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2009, 07:54 PM

I don't know if I'm "old school" but if I'm at the library, I expect that in common areas the noise level should be muted and the people should respect other's reading/studying.
~Mike

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 25, 2009, 09:49 PM

The japanese trump you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I606ovtavSQ

Regarding the topic though, what has surprised me in the past was when librarians went around looking for people who were asleep. At least that's what they thought they were doing. The only times they "woke" anyone up was when they simply couldn't see the person's eyes while standing up. It was really annoying to those people to be accused of that when they clearly weren't, and more disruptive to everyone in the vicinity if someone had been speaking.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2009, 02:35 PM

I hate studying in public places. I have to be in an empty room. That's not because I need quiet; I just find people in general incredibly distracting.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 26, 2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
The japanese trump you all:
Wow. That was actually funny.

Thanks for posting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules