Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple sends apology to developers for recent Mac App Store issues

Apple sends apology to developers for recent Mac App Store issues
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 18, 2015, 08:11 AM

Apple has sent an email to developers affected by an expired security certificate issue with the Mac App Store last week, apologizing and offering an explanation for what caused the problem. According to the email, a caching problem within the Mac App Store interfered with Apple's issuing of a new security certificate, one which caused a number of users to see a "damaged" error when using some of their apps, forcing a reinstallation in a number of instances.

"In anticipation of the expiration of the old Mac App Store certificate, we issued a new certificate in September," reads the message from Apple Developer Relations, shared on Twitter by Donald Southard Jr. "The new certificate used the stronger SHA-2 hashing algorithm in accordance with current recommended industry practice, where the old certificate had used the SHA-1 hashing algorithm."

A caching issue with with Mac App Store meant some users needed to restart their systems and re-authenticate with the Mac App Store to clear the cache of outdated certificate information, something Apple claims is being addressed in an upcoming OS X update. Apple also notes some apps are running receipt validation code using "very old versions of OpenSSL that don't support SHA-2," an issue addressed by replacing the new SHA-2 certificate with a new SHA-1 certificate.

It is believed most of the certificate-related issues are resolved, though some apps may experience "receipt verification failure if their receipt checking code makes incorrect assumptions about the certificate." Apple recommends developers make sure their code adheres to the Receipt Validation Programming Guide, and if needed, resubmit their app for an expedited review in iTunes Connect.

daqman
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2015, 09:30 AM

Nice apology to the developers. Meanwhile I have had to re-download about a dozen Apps from the App store before I could use them. The latest PDFPen Pro just an hour ago. There was a twist to that because the App store wanted me to spend $124 to re-purchase the App even though it was sitting in my list of Purchased Apps.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 18, 2015, 09:50 AM

We talked about the genesis of this particular issue on this week's main podcast. While I'm still good with Apple's hardware, I'm becoming increasingly concerned with the level of attention to detail (or seeming lack thereof) from the software developers at Cupertino.

daqman
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2015, 11:33 AM

Mike, yes, I second that opinion. I have had numerous problems with not only software but also services. Many things are not as stable as they should be or behave very differently from one machine to the next. For example, my wife updated to OSX 10.11.1 and many of the conversations in Mail are now unthreaded where I see no such issue. Detail and consistency are lacking.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 18, 2015, 12:12 PM

Dumbasses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules