Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any chance of Kazaa for Mac?

Any chance of Kazaa for Mac?
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 10:02 AM

Is there any technical reason Kazaa don't make an OSX client? Or do they just not consider it economical? Other clients for Mac just don't work as well for me as my firends with Kazaa. I've tried Limewire, Aquisition and have tried to use Neo, which I haven't been able to get anything out of.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 10:19 AM

I doubt it. If you are very desperate for Kazaa use it via VPC.
What did you want to download from Kazaa? I get music and stuff from KDX, fast and simple
we don't have time to stop for gas

mishap
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 11:39 AM

yeah.. there is nothing like Kazaa

so, either VPC or Microsoft RDC to use KaZaa on a mac.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 11:42 AM

NEO

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~mthole/neo/index.html

Its a shadow client for KaZaa. Basically that means the user host lists arent updated automatically, you have to manually download them. But once you do it works great, and has a very mac-like interface.

I wouldn't suggest using it on anything 56k or lower...but it works great on broadband.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 11:56 AM

I think I read that there was a technical reason Kaaza won't run on the mac. That's why Neo seems to be as close as we may get. I suggest VPC.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
Microsoft RDC to use KaZaa on a mac.
what is that?

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 12:27 PM

Yeah, well thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not spending �120 (or whatever VPC costs) to get free music! I'll have to try harder with Neo - I just got replies saying all IP addresses had been refused - all 3500 of them Kind of puts you off!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Yeah, well thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not spending �120 (or whatever VPC costs) to get free music! I'll have to try harder with Neo - I just got replies saying all IP addresses had been refused - all 3500 of them Kind of puts you off!
the best place for 'free music' is KDX ... I use KDX or Limewire for music, and Acq for everything else.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 12:49 PM

forgive me, I'm not familiar with KDX... what is it?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
the best place for 'free music' is KDX ... I use KDX or Limewire for music, and Acq for everything else.
Why don't you use Acquisition for music too? Seems like KDX is a whole lot of work searching for the file you want, esp if it's rare - and who's using Limewire anymore?

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 17, 2003, 02:02 PM

Fact is none of the Mac alternatives gives results like Kazaa. It really sucks. I'll make a prediction. By the time we get Kazaa, about a month later the RIAA will close it down. That is what happened with Napster and Audio Galaxy.

There is no reason why there can't be a Kazaa client written for OS X.

pyrocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 03:37 PM

Been using Acquisition for a couple of weeks with very good results. Used LimeWire since its first version for the Mac. The worst thing about all of these P2P apps are all the Windows viruses that are slowing down the internet within the past 3 weeks.

I don't see any difference in results for Kazaa on a peecee or Acquisition and LimeWire on a Mac. It all depends on the interface you like. The results are the same, and so are the speeds. No Windoz viruses mucking with the 'net, faster speeds!

pYrOcat

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 05:17 PM

Yeah but Limewire and Aqu simply don't work well for me. Over 90% of the time I get the search results but can't connect to the host. Something to do with being at a Uni which doesn't like P2P.
Thing is, why does it sometimes work (I got 1 file on Limewire today, tried about 10 at least, all T1 or T3 'reliable' connections)?? Confusing. My friends with Kazaa never have any probs like this. I've had to pretty much give up on P2P.

Isabella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 06:30 PM

F..k Limewire, Kazaa, Acqui... and the rest...
Get Direct Connect - it's AWESOME!!!!!

- and much better than kazaa ;-)

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Isabella:
F..k Limewire, Kazaa, Acqui... and the rest...
Get Direct Connect - it's AWESOME!!!!!

- and much better than kazaa ;-)
Link please
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I think I read that there was a technical reason Kaaza won't run on the mac. That's why Neo seems to be as close as we may get. I suggest VPC.
technical?

If someone wanted to they could port it into Cocoa, carbon, realBASIC, most anything. As long as they worked at Shaman (Spelling?) and had source code and the OK.

-Owl

mismith
Feb 17, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Link please
Link for Direct Connect

I haven't used it for 18 months or so, but they now claim that > 1 PETAbyte is shared.

Peace.

asmodeus
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2003, 01:25 AM

The open source giFT FastTrack (Kazaa) client/server works fine on OSX. It doesn't connect to the "official" Kazaa network though. There's two Cocoa frontends available - giFTBoX and Jim. Jim is based on giFTBoX.

When I used to use Kazaa on my PC it generally returned much worse results than any of the Gnutella clients I tried, especially compared to Shareaza 1.8, and most of the downloads never worked.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 18, 2003, 02:45 AM

The only thing I know is, I can find a lot more stuff on Kazaa that I look for than any other. (cept Napster and Audio Galaxy, but they are dead)

I look for odd stuff.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 06:43 AM

Has anybody got Freenet to work?

Also what about some talented programmer making a front end for it? (slate me for being incompetent / lazy if you will)

freenet

Also contentious quote of the week:
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

ambush
Banned
Feb 18, 2003, 08:23 AM

Kazaa on OSX? "No thanks"
Unless it has a "Don't install the spyware" option.

There again, It'd be easy to delete them ourselves. But Kazaa is a big piece of spyware that steals your cpu resources... so.. no.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 18, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
Kazaa on OSX? "No thanks"
Unless it has a "Don't install the spyware" option.

There again, It'd be easy to delete them ourselves. But Kazaa is a big piece of spyware that steals your cpu resources... so.. no.
Not Kazaa Lite that is supposed to be Spyware free. Besides the reason you'd want to use Kazaa is to steal movies, music, software etc, what's wrong with someone stealing some CPU cycles off you in exchange?
Neo doesn't work for me either, I left it to scan like 100,000 IPS and all were either refused or not found, not a single connect.....
( Last edited by rytc; Feb 18, 2003 at 10:09 AM. )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

I've used neo quite successfully, I'm not sure what you guys are doing different. I'll admit that neo doesnt get back as many finds in a search as kazaa, but most of the ones i've tried download just fine.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 18, 2003, 11:52 AM

cody it depends on what your looking for. See I was trying to find Queen Adreena's latest CD. Couldn't on ANY of the other programs but Kazaa. It sucks

coconut
Feb 18, 2003, 11:59 AM

I'm surprised nobody has already mentionned this...

Kazaa is no longer the best p2p program on the PC... If you go to zeropaid.com (p2p portal), you'll see that Donkey is the highest-rated p2p network. The best thing about it is that it works flawlessly on the mac.

I like it a lot because there are actually donkey www links that you can CLICK on and instantly download...

For install instructions:

http://homepage.mac.com/michelmoreau
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 02:02 PM

which file is the right one to get for MacDonkey? the one i downloaded was in French.....

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
technical?

If someone wanted to they could port it into Cocoa, carbon, realBASIC, most anything. As long as they worked at Shaman (Spelling?) and had source code and the OK.

-Owl
Yeah "technical"... it was my understanding that Kazaa re-encrypts its protocol everynight so that a real client, unless it was official, would not be possible. This is why we have Neo, which is only a Shadow client.

In other news, there is also SoulseekX which connects to the Soulseek network, but it's still fairly alpha.

Direct Connect works pretty well, just connect to a server with 150+ people and SOMEONE's bound to have a file you're looking for.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

ohm^n
Feb 26, 2003, 02:20 PM

SoulSeek's not bad. Java kills me though. I'm thinking about pulling an Acquisition and either wrapping a nice Cocoa interface around it, or just starting from scratch to speed it up a bit.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by ohm^n:
SoulSeek's not bad. Java kills me though. I'm thinking about pulling an Acquisition and either wrapping a nice Cocoa interface around it, or just starting from scratch to speed it up a bit.
I only use Soulseek on VPC 6 for music these days.. nothing beats it even on Windows, so a OS X version would be excellent

ohm^n
Feb 26, 2003, 03:50 PM

There is an osx version, its just in java, and i thought it was slow. You can get it at the link above my previous post

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Yeah "technical"... it was my understanding that Kazaa re-encrypts its protocol everynight so that a real client, unless it was official, would not be possible.
Nope. Sharman Networks has a binding contract with Gorkster and iMesh stating that there will be no modifications to the network without their OK. And since KaZaA isn't allowed to update Grokster of iMesh, you see that it may work if you break their encryption.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Yeah "technical"... it was my understanding that Kazaa re-encrypts its protocol everynight so that a real client, unless it was official, would not be possible.
Nope. Sharman Networks has a binding contract with Gorkster and iMesh stating that there will be no modifications to the network without their OK. And since KaZaA isn't allowed to update Grokster of iMesh, you see that it may work to clone the client if you break their encryption.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 10:54 PM

willed -

Are you using Kazaa on a PC on the same network/port as Acquisition on the Mac? I have both a PC running Morph2 and a Mac running Acquisition and I've never missed a download on Acquisition - in fact Acq is generally FASTER on a 3 year old iBook than Morph is on a 2gHz PC! Again, this is on the EXACT SAME NETWORK.

Frankly, the difference in interface and (lack of) banner ads in Acq versus Morph alone is worth it for me.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 10:56 PM

willed -

Are you using Kazaa on a PC on the same network/port as Acquisition on the Mac? I have both a PC running Morph2 and a Mac running Acquisition and I've never missed a download on Acquisition - in fact Acq is generally FASTER on a 3 year old iBook than Morph is on a 2gHz PC! Again, this is on the EXACT SAME NETWORK.

Frankly, the difference in interface and (lack of) banner ads in Acq versus Morph alone is worth it for me. Morpheus is (like many Windows apps out there) a real media whore. Acquisition is about as functional and nonintrusive an interface as you can get.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 12:32 AM

echo....echo ..... ;-)

mldonkey is great, but I found it's forced uploads quite deadly on my connection, so i use my "special" PC version once in a while. mldonkey, at least in the CVS version I toyed with long ago, had many protocols integrated, including soulseek etc.

kazaa worked alright in VPC, untill the crashes...works great on my free P1 133 I have now, pretty much dedicated to kazaa. it's faster than VPC anyway. that evil Kazaa filled my new 80gb hard drive way too fast! ;-)

please, no one use JIM, it's an illegal duplication of GiftBoX (sf.net/projects/giftbox). if you don't know what "compile", "CVS", or "sourceforge" is, it's probably a good idea to wait until the giFT network is ready for you (it's small right now).

If any of you do go the PC/VPC way, there's WinMX, which I'm told has more highquality MP3's than kazaa and it's many low quality MP3s.

otherwise, there's the good 'ole Carracho.com
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

harlan22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 07:52 AM

Ever tried xnap? It's a winmx-like file sharing program, (or maybe more lopster-like), written in java.
Work with opennap and connects automatically to all servers found. It has some problems with upload, though, that is people downloading from you cannot exceed 50 kb/sec, but there are no problems if you download from winmx users, you can go over 200-300 kb/s (depends on how much band they give to you)

Oh, the site is http://xnap.sourceforge.net
current version is 2.4-pre5, but i think more of the bugs it has got will be fixed soon.
Bye

harlan22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 07:56 AM

ok, now i've seen that there's a 2.4-final snapshot available at http://xnap.sf.net/snapshot

Forum Links
Forum Rules