Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OD and AD Integration Questions

OD and AD Integration Questions
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 03:11 PM

What is OD and AD and how can it be integrated into Mac OS?

iStudent 2003
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 03:16 PM

I am trying to setup a directory service on a network that uses both Mac and Windows systems. My problem, is do I go with OD (Open Directory) from Apple or AD (Active Directory) from Microsoft? We currently don�t have Mac OS X Server or Windows Server 2003.

My ultimate goal here is to setup a directory service, so no matter what platform the users log into they will only have access to their files and programs, and I (the admin) will be able to see their screens. We�re on a fairly tight budget, so we can only afford OD (Mac OS X Server) or AD (Windows Server 2003).

Do I have to uses OD in conjunction with AD to fully integrate the two platforms; or can I use one or the other?

I would prefer to go with OD, because the license is so much easier to work with than AD, and it's one less thing here that says Microsoft.

MacShodan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 04:53 AM

As long as I know, Open Directory is the open source equivalent to Microsoft Active Directory.
Mac OS X Server use OD to implements services that Active Directory does in WIndows Server, but you can have the same stuffs. If you want to use a Mac Server you have to implement open directory, other wise you'll have active directory.
After that you can monitor other pc's with Apple remote admin, that controls any VNC client around here...

Forum Links
Forum Rules