Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My mod and my preposition!

My mod and my preposition!
szsiddiq
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 07:55 PM

Ok, so I've been getting materials together for a mod ive been working on. So far, i haven't said what it will be (to the aggrivation of many), other than the fact that its for a 12" powerbook.

Now here's the problem - Im having trouble financing and allocating some materials that Id need.

I wanted to use this forum to find out two things.
1.) What are some alterations you'd make to your powerbook if you could?

2.) If said alterations turned out to be part of the mod, or would be considered in it, would you consider donating to (either financially or with parts). In terms of money, I need about $300 US. In terms of parts that I don't have yet, I need a spare top and bottom case for the 12" powerbook.

If people's demands seem to match the mod i had in mind, I'll reveal the mod concepts.

Once the mod is complete and revealed, I may take orders, and have people send theirs in to be modded (for a price which I've not yet determined). This would probably only take place in a small volume (if the mod turns out well, Apple would probably slap me on the wrist). But we'll wait and see when it's all done.

If i have all the materials i need by next week, the mod can be finished as early as the beginning december.

Now i kno a lot of you are going to jump on me for being so vague about the mod, so apologies in advance.
( Last edited by szsiddiq; Nov 13, 2006 at 08:59 PM. )

ibook_steve
Nov 13, 2006, 08:42 PM

You're basically asking people for money for a modification that you won't reveal what it is, and yet you can't even spell "proposition" correctly (along with a number of other words and lousy grammar)? No thanks. Good luck with your mystery mod and raising the cash.

Steve

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
You're basically asking people for money for a modification that you won't reveal what it is, and yet you can't even spell "proposition" correctly (along with a number of other words and lousy grammar)? No thanks. Good luck with your mystery mod and raising the cash.

Steve
if nothing else, what you'd like to see in a mod is all im asking for.
also, they're called typos, and macnn doesn't allow renaming of threads, so i cudnt fix it.

Also, I said if the mod was to peoples demands, would they consider - consider is all i asked - donating.

and, your grammer isnt so great yourself. the point is that i was able to follow what you were saying.

If this thread is an offense to anyone, the mods can close it. I don't want to cause a ruckus.
( Last edited by szsiddiq; Nov 13, 2006 at 08:56 PM. )

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 09:01 PM

Perhaps if you drew a rough sketch - or described with a little more detail what you wanted to do, you wouldn't be nailed for a dumb grammar mistake.

You're in the lion's den. But don't let that discourage you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Perhaps if you drew a rough sketch - or described with a little more detail what you wanted to do, you wouldn't be nailed for a dumb grammar mistake.

You're in the lion's den. But don't let that discourage you.
thanks for the encouragement! im sworn to secrecy about the primary modification, but i can let out a few of the minor ones:
1.) Adding fans
2.) Clearing space to add these fans, and to increase air flow through the casing. The modem is a definate chuck. The superdrive may go too (I rarely use it, and now that this is my second computer, i can live without an internal one.
3.) The space cleared may also allow for added usb ports and a second harddrive.
4.) Considering adding an IR receiver, and enabling front row - this is probably not going to happen, considering the Front Row Enabler hack is bricking machines with 10.4.8. I might just add the IR receiver and let it rest until there's a more stable hack out there.

So far thats all I can say. As things come together, I'll continue to add more. But like i said, I'd like to hear what features people would like to see in a mod.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by szsiddiq View Post
thanks for the encouragement! im sworn to secrecy about the primary modification, but i can let out a few of the minor ones:
1.) Adding fans
2.) Clearing space to add these fans, and to increase air flow through the casing. The modem is a definate chuck. The superdrive may go too (I rarely use it, and now that this is my second computer, i can live without an internal one.
3.) The space cleared may also allow for added usb ports and a second harddrive.
4.) Considering adding an IR receiver, and enabling front row - this is probably not going to happen, considering the Front Row Enabler hack is bricking machines with 10.4.8. I might just add the IR receiver and let it rest until there's a more stable hack out there.

So far thats all I can say. As things come together, I'll continue to add more. But like i said, I'd like to hear what features people would like to see in a mod.
There ya go, that's more interesting...

a few thoughts:

An extra HD would be great - maybe something hot swappable with other HDs, a battery, or even a burner; although firewire/usb options are more affordable and offer larger space, it's still another brick to carry around.

The extra fans bring to mind overclocking; cpu or gpu.
(or just to cool the extra HD!)

Though I don't use IR, it could be used for more mundane remote control TV surfing; on the high end, anything that uses a remote could be controlled. I think the really old Macs had IR. But that was before everything was controllable.

More ports are always good - so rip out that modem, add some USB/FW, and have a ball. Good luck!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 09:46 PM

i kno MCE makes a bay to take care of adapting the hard drive...anyone know what type of cable goes into the superdrive, and if it can be converted to a standard harddrive port? In the end i might just get a usb encloser and do it, but itd be more stable if i cud interface right to the ide.

Id love to overclock, but im not sure i could risk soldering peices of the motherboard. Do you know of any overclocking guides for the 12" powerbook?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 09:50 PM

That is vague. I have no clue what to say. More info needed, please. But if you just want a plain idea for any kind of mod, I would paint it Ferrari red.

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That is vague. I have no clue what to say. More info needed, please.
Aside from what ive already stated, the powerbook is also going to be thinner over all. Its currently 1.2in, and im aiming for 1in or less.

Otherwise, ill keep updating the post as details progress.

ibook_steve
Nov 13, 2006, 10:02 PM

1.) Adding fans

Sworn to secrecy by whom? The Mod Police? I'm not quite sure I understand why you are so secretive about this.

In any case, why would you intentionally add fans, potentially making the machine louder? I'd rather have a mod where the airflow was such that the fan could be completely removed. Unfortunately, that's pretty much an impossible dream with today's machines.

Chucking the modem is a good idea, no problem there.

I'm not sure how you would get USB over to the optical drive bay, unless you are thinking of getting it off of the Bluetooth USB connection. This won't work and you won't get the power you need.

I'm guessing for the hard drive in the optical bay, you want to use the optical drive ATA connection. Not all the needed control signals for a hard drive are present on this connection and even if they were, modding the flex cable would be a major pain in the ass.

IR would be off of USB, I guess.

Again, good luck, but I'm not quite sure if you'll get any "donations" without more details.

Steve

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 10:15 PM

Good points
Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Sworn to secrecy by whom? The Mod Police? I'm not quite sure I understand why you are so secretive about this.
There's a back story, and im not going into :-p

In any case, why would you intentionally add fans, potentially making the machine louder? I'd rather have a mod where the airflow was such that the fan could be completely removed. Unfortunately, that's pretty much an impossible dream with today's machines.
It is impossible. The fans in adding will likely be smaller and oriented different. I also plan to add some heats syncs after some testing (tho its fairly obviously the cpu, gpu, and dc board are the cause of much of the heat. The logic board and the dc board are sandwiched together, so if i find a way to seperate them a bit, thats also a prioity.

Chucking the modem is a good idea, no problem there.
Thats wut i said when i realized it wasnt intergrated onto the logicboard (tho the modem port is).

I'm not sure how you would get USB over to the optical drive bay, unless you are thinking of getting it off of the Bluetooth USB connection. This won't work and you won't get the power you need.
I have to get in there and have a look at the ribbons used on both ends. The superdrive ribbon looks like its just a sliver on one side. Any details on this would be great.

I'm guessing for the hard drive in the optical bay, you want to use the optical drive ATA connection. Not all the needed control signals for a hard drive are present on this connection and even if they were, modding the flex cable would be a major pain in the ass

agreed. and even if i used a usb to ide cable, powering the drive wouldn't be simple.

IR would be off of USB, I guess.
Uhuh, there's a helpful mod online where someone added a bluetooth usb adapter inside of their iBook. That mods been very helpful for me.

Again, good luck, but I'm not quite sure if you'll get any "donations" without more details.
Im not expecting donations right off the back, so no big deal. As i get to say more and more about the mod, if someone finds they'd like to support it somehow, then awesome! if not, then even opinions and suggestions are quite valuable to me.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 10:48 PM

i kno MCE makes a bay to take care of adapting the hard drive...anyone know what type of cable goes into the superdrive, and if it can be converted to a standard harddrive port? In the end i might just get a usb encloser and do it, but itd be more stable if i cud interface right to the ide.

Id love to overclock, but im not sure i could risk soldering peices of the motherboard. Do you know of any overclocking guides for the 12" powerbook?
If you don't understand how optical and harddrives interface, you really shouldn't consider doing any of this stuff. You're talking about some advanced stuff and you don't know the basics.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBiologist View Post
If you don't understand how optical and harddrives interface, you really shouldn't consider doing any of this stuff. You're talking about some advanced stuff and you don't know the basics.
this is why im asking. after researching some more, adding another hard drive would be way to difficult, with out forking over the money for the MCE optibay - which adds the bulk of the superdrive back on.

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 11:20 PM

I need about $300 US.
Go to the bank. Or better yet, get a job.

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by dissapointed View Post
Go to the bank. Or better yet, get a job.
funny.
i have a job.

Im only asking for donations if someone would like to contribute to the mod. If not, thats fine.

tintin220
Nov 13, 2006, 11:40 PM

szsiddiq, don't get defensive. How do you expect people to react? You tell us next to nothing yet you ask for our ideas and our money.

Hence, the skepticism.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post
szsiddiq, don't get defensive. How do you expect people to react? You tell us next to nothing yet you ask for our ideas and our money.

Hence, the skepticism.
Yea, i understand. I'll just do the best with what ive got until then.
thanks

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That is vague. I have no clue what to say. More info needed, please. But if you just want a plain idea for any kind of mod, I would paint it Ferrari red.
tha would be sweet. im doing two mods myself, i sent a casing from one of my 1.67ghz 15" pb to get anodized, and the another casing from a similar computer is being used to make carbon fiber case instead of the aluminum one. once i get that all done, ill post pics and take orders if anyone is interested......thread jack over

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 08:49 AM

I would definitely add Sprint EVDO rev A. I guess a killer GPU might be a hard thing.

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
tha would be sweet. im doing two mods myself, i sent a casing from one of my 1.67ghz 15" pb to get anodized, and the another casing from a similar computer is being used to make carbon fiber case instead of the aluminum one. once i get that all done, ill post pics and take orders if anyone is interested......thread jack over
haha - where could you get a custom carbon fiber case made anyways?

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
I would definitely add Sprint EVDO rev A. I guess a killer GPU might be a hard thing.
an EVDO card would be easily do able - there should be plenty of space- but ive no need for it for my personal mod. if the mod takes off id be happy to take custom orders to add an EVDO card into the mix.

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 10:51 PM

Some news:
Decided to let go of some of the secrecy.
Here's a hint:
Inkwell

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 11:13 PM

Laser-ectch the lid of my PowerBook, give me EVDO built in, turn my trackpad into a Wacom tablet, give me a better speaker system, and turn my optical bay into a swappable optical/HD/second-battery bay and I will love you forever.
Not saying I'll give you donations to try it, but...man that would be cool. Haha.
Good luck with your endeavors.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 AM

haha - where could you get a custom carbon fiber case made anyways?
im highly involved with racing motorcycles. We have a carbon supplier that can make molds of anything. So i sent him casings from one of my 15" 1.67ghz pb's for him to make a mold and then replicate them in pre-preg carbon fiber. its gonna be sweet! pre-preg is highly sought after since the epoxy is already applied to the carbon while it is being woven( is that a word? lol). the most common, and cheaper way to do it is to apply the epoxy after it is molded, but doing it that way does not give you the same luster and shine as pre-preg, plus it makes it heavier. I think i will be the only person on the planet with a pre-preg carbon fiber powerbook

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Laser-ectch the lid of my PowerBook, give me EVDO built in, turn my trackpad into a Wacom tablet, give me a better speaker system, and turn my optical bay into a swappable optical/HD/second-battery bay and I will love you forever.
Not saying I'll give you donations to try it, but...man that would be cool. Haha.
Good luck with your endeavors.
I'll tell you this much: the laser etching is not happening in my personal mod, but can probably be done by a third party. the swappable optical/hd/second battery bay is a possible feat, but not part of my project yet. in fact the optical drive in my project is being removed to make space.
the evdo built in is relatively simple, if sprint makes usb evdo card (i dont think this has been released yet). once this is released, itll be a relatively easy install.
as for the wacom tablet and the better speaker system

Thanks for your input! keep it coming

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 01:52 AM

im highly involved with racing motorcycles. We have a carbon supplier that can make molds of anything. So i sent him casings from one of my 15" 1.67ghz pb's for him to make a mold and then replicate them in pre-preg carbon fiber. its gonna be sweet! pre-preg is highly sought after since the epoxy is already applied to the carbon while it is being woven( is that a word? lol). the most common, and cheaper way to do it is to apply the epoxy after it is molded, but doing it that way does not give you the same luster and shine as pre-preg, plus it makes it heavier. I think i will be the only person on the planet with a pre-preg carbon fiber powerbook
lol, well you've got connections. that'll be a hot case. how much is it costing you?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 08:46 AM

Someone's probably mentioned kill the magnetic latch and get one like the Macbook? I'd love that. Oh and that plating of the aluminum; not painting, in black shouldn't be too hard. Carbon fiber casing seems too expensive, no?

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 11:30 PM

lol, well you've got connections. that'll be a hot case. how much is it costing you?
connections indeed, since it is on the house lol

the only thing i have to provide is patience since it is free i cannot hassle him for taking his time, but i know he shall have it to me hopefully before xmas, if not then right after the new years. this is the time when all the teams are putting in orders for bodywork for their 2007 bikes, so things can get somewhat crazy.

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 10:12 AM

connections indeed, since it is on the house lol

the only thing i have to provide is patience since it is free i cannot hassle him for taking his time, but i know he shall have it to me hopefully before xmas, if not then right after the new years. this is the time when all the teams are putting in orders for bodywork for their 2007 bikes, so things can get somewhat crazy.
thats just hot. if you can convince him to do another let me know! id pay

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 03:00 PM

thats just hot. if you can convince him to do another let me know! id pay
when i get the casings mounted up ill take some pics, some regular, and some macro, and post them up. Then if you guys like them then ill see what he can do and how many orders he can get done at a time. Ill keep you guys posted.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by tintin220 View Post

Hence, the skepticism.
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

kondspi
Jan 25, 2007, 04:57 PM

Is it anything like the ModBook?

Axiotron : Home

szsiddiq  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2007, 05:27 PM

ya, only much less sophisticated, lol

materials wise, this costs around $300-$350 (not including the powerbook itself), but could be made even cheaper (i spent quite a bit on experimentation and tools). so this mod would be great for those who dont want to spend a bunch on a modbook and who already own a 12" powerbook.

btw, i finally got my laptop from work, and have taken apart my 12" powerbook and am waiting on my dremel to come in from amazon. then the fun starts. heres a pick of my gutted powerbook (sorry, my macbooks built in isight is the only camera i have at the moment:
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....2&d=1169614149

Forum Links
Forum Rules