Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > drop a 12" powerbook into a clamshell case?

drop a 12" powerbook into a clamshell case?
rubycreek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 03:25 PM

Hi, I'm brand new (first post here). I found the clamshell mod thread, and man are you guys brave! I have a 12" powerbook (867, not that it matters) and an indigo blue iBook. I think eventually I would like to put the entire guts of the 12, LCD and all, into the clamshell case. Has anyone done this? Thought about it? Think it's remotely possible?

I'd appreciate any input!
Brooke

szsiddiq
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 03:40 PM

hehe, when i read this i was like "why?" . but thats just me being a jerk! best of luck with your mod, and welcome to the mod world

If you want more info and support on your mod, macmod.com is a great place to look.

best of luck!

PS: check the link in my sig for a look at mods im working on

rubycreek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2007, 04:19 PM

Well, a few months ago my pretty little 12 took a dive onto a concrete floor and wrinkled her case. The iBook is practically mint, I bought it used off of a lease, and I think the people who leased it must have left it in a closet the whole time! I LOVE the clamshell look, so, given that my powerbook doesn't look that great anymore, I'm thinking eventually (and I mean when I get enough money to buy a 12" MacBook, should Apple ever make one) I will combine the brains and the looks. I've never done a mod, so for now I'm just going to make the Apple in my 12 a nice purple.

szsiddiq
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 10:25 PM

are you planning on taking apart you powerbook b4 to spray paint?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 11:30 AM

It's unlikely. The logic board of a 12" PowerBook is a significantly different size than that of a clamshell. The clamshell logic board is long and flat, and the PowerBook board is square with a chunk cut out for the battery - but it's still wider than the clamshell's board.

The only way that anyone is ever going to get a new logic board into a clamshell iBook is if (a)someone manufactures a custom board for this purpose, or (b)some ultraportable laptop is released with a tiny enough logic board that it will fit - without cooling being an issue.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules