Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule Q's

Time Capsule Q's
dennett
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2009, 08:58 PM

Try not to laugh too hard but I'm still using an original 8 year old Apple AirPort, even though I have newer Macs in the house capable of using the newer airports. Would it make sense to buy a Time Capsule to replace my old AirPort and to use for wireless back-up? I have an old iBook and TiBook with old airport cards, would those still work with a Time Capsule?

ibook_steve
Jan 3, 2009, 11:21 PM

Yes, a Time Capsule would work fine and be fine with your older machines. Obviously, wireless backups or using it as NAS would be slower because the machines don't have 802.11n, but it would still work.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2009, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! It sounds as though the Time Capsule would be a good combination unit for us. What is NAS?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2009, 02:30 AM

Network Attached Storage. Basically it's a drive found on a network device, rather than connected to a particular computer, which computers can use to backup to.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2009, 04:54 PM

You'll want to keep your old Airport around in bridge mode to connect your legacy systems with deprecated wifi standards to so they don't impact the performance of your modern clients.

Forum Links
Forum Rules