Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New Airport won't work with old Powerbook

New Airport won't work with old Powerbook
dennett
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2009, 04:39 PM

Just got a new Airport/Time Capsule (works fine with my new Macs) but my old Titanium Powerbook cannot log in to it. My older Powerbook only has WEP login and the new Time Capsule is WPA. Is there some way around this? I am so not good at this type of stuff, would appreciate some advice please.

Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2009, 04:46 PM

All the titaniums supported only 802.11b. Check your Airport to see if it is n or g mode; if so try a mode that supports b. If that's the case then you could get a compatible pcmcia card WPA-capable. There are other options like an airport express in wep mode; a wifi-to-ethernet bridge; or a Mac-compatible usb wifi stick.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks - I can sign in as a guest if I turn off the security (which I wont do - just to test it) and I was able to get online so I know it can receive the signal - just cant seem to log on to WPA security

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2009, 06:09 PM

What OS is your TiBook running? OS 9 doesn't support WPA, and I don't believe versions of OS X prior to Panther (10.3) support WPA.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 24, 2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that model regardless of OS does not support WPA -- to use the same AP you will have to step down to WEP. Or I would suggest using a ethernet to wireless bridge or a usb stick if you can find one.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2009, 10:38 AM

Go with a bridge instead of basically abandoning all security by "stepping down to WEP." WEP is poo on a stick; it is trivial to break with tools that are easily and freely available on the Internet. Run, fast and far, away from any potential to "need only WEP"! WPA is truly secure (as long as you use a decent password) and WPA2 is even better. And they're supported by all current manufacture equipment. A bridge (or "game adapter" as they're sometimes known) will run you anywhere from about $50 to over $100, but all you need is for it to support at least 802.11g and WPA.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2009, 11:05 AM

Thank you for the help. Maybe this is a sign I need a new MacBook, I have gotten many years out of this old one, just another testament to the shelf-life of Macs!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 25, 2009, 12:15 PM

Not shelf life, WORKING life. A new MacBook would not be a bad thing. You might consider an MBP though. Higher end and more capable, like the TiBook was when it was new.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules