Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto move to new hard drive?

iPhoto move to new hard drive?
dennett
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 12:04 PM

I bought a new external hard drive because my iPhoto was getting out of control huge on my Powerbook G4. Is it possible (or wise) to move the application to the hard drive (although I want it on my laptop when I travel) or just my photo albums or just archive?
Is it possible to store my photo library on my hard drive - or just better to use it as a back up?
Not sure how to proceed here. Thanks!

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 03:43 PM

I left the application on my main computer, then moved the library to an external hard drive. I have two externals, so I occasionally back the library up from one to the other. (I use chronosync for this.)

Hope this helps! I put my itunes library on the external, too. My computer has only a 20 GB drive (it's four years old), with part of that partitioned off for OS9, so space was really, really an issue. Having those two libraries on the external helped tremendously.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 05:54 PM

Question: for those whose iPhoto library is on an external drive, how easy is it to move albums over to a powerbook/ibook's local hard drive temporarily to take on the road?

Forum Links
Forum Rules