Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Hard Drive question

External Hard Drive question
worldwearyeyes
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 04:32 PM

Found a good deal on this hdd. Any idea why this one would say PC only, but another Maxtor says PC & Mac? I went to the maxtor site and it says the same thing. I'm sure this will work with my macbook; I'd just like a little confirmation.

http://tinyurl.com/p5qvj

Cheers....

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 05:38 PM

The Maxtor site says that the drive in this box is preformatted for NTFS. THAT is a definite limitation! OS X can read NTFS, but cannot write to it. I don't know if Disk Utility can reformat an external drive from NTFS into HFS+ or some other OS X-compatible format. That would definitely be the issue with this device.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

worldwearyeyes  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The Maxtor site says that the drive in this box is preformatted for NTFS. THAT is a definite limitation! OS X can read NTFS, but cannot write to it. I don't know if Disk Utility can reformat an external drive from NTFS into HFS+ or some other OS X-compatible format. That would definitely be the issue with this device.
Where do you see that? Think my PC could reformat it to FAT?

Thanks for the help, ghporter.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 06:25 PM

Disk utility shouldn't have any problems reformatting it as HFS (if you're Mac only) or FAT32 (if you need to access it from both platforms).

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks mduell-I don't have any experience in reformatting foreign disks with DU.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules