Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Coffee spilled in Apple keyboard

Coffee spilled in Apple keyboard
dennett
Forum Regular
May 25, 2009, 12:27 PM

Our dog jumped up and spilled my wife's coffee into our iMac's keyboard. The spacebar no longer works, plus other keys stick. How can we clean it out?? Do we just need a new one?
Thanks in advance!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2009, 02:09 PM

Replacement most likely needed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2009, 02:17 PM

I never have drinks within reach of my keyboard, always on a separate surface for just this scenario.

Keyboard cheap, iMacs and others not.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 31, 2009, 03:53 PM

stand by for a new keyboard. But, if you are resigned to buying a new one try this first.

Put the keyboard in the dishwasher with no salt or liquid and run on coolest setting. Leave keyboard in warm dry place for a couple of days.

Worst case you still need a new keyboard, but I've had several clients report their keyboards comng back to life after a good wash.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Put the keyboard in the dishwasher with no salt or liquid and run on coolest setting. Leave keyboard in warm dry place for a couple of days.
I used to do that to a white Apple Keyboard -plastic enclosure- without any issues, but I thought you can't do that to the newest keyboards -aluminum enclosure- since they sort of melt… isn't it so?

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 31, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I used to do that to a white Apple Keyboard -plastic enclosure- without any issues, but I thought you can't do that to the newest keyboards -aluminum enclosure- since they sort of melt… isn't it so?
The new ones should stand up to a very cool rinse, but yes the older ones are better for washing.

As I said best to bank on a new keyboard, but try this anyway.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification Andrew.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2009, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
So while plastic apparently survived just fine, aluminum is supposed to melt at, hmm, let's say 150F?

Forum Links
Forum Rules