Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare warranties

AppleCare warranties
dennett
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2002, 03:49 PM

We're about to kick down on a new Ti and are wondering about the Applecare warranty. How are the Tis holding up? We'll be using our gold card which will give us a second year of coverage, so I'm thinking the $349 for Applecare is a bit much. The gold card coverge won't add a 4th year of coverage but would add a second year.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2002, 05:01 PM

TiBooks are fine until you drop them or spill something on them. I don't think you should invest in an AppleCare warranty so soon. If your machine seems to be having problems after about eight or nine months, an AppleCare warranty might become more appealing. Keep in mind that you don't have to buy it until right before your warranty expires.

I think two years is good enough. I have a 500-megahertz Pismo that I sent off to Apple today, and my credit card company is paying for it.

If you're buying the machine from CompUSA, you can get their warranty which covers accidental damage as well. AppleCare only covers defects. Also, the CompUSA warranty will replace your machine with whatever costs what your machine did when it was new if they can't replace the machine with the same exact unit.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2002, 05:39 PM

I appreciate the reply Sean! I'm buying the Ti through the Apple store for Ed getting the current $90 discount which drops the price down to $2071. We were going to go for an iBook, but the Ti is just too cool to resist. I'll take your advice on waiting to decide on applecare for 11 months or so.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by dennett:
<STRONG>I appreciate the reply Sean! I'm buying the Ti through the Apple store for Ed getting the current $90 discount which drops the price down to $2071. We were going to go for an iBook, but the Ti is just too cool to resist. I'll take your advice on waiting to decide on applecare for 11 months or so.</STRONG>
Buy insurance like Safeware,com!

for $120 they will cover anything except normal mechanical repair!

(theft, accidential drop, lightning, power surge, spilled coke, cat urine, dog tripping over power cord, son shooting bbs at target ads on screen, etc,

iMan
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2002, 01:12 PM

Hello,

At Outpost.com you can get the PowerBook AppleCare for $299.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3185600/

But I would also use it for a while, see how it holds up and then make the extended warranty decision.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules