Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Getting Serious About Bicycling-Have Some Questions

Getting Serious About Bicycling-Have Some Questions (Page 2)
tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's basically impossible to get an off-road bike without a front suspension these days, but that's because it's so useful to have. Rear suspension is something I'd avoid, unless you have tons of money, and even then, I'd consider avoiding it. It robs you of power, and adds weight, especially if you're at the lower end of the market.
Cyclocross anyone? For example: 2008 Cannondale Cross XR 6

tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My problem with clipless pedals and shoes is the cost of the shoes. Of course there are probably less expensive ways to buy shoes, but my bike shop had a wide assortment of shoes for clipless pedals-all in the $100+ range. I just spent a lot on the bike, and I really can't afford to buy the pedals and shoes right now.
Just get 'em when you have the cash. Clips are a good interim solution. A lot of people talk about power transfer with clipless and that is true, but there is a safety element in that they keep your foot from sliding off the pedal ... especially when powering up those mountains you someday will be climbing ...

Believe me, you will enjoy yourself and eventually want to put more into it over time.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My problem with clipless pedals and shoes is the cost of the shoes. Of course there are probably less expensive ways to buy shoes, but my bike shop had a wide assortment of shoes for clipless pedals-all in the $100+ range. I just spent a lot on the bike, and I really can't afford to buy the pedals and shoes right now. I CAN see how attaching the foot to the pedal would encourage better body mechanics, but I can't go there right now. I can go with add-on clips (which are relatively inexpensive) pretty quickly, and I don't think I'll have a huge problem with getting out of them when i need to (this being all in my head at the moment, since I haven't actually tried clips yet).
They're not all over $100. Many are much less.

And the pedals can be purchased for under $50.

Originally Posted by tomato71 View Post
Cyclocross anyone? For example: 2008 Cannondale Cross XR 6
OK, so maybe my definition of "off-road" may be a bit narrow, but let's just say that the lone cyclocross rider in a mountain bike race I was in sure didn't get very far.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 11:16 AM

You don't need to spend a lot on the shoes. I think they are probably the single biggest cost / cycling improvement ratio item you can buy.

OreoCookie
Apr 23, 2008, 11:54 AM

You can buy them later. I've done that, too, and it's my first season with clipless pedals (or clicks as we call 'em here ). It's a nice feeling and you get used to it quickly. I got my pedals for 35 € (Shimano, one side clipless, the other one is clipless-less ) and the shoes (forgot the brand, but they're mountain bike shoes, not marathon shoes) cost me 75 €.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
t's basically impossible to get an off-road bike without a front suspension these days, but that's because it's so useful to have. Rear suspension is something I'd avoid, unless you have tons of money, and even then, I'd consider avoiding it. It robs you of power, and adds weight, especially if you're at the lower end of the market.
I didn't see a single mountain bike at my shop that didn't have a front suspension, but a lot of 'em (including mine) have a way to lock the fork, and while that doesn't do anything about the weight, it does avoid soaking up any power. I like that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 12:33 PM

You can certainly get mountain bikes without front suspension forks.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
You can certainly get mountain bikes without front suspension forks.
Very hard to find these days, at least around here. The cheap ones will come with el crappo suspension forks, but they're suspension forks nonetheless.

If you go to the major bike brand sites, most don't have any mountain bikes at all without front suspension. They have recreational bike path bikes without front suspension, but those are not really meant to be used off-road in any meaningful way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules