Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Alarms/Messaging Not Working in iCal

Alarms/Messaging Not Working in iCal
Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 02:42 AM

Anyone else have this problem? When I try to click on display alarm message, or email message in the alarms tab, a check mark briefly appears in the box and then disappears.

Also, my selection of email accounts is grayed out, so I cannot choose an email account to use to mail the alarm message...even if it was working.

Same with play sound. IOW, I have a completely non-functional reminder component of iCal.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 09:25 AM

Whew it's not just me. Yeah I'm pissed about the alarms thing.

Mac Guru

Pale Rider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 12:00 PM

So Mac Guru, your checkboxes wonb't stay checked either? I read somewhere that some folks who had gotten their hands on the MWNY build known as White Rabbit had problems with the final install not working properly. But that's not my situation. I am stumped and unhappy.

Pale Rider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 12:05 PM

And I also noticed that iCal is not picking up the correct Mail account for sending invitations and alarms. Instead of picking up the first Mail account, which is the default, it is picking up the last one in my list.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 12:28 PM

What build are you guys using? I got v400 and those options you speak of work great.

Pale Rider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2002, 01:19 PM

v400 is the downloadable-from-Apple iCal. It's what I have.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Sep 13, 2002, 05:15 PM

iCal doesn't use your Mail accounts, it uses the settings from Address Book. Also, checkboxes work fine for me in iCal release, but I haven't actually checked whether it works or not. Since it worked in the MWNY build I assume it works in the final.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Pale Rider  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2002, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
iCal doesn't use your Mail accounts, it uses the settings from Address Book. Also, checkboxes work fine for me in iCal release, but I haven't actually checked whether it works or not. Since it worked in the MWNY build I assume it works in the final.
Hmmm, actually, this AppleCare Document #61716 says it does use the Mail settings:

"iCal uses the Mail application's default email account. You can specify which account is the default in Mail preferences. For instructions, see technical document 106324, "Mac OS X Mail: How to Change the Default Account and 'From' Address"."

However, when I changed the order of my email accounts in my Address Book, iCal did pick that up. Go figure.

And the demo I saw of White Rabbit did not have the checkboxes working.

FOLLOWUP: Success. When I changed the order of email addresses in my Address Book, suddenly, the grayed out boxes began working. Interestingly, the previous order of addresses had two non-.Mac addresses first in the list, and one of the two--the one that iCal had locked onto--is an Exchange server address. I suspect that somehow simply changing the order did the trick. Wish I knew why.
( Last edited by Pale Rider; Sep 14, 2002 at 01:05 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules