Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I think I just saw the Steve Jobs of preachers.. and I don't like him

I think I just saw the Steve Jobs of preachers.. and I don't like him
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 03:30 PM

I went to a local winnipeg church called springs of living water, this sunday for a project for one of my classes. We have to evaluate the educational programs at different churches. Anyway, so I'm watching this guy talk about how now their church, had six different buildings, with many services going on in each, and all this other stuff... which ironically I was thinking I wanted to be a part of something similar. The only problem is... this church doctrinally is so far from the bible it's not even funny. So it's like... the guy's a good speaker, and seems to be a church growth visionary, but I'm torn because he has so many great ideas for church dev, but he throws them in with a gosspel that states God wants all His kids to be rich, and marry beautiful women... And as one might suspect, there are very few old people, and lots of "beautiful" people in the congergation... I'm probably gona be writing a glowing report as to their programs, but put in several scathing comments about the doctrin these programs teach.

Kilbey
Baninated
Sep 28, 2003, 03:34 PM

So, how is this guy similar to Steve Jobs?

Did he wear jeans and a black mock-turtle neck up in the pulpit?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 03:37 PM

No, not quite, although he wore a kinda casual suit but not a suit type thing.

But he spoke constantly about their growth, and he had like two big projector screens behind him, and just the way he talked... I felt like I was watching the WWDC keynote, but about heretical doctrin...

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 28, 2003, 03:42 PM

just your local religious crook looking to swindle some dough from you infidels.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 05:18 PM

Just don't go to church anymore and you won't have to deal with him or his type anymore. Not just his church, any church. Problem solved. Now your Sunday mornings are free! See how much better that is!

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
just your local religious crook looking to swindle some dough from you infidels.
Yeah worst of all I found out today that he's acutally a multimillionare
I was like... what the!? And he's telling his congergation they need to have a mirical giving thing... haha he should just write a cheque!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 07:23 PM

Yuck, what a sick cult that guy is running.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Lattimer
Sep 28, 2003, 07:51 PM

Now...what did I do with that "idots guide to starting your own cult"...I could use the cash!

...ahh there it is...
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2003, 08:00 PM

No church should have big projector screens. There's a reason people are constantly giving money to the church, and there's a reason they pay no taxes. If that tax-free donation income is being used to buy $20,000 remote controlled projector systems, there's something really wrong going on.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 09:43 PM

Yeah I have no problem with having a projector, you can get those for a reasonable price, but these things were MASSIVE, and they had TWO, And they had like TV quality movie cameras running around doing all this stuff and I was like... this is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I think in all honesty I may end up being the overseer of a church that has a similar authority setup and junk, but I could never see myself doing or saying half the things this guy has said, I much preffer the idea of many smaller churches that work togeather and support one another.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Yeah I have no problem with having a projector, you can get those for a reasonable price, but these things were MASSIVE, and they had TWO, And they had like TV quality movie cameras running around doing all this stuff and I was like... this is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I think in all honesty I may end up being the overseer of a church that has a similar authority setup and junk, but I could never see myself doing or saying half the things this guy has said, I much preffer the idea of many smaller churches that work togeather and support one another.
Could feed every homeless and poor person in Winnipeg with the money from all that stuff. One question, do they have programs for the jobless and orphan types? If not, sounds like the "wolves in sheep's clothing" we have around here... a $5 million "Godnasium" just 6 blocks away from the projects where people are starving to death.

Keep looking and don't give that "church" another thought, except for prayer hoping they'll be enlightened as to their status.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 12:33 AM

I say good for the church. They have found a lot of gullible, stupid people to take money from. Wish I would have thought of it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

bobette
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 12:39 AM

Hmmm... Wouldn't happen to be this guy huh?

Figures, he's got the charisma for it.
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 12:53 AM

We are not allowed to post pictures of other members, yes that includes Zimphire.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

bobette
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
We are not allowed to post pictures of other members, yes that includes Zimphire.
I just couldn't resist.

Hey long time no read Severed Hand.
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 10:18 AM

I went to a local winnipeg church called springs of living water, this sunday for a project for one of my classes. We have to evaluate the educational programs at different churches. Anyway, so I'm watching this guy talk about how now their church, had six different buildings, with many services going on in each, and all this other stuff... which ironically I was thinking I wanted to be a part of something similar. The only problem is... this church doctrinally is so far from the bible it's not even funny. So it's like... the guy's a good speaker, and seems to be a church growth visionary, but I'm torn because he has so many great ideas for church dev, but he throws them in with a gosspel that states God wants all His kids to be rich, and marry beautiful women... And as one might suspect, there are very few old people, and lots of "beautiful" people in the congergation... I'm probably gona be writing a glowing report as to their programs, but put in several scathing comments about the doctrin these programs teach.
Heh, I've heard about them. You should go to the Central church of Christ on osbourne ( across from burger king). I go there. Preacher is pretty good... if not a tiny bit boring at times. Youth minister is good too.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2003, 01:38 PM

Just to be clear I wasn't ever thinking of going back, we had to do a project for "The Educational Program Of The Church" it's a course I'm in here at Prov. We're supposed to go to one church of our own denomination, our home church which right now I have none, and one church we feel uncomfortable at.

Springs was my uncomfortable church. From what I understand this church does have a homeless ministry of sorts... although I don't think it would be with the intention of bringing homeless people into the church, or even actually helping them.

The worst part is some of the great church model concepts I've been developing I actually found this church using and it made my stomach churn that one of the only churches using some great ideas like these... is one that's as scripturally rooted as a lichen.

steveismyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 06:22 AM

a gosspel that states God wants all His kids to be rich, and marry beautiful women
Does that mean women aren�t God's kids? Or that ugly women are, but not beautiful ones - and that lesbian marriages are ok?
Steve is better tahn you!

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 08:29 AM

maybe he says these things because his congregation is made up of those types of people. i know the methodist church that is located in a predominately homosexual area of chicago caters to its community and advocates gay marriage. i see no problem with it at all. churches cater to the population/community/congregation that attend mass. just because you don't fit in with a "beautiful" congregation doesn't mean his teachings are bad. maybe the "beautiful" people that attend services there are tired of traditional christian teachings and find them to be outdated and useless in the modern world.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 09:13 AM

SC: If you stumble into that church's Yearly Financial Report, share it here. I want to know where those tithes go.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 10:39 AM

Just to be clear I wasn't ever thinking of going back, we had to do a project for "The Educational Program Of The Church" it's a course I'm in here at Prov. We're supposed to go to one church of our own denomination, our home church which right now I have none, and one church we feel uncomfortable at.

Springs was my uncomfortable church. From what I understand this church does have a homeless ministry of sorts... although I don't think it would be with the intention of bringing homeless people into the church, or even actually helping them.

The worst part is some of the great church model concepts I've been developing I actually found this church using and it made my stomach churn that one of the only churches using some great ideas like these... is one that's as scripturally rooted as a lichen.
They would be the largest in winnipeg I think. The building cost something like $8 mil.

Yeah, well I don't know what you mean by "model concepts". The sad thing is they didn't even get a chance to backslide, they started like that

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Mars_Attacks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 11:25 AM

My church funds my trips to Honduras, right down to renting the plane I use to medivac people with.

When I return, we have one of those screen projectors I connect my iBook to so I can give a presentation of where their money went.

I make sure it's good and scary for them so they won't think I'm having fun bush piloting in the jungle.
Ewwww, don't touch it. Here,
poke at it with this stick.

Forum Links
Forum Rules