Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Superdrive Upgrade?

Superdrive Upgrade?
Buck_W
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 05:00 PM

Has anyone tried out this superdrive upgrade from PowerBook ResQ:

http://www.powerbookresq.com/g4superdrive.html

If so, how was their service? How has the superdrive worked out? Any problems? Would you recommend going that route?

If any of you haven't gone this route but have heard anything, pro or con, would you mind passing along the info?

Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Has anyone tried out this superdrive upgrade from PowerBook ResQ:

http://www.powerbookresq.com/g4superdrive.html

If so, how was their service? How has the superdrive worked out? Any problems? Would you recommend going that route?

If any of you haven't gone this route but have heard anything, pro or con, would you mind passing along the info?

Thanks
Not sure if you're still considering this, but I am. I wouldn't have them do it for me; happy to do it myself. MacSales has a competitive offering here:

MacSales Superdrive Upgrade for PB400-500

That's $399 with a possible $19 rebate for returned drive, while MacResQ offers the DIY option here:

MacResQ Superdrive Upgrade

MacResQ charges $329 if you return your used drive, $379 if you don't. The MacSales drive is a 2x DVD writer, while the MacResQ is only a 1x. Any comments?

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Pale Rider:
Not sure if you're still considering this, but I am. I wouldn't have them do it for me; happy to do it myself. MacSales has a competitive offering here:

MacSales Superdrive Upgrade for PB400-500

That's $399 with a possible $19 rebate for returned drive, while MacResQ offers the DIY option here:

MacResQ Superdrive Upgrade

MacResQ charges $329 if you return your used drive, $379 if you don't. The MacSales drive is a 2x DVD writer, while the MacResQ is only a 1x. Any comments?
Thanks for bringing those two links to my attention. It had been awhile since I had looked at the offer from MacResQ.

I realize that 2x DVD writing is going to technically be "twice" the speed as 1x, but at that low level, is the gain in speed that noticeable? For those of you who are familiar with this, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Thanks for bringing those two links to my attention. It had been awhile since I had looked at the offer from MacResQ.

I realize that 2x DVD writing is going to technically be "twice" the speed as 1x, but at that low level, is the gain in speed that noticeable? For those of you who are familiar with this, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Both are "really 2x" as is Apples if you update firmware

Forum Links
Forum Rules