Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Use PGP keys with Mail/Keychain Access's certificate system?

Use PGP keys with Mail/Keychain Access's certificate system?
cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 02:04 AM

Ok, so by now I've read most of the how-to literature on getting a certificate from Thawke or whoever, and importing that into mail.

Question though: I have PGP - is there a way to use my PGP certificates with Mail?

When i export keys from PGP, the resulting file is a .asc file, which Keychain access doesn't want to open via drag & drop or via its "import" command. However, if, in the finder, I use the "open with" command and select Keychain Access (though it's not recommended) I get the following message:

Do you want to add the certificate from fileName.asc to a keychain?
There's a pop-up with a list of the various keychains on my machine and a nice little certificate picture. However, clicking OK, results in a the window disappearing, but nothing else happening.

So anybody have any suggestions? Or do I just need to go get a bunch of certificates from Thawke?
cpac

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 10:47 AM

Well, this-
http://www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail...j/GPGMail.html
-is for GPG.... I wonder if it can be used to integrate PGP into mail too? GPG aims to be completely interpoerable with PGP, so it might work....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Well, this-
http://www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail...j/GPGMail.html
-is for GPG.... I wonder if it can be used to integrate PGP into mail too? GPG aims to be completely interpoerable with PGP, so it might work....
PGP already integrates into Mail just fine with menubar controls and a fair number of options. So, I am a little confused as to what the original poster wants. What I *think* the original poster might want, and I do, too--is the ability to get the PGP certificate into Keychain rather than having to get another one, to take advantage of Mail's native security features. But I could be wrong.

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Pale Rider:
PGP already integrates into Mail just fine with menubar controls and a fair number of options. So, I am a little confused as to what the original poster wants. What I *think* the original poster might want, and I do, too--is the ability to get the PGP certificate into Keychain rather than having to get another one, to take advantage of Mail's native security features. But I could be wrong.
Yes I know PGP already has the nice buttons and things.

But you are right -what I wanted to know was weather I could use my PGP key with the Keychain instead of having to generate another key to get keychain integration. (the integration makes it easier for other people I email with to use encryption/send me encrypted email)
cpac

CyberGeorge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 02:24 PM

Sorry to dig out an old thread, but I did a search and it popped up. I want to do the same thing. Do we have any answers on this yet?

cpac  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by CyberGeorge:
Sorry to dig out an old thread, but I did a search and it popped up. I want to do the same thing. Do we have any answers on this yet?
The answer seems to be no - you can't use your PGP keys directly with the Keychain etc. Instead you can either just use PGP's integration with Mail, or you can create your own free certificate (which works seemlessly with, e.g., Lotus Notes on the PC).
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules