Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iDVD: Menu Screen Background Audio Too Loud

iDVD: Menu Screen Background Audio Too Loud
Pale Rider
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 08:36 PM

Anyone else have this experience? If I add a music background to the opening screen and scene selection screens of a DVD from my iTunes library, the music is way too loud. In the settings side drawer, there seems to be only a setting for the audio to be full blast or off. Setting the volume in iTunes [Get Info on the song] doesn't seem to do any good. Am I missing something?

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I too am having this problem and can't seem to find a way around it. Appreciate it if anyone else can shed light on this.

Cheers,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 05:06 PM

Wow....nobody has an answer for this ????

Guess waht...same problem with iDVD 5 -- you can not set a volume level.

Anybody out there have a solution?

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 09:13 PM

I don't have a fix for your problem, and it is a problem for me as well. I do suggest you go here (I have) and give Apple Feedback. They have added things users suggested in the past.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/idvd.html

I also suggest you ask them to include guidelines like in Keynote to line-up buttons and titles. That is a feature I think needs to be added!

Good luck!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:21 PM

Does it really matter if it's loud when you're authoring? As long as it's not abnormally loud on the burned disk, I don't think it's a problem.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Does it really matter if it's loud when you're authoring? As long as it's not abnormally loud on the burned disk, I don't think it's a problem.
Usually if it is abnormally loud during authoring, it is abnormally loud on the burned disc. At least I have seen that problem 99% of the time.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Gregnow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 06:30 PM

I found a "semi" solution to this audio problem. I found a way to make the audio on the MAIN menu page (the title, "play", etc. page- 1st page you see when you put dvd in) of iDvd match the rest of the movie.
However I could not work a way around making the audio the same volume on the chapter previews menu, so I now just leave the chapters preview part of the menu without audio/music.
At least with my solution you'll have intro audio to your dvd though that matches the volume of the rest of the movie.
What i did was -
Step 1: Take the VISUAL clip you are using/putting on the first/intro page of idvd and load it into iMOVIE (not iDVD). Now put it in your editing pane on imovie in front of your already exsisting movie you have there (you'll be able to delete it later so it's not part of your finished movie).
Step 2: Next add the AUDIO you are using on the first page of idvd (that is too loud) and put it in one of the two audio panes under the VISUAL you have just put in the 1st pane in imovie. Adjust the audio clip in imovie so that it is the same level volume as the rest of your movie.
Step 3: Now click on the visual/audio clip and and go up and click "file" at top of computer. then click "share" in drop down box (make sure you also click the box that says "save only selected clips, so that you are not saving your whole imovie project and are only saving the clip we are talking about here). Save it as a DV file on your desktop. *Do NOT save as a ".mov" clip or audio will come out sounding like it was put through a reverb machine. Make sure you save as a "DV" clip.
Step 4: you now have a Quicktime DV file saved on your desktop of the visual/audio you want to have as the visual/audio for your first menu page for idvd. What you want to do is open iTUNES now. Click videos on iTunes and then drag the Quicktime DV file from your desktop to the black page on videos in your itunes. It will then save it there as a video with audio.
Step 5: If you have not already done so, click off iMOVIE and when it says SAVE, DO NOT click save when you close imovie this way the audio/visual clip you just did there will not be saved to the already finished movie you had in imovie that your looking to put into idvd.
Step 6: Now open imovie again and do like you always do and transfer your finished movie to idvd. When idvd opens drag the Quicktime clip you saved on your DESKTOP to the front page of iDVD. You now have the visual clip you wanted on the front menu page of idvd (but still no audio).
Step 7: Now go to the setting tab in idvd like you always do and click media like you always do. Now where it gives you the choice to click audio in iTunes to add, instead click the "videos" and add/apply the clip you saved in itunes earlier. This will then add the audio you had on that clip and it will be the SAME volume as the rest of your movie is. The visual on your menu page on idvd may look a little "choppy" now, but when I burned it , it was smooth as normal on my finished DVD.
Like I said before, now if you want to still add audio to the chapter pages in idvd, I really do not think there is a way to make the volume there match so I just leave the chapter pages without audio.
After your DVD is burned and finished , you can always go back into iTunes and delete the clip you put there if you do not want it in there.
Hope this helps some, Greg. If you get stuck for any reason feel free to email me at [email protected]
( Last edited by Gregnow; Aug 26, 2006 at 12:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules