Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Some Questions about iBook models.

Some Questions about iBook models.
DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 02:22 AM

I have 2000 some dollars in a scholarshare account that I got for SAT9 testing in high school, and I decided that i wanted to use a part of it to get an iBook. Im reluctant to ask for purchasing advice, because so many have done it before, but here it goes:

My Predicament:
I need a notebook for when I am on campus. All I will do with it is write notes, program, use the internet and iTunes, etc. Nothing too bad. For the more heavy duty stuff (like games, photoshop, etc), I have my Dual 867 at home.

My three choices, including prices are:

iBook G4 800 mHz:

� 640MB DDR266 SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive
� Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Bluetooth Module
� Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
� 12-inch TFT XGA display
� 800MHz PowerPC G4
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,335.00

iBook G3 900 MhZ:

iBook 900MHzG3/128MB/40GB/COMBO/E/56K/12.1TFT

800 + 90 (AE Card) + 100 (RAM) = ~1000

And my third choice would be to wait for the next update (where they hopefully use those 1.5 GhZ G4s Moto was talking about earlier this week) and buy one then.

The problem is that I have to get the notebook from campus (so that I can charge it on my student account and pay the balance with the Scholarshare money), so Im not sure whether or not I will be able to get the refurb unit (which is the one I was leaning towards). Also, the refurb can't be upgraded during purchase (Hard drive, Bluetooth, etc).

The reason I got 640 MB RAM is that I regularly saturate more than 384 MB on my Dual 867 (Running Safari, iTunes, Mail, Bittorrent, and Adium, I'm currently using 411 MB RAM with 324 MB Active).

I was very much intrested in the battery life differences between the G3 and G4 iBooks. I would assume the G3 to be more power thrifty, but I wonder if its by a significant amount.

Are they any nice cases/slips that anyone recommends?

Any advice on what I should do? Has anyone bought a refurb on campus before?

Thanks for the time.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 02:56 AM

If I were you, I'd get the G4, but the G3 ain't too shabby either, tuff choice but I'd still go G4.

As for cases, I have the sportfolio II and it is just an awesome sleeve if you wanna just toss your 'book in your backpack, but the booq 12" sleeve is really attractive and the same price. If I had to choose, it'd be between those two.

Don't stress out too much about the choices, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever your decision is.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Feb 25, 2004, 03:43 AM

Well since you're in school you can go for the education discount and get this price instead.

� 256MB DDR266 SDRAM (128MB built-in & 128MB SO-DIMM)
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive
� Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
� 12-inch TFT XGA display
� 800MHz PowerPC G4
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,155.00

Now you'll noticed that I didn't have the same memory as you did, because Apple charge way too much for memory upgrades. Like most of us on this forum, we bought our memory seperately.

Now if you go to crucial.com you'll get this price for the same type of memory.

512MB DDR PC2100

CT350213
Specs:
� CL=2.5 � Non-parity �
more specs

$94.99 (USD)

Hope this helps.

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 04:14 AM

I always buy my ram from crucial, but in this case, I have to get it from apple, or i will pay out of my pocket.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2004, 07:50 AM

Go with the G4, no doubt about it. And use the Educational Discount to your advantage; I think even Apple's markup on RAM is considerably less with that discount.

By the way, you can find (from Crucial) 512MB SODIMMS for your iBook for less than $100, so you can decide if Apple's price for the upgrade is appropriate or not.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 10:41 AM

I was about to suggest that you get the G3 and use the rest of the money for books (you'll need it!), since you seem to have a decent desktop to go along with it, until I saw that you wanted to program.

I imagine the version of gcc that ships with the developer tools is optimized for the G4. If you plan on doing a lot of programming on the iBook, you may want to spring for the G4 to cut down your compile times.

I have a 800 MHz G3 iBook and have no problem running everything else you listed. In fact, new OS versions have actually made the thing go faster!

I would heartly recommend maxing out the ram.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by DBvader:

iBook G3 900 MhZ:

iBook 900MHzG3/128MB/40GB/COMBO/E/56K/12.1TFT

800 + 90 (AE Card) + 100 (RAM) = ~1000
The G3 doesn't use Airport Extreme so you can actually knock off about $20-30. You can get a new one for $71 with edu discount or a refurb for $59 (when available).

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 07:40 PM

Well, the 900 mHz iBook is no longer at the Apple Store, so I guess my only choice is the iBook G4.

The RAM from crucial, if i remember correctly is 90 some dollars, Apple's is only 130. Id rather spend 40 dollars of free money and buy it from apple, than pay 90-some out of my pocket.

I really appreciate all the help...

Any ideas on what the real time batt life for the iBook G4s are?

Thanks again

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by DBvader:
Well, the 900 mHz iBook is no longer at the Apple Store, so I guess my only choice is the iBook G4.

The RAM from crucial, if i remember correctly is 90 some dollars, Apple's is only 130. Id rather spend 40 dollars of free money and buy it from apple, than pay 90-some out of my pocket.

I really appreciate all the help...

Any ideas on what the real time batt life for the iBook G4s are?

Thanks again
If you look in the Special Deals section on Apple's site, the new G3's are listed. Good luck.

ou_bobcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 12:54 AM

I too would recomend the G4. I have one and love it. As for a sleeve I would recomend the zeroshock. I thank it for saving my iBook from what would have been certian destruction without it, or possibly with others of more traditional protection.

DBvader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 07:58 PM

I bought the 12" iBook G4. I upgraded the RAM to 640 MB, got AE and BT, and upped the HD to 60 GB. The iBook was still under 1350! which was cheaper than all the dell and gateway notebooks than my school carries. I bought the cheapest router they had and found out it matched my MDD perfectly when I got home...awesome. I threw in a C82, Wireless Keyboard, some in-ears, and a video adaptor and called it a day. It's too bad that California got rid of the Governor's Scholarship program this year, because so many kids would get 1000/yr to spend in college. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I still have one more question: What type of real world battery time can I expect with AE on all the time?

Forum Links
Forum Rules