Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MY firewall unavailable

MY firewall unavailable
K107
May 12, 2004, 05:46 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I�m am trying to change the settings for my firewall but when I click the tab for the firewall it says that they is other firewall software running. I have not uninstalled any other firewall program on my PB. I recently install poisoned and a couple of other P2P programs and have deleted them except poisoned. Does someone have an idea of what the hell is going on?

Espen Isaksen
May 13, 2004, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by K107:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I�m am trying to change the settings for my firewall but when I click the tab for the firewall it says that they is other firewall software running. I have not uninstalled any other firewall program on my PB. I recently install poisoned and a couple of other P2P programs and have deleted them except poisoned. Does someone have an idea of what the hell is going on?
Are you running Virtual PC with Windows XP. If so that is your problem.
------------------------------
http://www.espenisaksen.com

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Espen Isaksen:
Are you running Virtual PC with Windows XP. If so that is your problem.
This isn't one I've heard before; are you saying that VPC/XP tries to install its own firewall on the Mac side?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Espen Isaksen
May 13, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
This isn't one I've heard before; are you saying that VPC/XP tries to install its own firewall on the Mac side?
I don't know about that. But I certainly have the problem when using VPC/XP that System Preferences tell me that there is another firewall running so I am not able to change the settings on the OSX firewall.
------------------------------
http://www.espenisaksen.com

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by K107:
In the terminal type the following and post the results: (It'll ask you to enter your password)
sudo ipfw -a list
weird wabbit

sixer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 03:20 PM

Check your /Library/StartupItems folder--if a program has installed a script to install ipfw rules on startup, they'll probably in a folder in here.

Brickhouse, for instance, puts its script in here. You can fix the problem by deleting the directory containing the 3rd party script and .plist file and restart.

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
In the terminal type the following and post the results: (It'll ask you to enter your password)
sudo ipfw -a list
Different poster but same experience; here is the output of that command:

65535 1916079 247749837 allow ip from any to any

I was running VPC w/ Win98 and WinXP, but quit those several hours before trying to start my firewall or running this command.

TIA!

Forum Links
Forum Rules