Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sorry- can't find the answer to this one

Sorry- can't find the answer to this one
Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 10:11 PM

Two years ago, I had a new 12" Rev.C. Someone in this forum gave me a terminal command that keeps the PB from accidentally waking from sleep while the lid is still shut... I now have a brand spankin' new 15" MBP and it is doing this frequently.

I have tried to find the answer in the archives, but I don't think I am putting in the right parameters. Can someone help a fella out?

aadfadsfa33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 10:15 PM

Hmm... on a side note - what do you mean by waking up during sleep? Do you have Bluetooth devices?

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by kylemacr
Hmm... on a side note - what do you mean by waking up during sleep? Do you have Bluetooth devices?
For instance, if the lid moves just enough to make the MBP think it's open, so it wakes from sleep and then never goes BACK to sleep. You know it's done it when you open the flap to the sleeve case and it feels like the MacBook has been cooking in there.

What this command does is make me (the user) have to type a key or press the power button to wake the unit; it won't allow the computer to awake from a simple lid opening (or what it thinks is a lid opening). It is very useful if you carry your MBP or PB a lot, or travel; all that jostling can make the lid seem like it's open, and this just keeps that from happening. Oh, if I could just remember the stinkin' command...

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 12:13 AM

Just out of curiosity, how can your (M)PB think it's got an open lid when it's actually closed?
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the lid will have to be opening and closing all the time(too much room in the sleeve/bag), for something like this to occure, other than 'wake from sleep' options.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Dr.Michael
May 2, 2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Beerman
Two years ago, I had a new 12" Rev.C. Someone in this forum gave me a terminal command that keeps the PB from accidentally waking from sleep while the lid is still shut... I now have a brand spankin' new 15" MBP and it is doing this frequently.

I have tried to find the answer in the archives, but I don't think I am putting in the right parameters. Can someone help a fella out?
sudo pmset lidwake 0

and your powerbook will not wake up after opening the lid.

Reset with

sudo pmset lidwake 1

Hope it also works with the macbooks.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
sudo pmset lidwake 0

and your powerbook will not wake up after opening the lid.

Reset with

sudo pmset lidwake 1

Hope it also works with the macbooks.
That's the one!

Pale Rider
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 01:24 PM

I sure hope this works. I have a nightmarish problem, where every time I close my MBP, whether I put it to sleep overtly or not, that it comes back to life in my briefcase, usually in the trunk of my car, and by the time I get to my destination, my briefcase and MBP are hot as Hades and half my battery is gone. I suspect this may be Bluetooth-related, as suggested above. But what's worse, then my MBP doesn't want to wake up at all, even though it is clearly on, and so I am forced to reboot. What a pain. So, if I enter this command in Terminal, how do I wake my MBP when I do open the lid?

And now that I think about it, is this really the problem? I never had this experience with previous PBs, i.e., I never had a PB think it was awake when its lid was closed unless it was connected to an external display and an external input device.

Dr.Michael
May 16, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pale Rider
So, if I enter this command in Terminal, how do I wake my MBP when I do open the lid?
Just type any key. The Macbook will wake up then.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pale Rider
I sure hope this works. I have a nightmarish problem, where every time I close my MBP, whether I put it to sleep overtly or not, that it comes back to life in my briefcase, usually in the trunk of my car, and by the time I get to my destination, my briefcase and MBP are hot as Hades and half my battery is gone. I suspect this may be Bluetooth-related, as suggested above. But what's worse, then my MBP doesn't want to wake up at all, even though it is clearly on, and so I am forced to reboot. What a pain. So, if I enter this command in Terminal, how do I wake my MBP when I do open the lid?

And now that I think about it, is this really the problem? I never had this experience with previous PBs, i.e., I never had a PB think it was awake when its lid was closed unless it was connected to an external display and an external input device.
I've had this issue, too, and it seems like it's related to the last security update from Apple. Nothing will wake the MPB except for a reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules