Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 Startup Problem

Powerbook G4 Startup Problem
TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2011, 03:15 PM

My folks Powerbook G4 15 inch has been giving my folks trouble lately, so when I was at their place last I brought it home to trouble shoot.

When you turn the computer on, you get the normal Apple chime, the logo appears on screen and everything proceeds as normal until you arrive at the login window. A second or so after reaching the login menu (prompted by no user action), the screen goes entirely black and the sleep indicator begins pulsing as those the computer has put itself to sleep. At this point, it responds to no input whatsoever and pressing and holding the power button does nothing. The only way to turn the computer off and attempt to start it again is to remove the battery and power supply to force it all the way off.

I have tried booting the computer in safe mode. When I do this, it reaches the grey apple logo screen and sits there for several minutes before shutting itself off (it doesn't even make it to the login screen).

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2011, 03:52 PM

Does it still charge the battery ok?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Nov 26, 2011, 06:41 PM

Sounds like a power supply/battery issue. Boot in verbose mode by holding down command-v during boot. Text will appear. Have a camera handy, preferably in movie mode. See if you can capture the text, preferably right before it shuts down.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 12:09 AM

Power issues may be remedied with a PMU reset.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 12:15 AM

Boot off the DVD and go into Disk Utility. Run a repair permissions and a disk check. You could have some file corruption. I don't think its a power supply issue based on what you have said so far, but more a corruption issue.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Boot off the DVD and go into Disk Utility. Run a repair permissions and a disk check. You could have some file corruption. I don't think its a power supply issue based on what you have said so far, but more a corruption issue.
This seems more likely to me at the moment as well because I have recently replaced the battery and power adapter in this computer, and it holds a charge fine.

However, I will run these tests later tonight when I have a moment.

Thanks for the help!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 03:06 AM

booting off the DVD and it staying alive should rule out hardware problems and leave it as a software issue. If the computer still reboots or goes dead on DVD then it is a hardware issue.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:00 PM

Good troubleshooting idea.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2011, 04:26 PM

Reed switch magnet gone walkies? Try plugged/unplugging a USB device with the power adapter plugged in and see if it wakes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules