Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Permanently Locked File

Permanently Locked File
Voodoofunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2000, 04:10 AM

I've been using macs for many many years, and have never run across this problem.

I have a file on my desktop named "Untitled131072"
and it is locked, permanently it seems. When i get info, i can't uncheck the lock box, and when i put it into the trash and <option-click> the empty trash menu option, it doesn't delete the file.
Any ideas and/or suggestions?
thanks!

------------------
da
voo~doo~funk~masta
da
voo~doo~funk~masta

reader50
Administrator
Oct 15, 2000, 05:01 AM

Run Disk First Aid, see if there is disk damage.

Shift-boot, a background application could be claiming the file. A shift boot might make it deletable.

Use a file type/creator utility on the file such as ResEdit. If the type is blank, or begins with "bzy", replace the type code with something else. The file should then be deletable.

Cipher13
Oct 15, 2000, 06:15 AM

Also, try using ResEdit to get info on it and uncheck all three resource locked boxes... the Finder locked flag, resources locked and the other one.

Cipher13

Voodoofunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2000, 02:46 PM

I tried all the suggestions posted, but none of them worked.
with res edit, the file wouldn't open. i'd select open from the file menu, and select the file, but it wouldn't open.

help?!?!

------------------
da
voo~doo~funk~masta
da
voo~doo~funk~masta

reader50
Administrator
Oct 15, 2000, 04:14 PM

Another option: Boot from a CD, move the file to the trash, empty the trash. Then reboot.

Back to the first option. You should not need to "open" the file with ResEdit. A little further down the File menu is "Get File/Folder Info...", use that choice.

If ResEdit will not open the file info, and the CD boot trick does not work, then download MuchoFileInfo. It is freeware. I ran into a file last night that ResEdit would not open the info for, and I used MuchoFileInfo to give the file type & creator codes. Try "????" in both fields. Afterwards, try ResEdit again.

If ResEdit will still not open the file info, then use ResEdit to open the file - the first menu choice. You may get a dialog about how this will add a resource fork, go ahead anyway. Then close the file, and try the "Get File/Folder Info..." again. It should now open.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 10-15-2000).]

Voodoofunk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2000, 04:29 PM

cool stuff, it worked
thank you much
da
voo~doo~funk~masta

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2000, 04:47 PM

If you have Norton Utilities, the Wipe Info utility has never had a problem not being able to (securely) eliminate any file thrown at it, in my experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules