Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Harddrive Recomendations needed...

New Harddrive Recomendations needed...
IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
May 28, 2001, 09:45 AM

I'm back into the market for a new HD. I want to know what seems to be the most popular choice and if there should be any drives I should stay away from. I'm looking for at least a 30 gig HD and one that is under 150$. Thanks...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2001, 10:28 AM

May 28, 2001, 10:33 AM

The usual links:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE.html#drives
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

Personally I have 2 IBM 75GXP and am very satisfied, check out the new 60GXP series (www.storage.ibm.com).

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 07:33 PM

I have a 60 GB Maxtor, no problems or issues, and a 20 GB Western Digital.... both have worked great and not had any problems. Work fine with iMovie digital video captures, backing up other drives, etc....
good luck,
dave

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2001, 10:21 PM

www.storagereview.com

Every manufacturer has had its share of lemons. IBM had some problems with its 75GXP series, but there are scores of happy 75GXP users, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy IBM - might as well go with the newer 60GXP series, though. I have a new 60GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 and it has worked flawlessly. I think that getting a lemon is pretty much luck of the draw with any of the manufacturers.

[This message has been edited by zigzag (edited 05-29-2001).]

indigo
May 29, 2001, 09:49 AM

I've had experience with two IDE hard drives. First, I bought a Maxtor Diamondmax plus drive about 18 months ago. The drive has failed 4 times since then. Each time it would disappear from the desktop and begin repeatedly clicking. No disk utility could see or repair the disk. Each time the drive was replaced under warranty. Although others may recommend Maxtor, I can't do so based upon my experience. About 2 weeks ago, I bought an IBM Deskstar drive. I like it quite a bit so far.

It may be important to know what kind of computer you will be putting the HD in. As noted at www.xlr8yourmac.com there are issues with some HD's in certain computers.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 05:37 PM

I've made this recommendatin before and I'll make it again: go with the IBM Deskstar 60GXP. It's a Porsche for the price of a Taurus. It's an improved version of the 75GXP, which was performance king. It's VERY fast and reasonably priced. Don't think twice about this decision.

------------------
Fyre4ce

"I need a vacation." - Terminator robot
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2001, 12:21 AM

Maxtor has the BEST customer support I have ever seen. My Maxtor Drive made a funny sound and they sent me a new better/bigger quieter drive before I had to ship the old one back.

I will always buy Maxtor in the future now.

------------------

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules