Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > changing the default application for opening pictures

changing the default application for opening pictures
austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:33 PM

so easy to do in jag, but one of my friends wont use anything but os9 (silly girl), and i cant remember how to do this. short of downloading something that changes all the pics file types to quicktimes picture viewer, is there a workaround?

thanks

There's someone in my head but its not me...

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 10:13 AM

All I can suggest is that she keeps an alias of her prefered image app on her desktop (or a popup folder) and drags the file to whatever she wants to open it with? Any help?
e-gads

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 07:35 AM

What you'll want to do is either show her how to convert a file type and creator with a program like File Buddy, TechToolLite or ResEdit, or you'll want to install something like OpenWithCMM. OpenWithCMM apparently provides a contextual menu very similar to OS X's Open With" contextual menu.

I've never thought about how one would force the system to always open a particular file type or creator code with a specific application. I don't think it's possible in the classic Mac OS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules