Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Troubles with OS9 and Norton

Troubles with OS9 and Norton
tobes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 07:03 AM

Hey guys

Im having some troubles with my mothers computer (gah... Parents should not be let near computers.. anyway). It wouldn't boot (well it would boot get to the point of loading the clock but not much else onto the desktop and then freeze) so I booted off the Norton CD and started disk doctor it got to "Checking Catalog Structure" and then froze. I have tried to rerun it several times and I get the same thing. Only a little over half the disk is being used.

I have been able to get the computer booted and got the data off but I cant get disk doctor to finish working.

Any ideas Im sure its not good I need help

tobes

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 09:13 AM

Looks like a disk problem. However, first try using TechTool, which is much better then NDD, in my opinion, especially in 9
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Cipher13
Apr 6, 2003, 09:21 AM

Norton software is ****ing evil. Burn it all, now. And I don't mean onto a CD.

Run DiskWarrior over your drive, rebuild the desktop file (command-option as the Finder loads), and delete the Finder Preferences file.

If that doesn't work delete and replace the Finder, and System file.

I'll explain how to do that here. Report back when you've tried my first suggestion.

tobes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 03:22 AM

well I was going to do all that, when I noticed that the drive was ticking and making other such dieing type sounds. So it is getting replaced. Then I will throw OS X on the system anyway.

tobes

Cipher13
Apr 9, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by tobes:
well I was going to do all that, when I noticed that the drive was ticking and making other such dieing type sounds. So it is getting replaced. Then I will throw OS X on the system anyway.

tobes
Another one bites the dust...

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2003, 02:41 PM

well I was going to do all that, when I noticed that the drive was ticking and making other such dieing type sounds. So it is getting replaced.
Those sounds may simply be due to directory problems on the disk, and not a bad HD. If the directory is corrupt, the drive may be seeking all over the disk, or even caught in an infinite loop, which could cause it to make strange noises. DiskWarrior can fix this, if this is the problem. At the very least, you should have DiskWarrior in your CD collection.

I agree with Cipher13: Norton is no good, but DiskWarrior can save your life (or at least your HD).

Forum Links
Forum Rules