Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Any Font Book experiences (Panther)?

Any Font Book experiences (Panther)?
redrockdes
Dec 2, 2003, 03:15 PM

I installed Panther recently on one of my G4s, not realizing that my up-to-date version of FontReserve that worked on 10.2.8 (Jaguar) is not supported on 10.3 (Panther). Since Apple has now supplied its own font management solution for Panther -- Font Book -- I tried it a bit to see if I can make it work for professional print production, which is what I do.

I set up a "PostScript fonts" collection and added several Type 1 fonts that I need to use for my customers' work. Most of them work alright, but a few, such as ITC Officina Display, only show up correctly with one weight, not the other weights that came with the package I bought. The other weights show up with the "jaggies." I am using Quark 6.0 for layout.

I wrote to ITC and got a response that Apple has made it impossible to work with some fonts and that I could get a refund if I want one.

I also wrote to Apple but have not heard anything back yet.

I am all for progress and would like to buy a faster machine (G5) soon, but these font problems make me reluctant to give up ATM Deluxe and OS 9.2.

(Both Suitcase and FontReserve are not guaranteed by Extensis to work on Panther.)

Anyone else have font problems with Panther?

redrockdes  (op)
Dec 2, 2003, 03:35 PM

Correction: This week, Font Reserve and Suitcase have both come out with updates that are supposed to work with Panther.

I won't have to flounder with Font Book after all.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 06:12 PM

yes. please. leave font book alone. It will screw up your font organization, if they are organized at all.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

naderby
Dec 4, 2003, 07:28 AM

It's a difficult one.

I'm currently STILL booting into OS9 when I'm publishing with my ATM Deluxe workflow that doesn't seem to have any hope of being matched in the foreseeable future.

I had a few experiments with OSX and font workflows and found that FontAgent Pro worked well. This wasn't Panther, it was Jaguar.

Can't help but think Extensis is doing a 'Quark'. Honestly, I found that Suitcase just crashed, crashed and crashed.

Back onto topic, touch Font Book only with a Barge Pole unless you have a very megre font collection.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 12:57 AM

I have happily removed Suitcase 10.X from both my work and home Macs (G4/733) with Panther 10.3 OS and G4 1Ghz TiPB with Panther 10.3 OS in favor of Apple's FontBook. It has been working seamlessly with Quark 6 with all my PostScript fonts. It's a heaven sent and one less program to have to update.
I have worked on dozens of new and old jobs with multiple fonts and so far so good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules