Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Energy Saver?

Energy Saver?
Sue
Jan 31, 2000, 04:30 PM

I have a Power Mac 7500 upgraded to a G3 with a Newer Tech card and am running 8.6. When I leave my computer for a period of time (probably 20 minutes to 1/2 hour, it freezes and I have to use the key combination to restart. I have the Energy Saver set to "never." Anyone have this problem or a solution?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2000, 07:51 PM

It sounds like your processor is getting too hot and shutting down. Make sure that the heatsink on the processor is attached properly. Also, check to see if any silcone paste is between the processor and the heat sink. If there is none, add a tiny amount. It fills in the air gaps and transfers heat more evenly to the heat sink.

Use Newer's or someone else's control panel to find out the operating temperature of your processor.

Also, do you have a 3rd party SCSI card. Some don't work well with upgrades until their firmware is updated.

Do a complete reset by pushing the CUDA button on your motherboard. It resets everything and makes the Mac rebuild what it knows about itself from scratch.

Post your results, please!

drewman

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2000, 11:45 PM

Some processor cards require removal of L2 cache card because they already have that build-in. Does the one you have require this? I know that some Sonnet's upgrades require the "procedure".

Sue
Feb 1, 2000, 10:11 AM

It sounds like I need to contact Newer with the possiblities you both have raised. I'll do that and let you know the results.
To drewman, I don't have a SCSI card but I do have a Belkin USB card and I have seen on the forums, a number of postings questioning them, so I will also contact them too.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2000, 01:21 PM

Might also want to try slowing the processor down a bit. Running the processor at too high of speed can cause intermittent crashing.

That being said, it's probably just a cooling problem. The 7500s have horrid airflow (IMHO) and, working for a newspaper, have seen them overheat even with their standard processors. You might want to try squirting a dab of thermal paste (available at radio shack) between the heat sink and processor. HOWEVER, contact Newer first and make sure that doing so does not void your warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules