Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 Keychain Access

OS9 Keychain Access
blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2000, 06:57 PM

I was wondering...what is the point of keychain access in OS9? I mean, in OS 8.5 I had Eudora set to check mail without asking for a password, so I just clicked and went. But now, with Keychain, when I click 'Check Mail', a keychain window pops up and asks me for access to the Eudora keychain. Put simply, I just want to hit Check Mail and have it check the mail, not ask for a password that I don't want to enter. Privacy isn't an issue...

Is there any way I can turn this off? I've poked around the control panel a few times and tried various options, but to no avail...
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Seagull
Jan 23, 2000, 11:40 AM

Perhaps you would like to try going to the Preferences folder inside the System Folder and remove all the Keychain preferences files there and may be restarting the computer if necessary. That should turn Keychain off.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2000, 04:43 PM

There are also a number of utilities out there that will automatically unlock the keychain when you start up your Mac. Search for "keychain" in MacNN's archives (at the bottom of macnn.com).

The purpose of the keychain is really to ease connecting to servers, otherwise I agree with you... it just introduces an extra step into what used to be a no-step proces.

shorton
Jan 28, 2000, 11:06 PM

You could use the keychain control strip and just unlock it when you boot up and be done with it that way. When in multiuser mode, when one logs in the login will automatically unlock the keychain and a logout locks it again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules