Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Color Classic Mods

Color Classic Mods
Keda
Senior User
Dec 21, 1999, 06:28 PM

I just got my hands on a Color Classic. I have been wanting one for a log time and the price was finally right. Now Im ready to play.

This machine will be a G3 as soon as i can find the parts and the know how. I am planning to upgrade the screen to 640x480. Then there is the rest.

Does anyone know of some good books on the subject of logic boards. I have read Takkys (Japanese) site about logic board swaps, but I am not very experianced with this type of thing. Right now, I am considering getting the guts of an iMac, but Im looking for direction.

Any thoughts?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 1999, 01:40 AM

A stock iMac motherboard will be bigger than the Color Classic can hold. You might want to get a laptop motherboard like a 1400 which can be bumped up to G3.

Good luck!

drewman

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Dec 22, 1999, 10:58 AM

Does anyone konw a good place to get boards, etc?

Also, If I go with a PB board, will I be able to upgrade it and use the processor from my G3 266?

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 1999, 10:16 AM

Keda,

as I have to admit such a Color Classic witha G3 processor would be a very nice idea (because of a very minimalistic aspect or it).

But... (there has to be a "but" in everything):

The motherboard of a Color classic is of the slide-out type and therefore is has a wide connector on its edge (that is near the front of the computer). So if you replace it with another board that does not have this special connector you will have to take care of all the connections between the new board and all the other interiors of the computer (such as monitor, drives, serial, SCSI and ADB sockets, etc.)

If you are able to do this, you are a true Mac engineer earning the geatest respect from all Mac users in this forum.

Also, getting a CRT tube capable of 640x480 in the 10 inch form factor could be a real challenge as the whole project would be.

Will you keep us informed?

Very good luck.

Walter.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 1999, 06:13 PM

The CRT in the Classic is capable of 640x480, it has to modified to run at a higher voltage for the refresh rate to work right, but if you planning on putting a G3 in a Classic that should be trivial, right?

drewman

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Dec 27, 1999, 11:03 AM

I have wanted a CC for a while. Before I got one, I had been doing alot of reading on modifying the machine. I think the res. will bw the easy part, but I dont want to do it until I am fairly sure that I will be able to do the rest.

I know that these changes dont make any sense from a financial stand point. I am mainly approaching this as a project.

Walter- I have am comfortable enough working on hardware to try this, but I do web/3D so this is a jump for me. Do you have any suggestions where I might learn more?

Heres is a page w/ CC links: http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/color.shtml

Thanks for the help.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 02:19 PM

Having read the link that you provided, I think that you the easiest way to go would be to get a PowerPC upgrade for a 550 or 575 (very rare) and try to make it fit (as the page says that some have got a 550 or 575 board to work in a CC).

drewman

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 1999, 02:44 PM

Keda,

as I did not mean to discourage you (nor to take your experience with hardware work into doubt, either), - if my posting sounded like this please take my apologies.

I have seen some web pages before related to the field you are going to work on, such as motherboard designs, etc. I will have to look them up and will keep you informed.

Again, good luck.

Best regards,

Walter.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2000, 04:35 PM

I struck gold over the holiday. I found a used commputer store. I wasnt expecting to find any Macs, but the place is loaded.

I am going to go back when I get a chance, because the lady there said she deals with several used Mac vendors. I hope to track down the suitable hardware.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2000, 12:03 PM

Keda,

finally I have found at least one web site with a lot of information on Apple/Mac motherboards:

<http://www.micromac.com/whats_new/logic_board_picture.html>

Anything new with your project?

Best regards,

Walter.

[email protected]

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2000, 12:15 PM

Keda,

another one is:

<http://w3.trib.com/~dwood/specificmacs.html> with many links regarding Mac hardware.

Regards,

Walter.

[email protected]

Professor UBB
Jan 20, 2000, 09:01 AM

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2000, 10:16 AM

nice links prof...
thanks

Keda, how's the project going? i really like the idea

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jan 20, 2000, 10:42 AM

I am reading alot and looking for a board. There are some used mac dealers around here said they would give me a call if they get any PB w/ blown screens. I dont want to tear apart a functioning Mac.

Thank, everyone, for the links & info. I hope to get a board soon.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2000, 09:55 AM

Keda,

you will find the following page interesting:

member.nifty.ne.jp

Good luck and best regards,

Walter.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2000, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the link. I have actually read of this before. Right now, I am tryingto get the physical dimensions of some logic boards. It seems that the 6500 is not that much bigger then the CC's. Ideally, I would like to find a way to put a G3 board in the macine. One reason for this is that I am going to upgrade my G3266's processor in a few months and would like to put the chip to use.

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2000, 08:10 PM

Keda, if you want individual parts, i would suggest going to smalldog.com, they are the largest vendor of individual parts that i can bring to mind at this point. i built a 603e 240 overclocked to 300 from various parts i bought there.

btw, if you find extra time, check out my website at http://www.macopz.com/

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

bamadhaj
Feb 1, 2000, 12:19 AM

what are the risks in attempting these modifications to your ColorClassic ? what are the safety precautions ?

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2000, 11:25 AM

What are the risks? Wasting a bunch of $$ and time, and ending up with pile of broken parts.

But its a project, so if it fails I'll deal with it. I took the CC apart last night. and did some measurements. When I get some time (Im very busy right now) I want to do a better investigation. But, I have an idea that probably falls into the KrAzY category. The board in my G3(biegeMT) is about 8.5x11 inches. I am investigating mounting this verically in the side of the CC. Besides physical size, the main problem that I see right now is connecting the monitor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules