Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iMovie 3.0.1 slow...

iMovie 3.0.1 slow...
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 05:15 PM

compared to iMovie 2, any thoughts?

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 05:19 PM

Additionally, it skips music while playing

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2003, 05:25 PM

Please post your system specs when posting about speed of apps. It's irrelevant if we don't know what machine you're running it on.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 05:30 PM

OK, a PBti 400/384 MB/40 IBM GNX.

My complains are when comparing iMovie2 to the new release. iMovie 2 worked pretty well, now iMovie 3 seems unusable.

Just my 2 cents

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2003, 08:48 PM

boy, i am telling you, imovie 3 is useless on g4/400, everything is slow. I don't even have a camcorder. I just played around with my photos and i was trying to use ken burn's effect, but it is slow as hell!

maybe i need to update my machine. How's other people with faster processor done?

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 09:07 PM

I disagree, iMovie 2 in my PBti 400 after a new IBM 5,400 rpm GNX was installed was working very well. Even snappy, although effects may be slow. Still, I was editing movies up to 30 minutes long without any problems.

I cannot do that using iMovie 3. Overall responsiness.

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
boy, i am telling you, imovie 3 is useless on g4/400, everything is slow. I don't even have a camcorder. I just played around with my photos and i was trying to use ken burn's effect, but it is slow as hell!

maybe i need to update my machine. How's other people with faster processor done?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2003, 10:18 PM

Totally unusable on an iMac 600 with 320 RAM.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 10:42 PM

You can use this program?

Monkeymike
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 10:47 PM

Very, very slow and choppy on my iBook 600 w/ 384MB of ram!

This sucks! iMovie 2 worked fine....

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 10:50 PM

The new features look really good though! I hope Apple makes iMovie 3.0.2 that fixes the speed issues.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2003, 10:54 PM

i don't understand what you are saying man. you disagree that i think imovie 3 is slow. but at the end you are saying that you cannot do things in imovie 3?

Originally posted by cenutrio:
I disagree, iMovie 2 in my PBti 400 after a new IBM 5,400 rpm GNX was installed was working very well. Even snappy, although effects may be slow. Still, I was editing movies up to 30 minutes long without any problems.

I cannot do that using iMovie 3. Overall responsiness.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
i don't understand what you are saying man. you disagree that i think imovie 3 is slow. but at the end you are saying that you cannot do things in imovie 3?

I think he was saying he had no problems with version 2, and now with 3.01 he can't use it. Atleast thats what I think he is saying.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2003, 11:08 PM

I just played with my last big movie - which ended up being a 85 minute DVD and iMovie does not seem to be that bad. No worse than iMovie 2. This is on a G4 iMac with 768 MB ram and the movie being run off an external 7200 Lacie firewire HD.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2003, 11:12 PM

I haven't even played w/ video yet, just importing some pictures to look at the new transitions.

First take - SUCKS processor cycles!!! Looks great but incredibly slow, welcome back SPOD....

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 11:31 PM

Not responsive at all. Seems to be the trend with new iApp releases though, so its not like we didn't expect this.

but its free, so I can't complain too much.

[edit: oh yeah. 17" iMac 512mb ram]

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 11:40 PM

Thanks,
That's exactly what I wanted to say

I wan't very clear though

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
I think he was saying he had no problems with version 2, and now with 3.01 he can't use it. Atleast thats what I think he is saying.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 12:06 AM

Do you guys get the "Beach ball" for like a minute when the iMovie screen comes up?! it sits forever before I can do ****!

I have a slow 400 G4, but this beach ball spins forever every time I load iMovie 3.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Thanks,
That's exactly what I wanted to say

I wan't very clear though
it's alright. I'm just teasing you. sometimes you need some fun!

i'm feeling pressure posting on these forums because some idiots could not take any apple criticisms at all.

boardsurfer
Feb 1, 2003, 12:54 AM

Oh my. this is incredibly disapointing. My iMac 800 chokes on everything. music skips, playback is choppy. switching between transistion and photo panels, etc, is not responsive at all. The integration is wonderful, but dang. . .

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 01:06 AM

I have a G4 iMac 800 with 768 MB of RAM. In general I find iMovie 3 to be quite responsive. The only exceptions I've found thus far is the intial opening of a project and clicking a clip in the timeline when a clip on the shelf is currently selected. Those are the only two situations where I get the beachball. Other than that, everything seems pretty good.

OAW

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Feb 1, 2003, 01:06 AM

wow - i'm goofing with it on an ibook 800, and it really doesn't seem slow at all. what kind of RAM do people with nad performance have? i have 640, maybe helps a lot? i also tried it on a dual 1 ghz w/768MB, also seemed good. maybe my app. performance standards have dropped....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2003, 01:19 AM

I am sooooo happy now that I got the 1 GHz with 768 MB RAM in my TiBook. I suspect a 12" PB would just be that much slower.

It seems we'll need a single-chip PPC970 at about 1.8 GHz just to run iMovie 3's GUI.

Anyways, can somebody give me some pointers about the languages in the package? I've now deleted everything except English, French, Japanese, and the two Chinese ones.

My working language is English, but I can understand a bit of the others. What are they used for in the package? If just the GUI, then I'll erase everything except for English. If it means I can add chars from other languages into my titles, etc. then I will keep them. Please do tell.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 01:34 AM

iMovie 3 is definitely noticeably slower than iMovie 2 in most regards. I have a B&W G3-450 (almost 4 years old) and a Tibook-800 (6 months old).

Video playback is choppy on the G3, whereas iMovie 2 handles it with much greater ease. Loading projects is also slower. Switching between clips in the tray? Slower. iMovie 3 has a noticeable lag when switching between clips on the G4. It's really not that long, but with iMovie 2 it is instantaneous.

The brushed metal window is an abomination. Metallifizer can't remove it, because they aren't using the standard API for creating brushed metal It seems they've created a special window class for this app, and probably iPhoto 2. This is so screwed up. If you drag the window by the "title bar" area, it drags right away. If you try to drag it by some other brushed metal area, it doesn't immediately drag, but then it jumps to the space
you dragged it.

Guess what? iMovie 3 is in Cocoa. Yes, Apple took two years to port a Carbon app that was in need of some improvements into a cocoa app that needs to be optimized.

Don't get me wrong, the new features are great, but I'd rather they improved the old iMovie and added things like the ability to merge clips or add audio tracks. This is like one step forward and half a step back, when they should have been able to take two steps forward in this amount of time.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 01:52 AM

Fortunately, the new features are really for the "finishing touches". I expect that iMovie 3 will speed up eventually, but as long as it is slower than iMovie 2, I expect I'll do my basic editing in iMovie 2, and then go to iMovie 3 to add in chapters, sound editing, and effects.

kenty
Feb 1, 2003, 03:06 AM

this sucks. anyone planning on hosting imovie 2 so those of use who upgraded can go back to using it ?
- K

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2003, 03:15 AM

iMovie 3 runs just as well on my G4/400 as iMovie 2 did. The only (ONLY) complaint I have is that the scrubber, jumps instead of flowing smoothly across the timeline. I don't understand why it does this, and nothing I've done seems to help.

Other than that, iMovie 3 seems to move actually quite a bit quicker than iMovie 2.
Here are my stats:

G4/400 AGP
896mb RAM
Radeon 8500 (flashed PC)
Mac OS X 10.2.3
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 03:59 AM

Perhaps no one has thought of this yet, but isn't in concievable that Apple has done this intentionally?

This really is a brilliant (yet overdone) method of doing things. First, you get a really great idea, demo it off, and get everyone excited. Then, when the thing had already been delayed, you release it, only it isn't as fast as everyone hoped it to be!

Thereafter, you slowly optimize it, and make sure you have everyone being nursed by these incremental updates.

I would not be surprised if Apple has real working builds of these programs that work a helluva lot better deep in some lab...

And for all you extreme Apple apologists, this isn't about being nice to the consumer, this is about staying in business.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Eug:

Anyways, can somebody give me some pointers about the languages in the package? I've now deleted everything except English, French, Japanese, and the two Chinese ones.
As far as I know it is just so you can have the menu's and such in another language.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
As far as I know it is just so you can have the menu's and such in another language.
No, the help files are in there, along with a ton of other stuff. For example, in the English.lproj directory you can find the entire help system (as html files mostly) and all of the graphics associated with them. In other words, when I deleted the language packs from iPhoto (all except English and French), I got back about 60 MB of disk space. About 20 with iMovie. And about 20 with iCal.

If you uncheck them in the information pane, the .lproj directories get moved to a new directory called "Resources Disabled", so they shouldn't be loaded at program start up but you don't win back the disk real estate. I just deleted them.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 03:24 PM

i get the same thing for about 30-45 seconds on my g4 iMac, 768mb RAM.

i have since reverted to 2.x - i'll give it another try when they do another update.

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Do you guys get the "Beach ball" for like a minute when the iMovie screen comes up?! it sits forever before I can do ****!

I have a slow 400 G4, but this beach ball spins forever every time I load iMovie 3.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 03:25 PM

what part of that is brilliant?

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
Perhaps no one has thought of this yet, but isn't in concievable that Apple has done this intentionally?

This really is a brilliant (yet overdone) method of doing things. First, you get a really great idea, demo it off, and get everyone excited. Then, when the thing had already been delayed, you release it, only it isn't as fast as everyone hoped it to be!

Thereafter, you slowly optimize it, and make sure you have everyone being nursed by these incremental updates.

I would not be surprised if Apple has real working builds of these programs that work a helluva lot better deep in some lab...

And for all you extreme Apple apologists, this isn't about being nice to the consumer, this is about staying in business.

ZackS
Banned
Feb 1, 2003, 08:04 PM

I just opened up iMovie 3 for the first time and I was very upset! Resizing the main editing window makes the first OS X version of IE look like a speed demon. I poked around the app looking for some sort of explanation when I came across something startling (though I'd actually heard others mention it before). iMovie 3's windows are some sort of crazy custom class called IMMetalWindow. It has two connections specific it its class (IMAppController and IMMetalWindowView) that cause iMovie to not launch when broken, making interface hacks to fix the problem impossible. This also means that Apple decided to reinvent the wheel, again, even though they did it the first time. Honestly, what are they trying to do?!

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2003, 09:47 PM

Because Apple promised to make iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 compatible with 10.1.5, they couldn't use the Cocoa metal .nib appearance because that only works in Jaguar. They had to fudge it.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 09:51 PM

To the people who are claiming that iMovie 3.0.1 is slow, by any chance are you using the latest version of Quicktime (6.1)? 6.1 is recommended from Apple for iMovie 3, so there could be a chance it might improve the speed somewhat. (I have yet to download iMovie 3, but I hope that some people can get it running faster)

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 09:51 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I actually find iMovie 3 quite a bit faster in many respects (though it is slower in many ways too)

Note: I'm comparing iMovie 2 (in os x) and iMovie 3 on my G4 733, 256mb ram, Radeon 7500.

Ways it feels faster:

- Rendering seems to be significantly faster than on iMovie 2.
- Previews (both in the small window and in the main editing window) seem much faster, and more responsive. Using Ken's effect with the pictures is really nice... very smooth, nice, preview.
- Scrolling the timeline where all the edited clips are seems much smoother.
- The whole integration makes things much faster.
- Switching between import/edit mode.

Ways it feels slower:

- Opening. It still doesn't seem all that bad for me though... but other people seem to have much worse launch times.
- Scrolling.. or moving through video clips. Even when you play it back, the little video cursur thingy moves quite choppy.

Things that are just plain slow:

- Window resizing stinks.. but hey, at least we can actually do it now.
- Switching between "audio" "clips" "pictures" etc. is kinda delayed.. but I actually had that with iMovie 2 as well.. I'm sure they could make that faster though.
- Rendering does feel faster, but it seems like it slows down the rest of the program more than iMovie 2 did... maybe it's just my imagination.

I'm actually pretty happy with it. I could see how it'd be brutal on any slower G4, or any g3 for that matter.. I'm surprised about people having major speed problems on the 800mhz iMacs though.

<edit> The audio part is reeealy slow for me. I have about 1000 songs in my library, and it loads pretty slowly.. the scrolling is pretty brutal too.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 01:59 PM

Good review, I pretty much agree with most of it.

Originally posted by spectre:
Maybe it's just me, but I actually find iMovie 3 quite a bit faster in many respects (though it is slower in many ways too)

Note: I'm comparing iMovie 2 (in os x) and iMovie 3 on my G4 733, 256mb ram, Radeon 7500.

Ways it feels faster:

- Rendering seems to be significantly faster than on iMovie 2.
- Previews (both in the small window and in the main editing window) seem much faster, and more responsive. Using Ken's effect with the pictures is really nice... very smooth, nice, preview.
- Scrolling the timeline where all the edited clips are seems much smoother.
- The whole integration makes things much faster.
- Switching between import/edit mode.

Ways it feels slower:

- Opening. It still doesn't seem all that bad for me though... but other people seem to have much worse launch times.
- Scrolling.. or moving through video clips. Even when you play it back, the little video cursur thingy moves quite choppy.

Things that are just plain slow:

- Window resizing stinks.. but hey, at least we can actually do it now.
- Switching between "audio" "clips" "pictures" etc. is kinda delayed.. but I actually had that with iMovie 2 as well.. I'm sure they could make that faster though.
- Rendering does feel faster, but it seems like it slows down the rest of the program more than iMovie 2 did... maybe it's just my imagination.

I'm actually pretty happy with it. I could see how it'd be brutal on any slower G4, or any g3 for that matter.. I'm surprised about people having major speed problems on the 800mhz iMacs though.

<edit> The audio part is reeealy slow for me. I have about 1000 songs in my library, and it loads pretty slowly.. the scrolling is pretty brutal too.

sounddweeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2003, 05:34 PM

I agree with the fact that imovie3 is indeed slower than imovie2 in key areas such as playing, moving clips and of course starting up/loading clips. Indeed the entire imovie concept is great and we're lucky we can do what took hardware costing hundreds of thousands of dollars years ago...but an upgrade should be a complete improvement otherwise don't do it. Yes it's free and I appreciate it but we pay a premium being Mac users to begin with. My only complaint with imovie2 was the lack of audio controls that work smoothly in imovie3. You used to have to make an audio edit and adjust the level of that section of the clip which resulted in bumps and clicks. Now you can do it with "clicking and creating a fade" and even adjust the level of your dv footage above 100%. For now I'll continue editing in imovie2 and finish with audio in imovie3. I have a Powerbook TiG4 800mhz with 512KB of RAM. Rendering of effects and transitions seems to be the same as imovie2 but I'm not positive as I haven't timed them. Good luck fellow imovie makers and I hope Apple gives us a speedy solution

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 05:54 PM

I just finished editing an hours worth of my honeymoons video. I'm really impressed with 95% of imovie 3. Somethings can definately be improved upon but overall, thumbs up for a great free program.

I havent noticed any speed diffrenecs really in rendering things.

After using it for 3 days for several hours a day, NO CRASHES!

my little 700 ibook loves it!
(with only 384 ram)

Forum Links
Forum Rules