Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > best way to buy a PowerMac?

best way to buy a PowerMac?
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 10:27 PM

Okay, this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't get the search to work (maybe the MacNN servers are swamped?).

No one has real discounts on PowerMacs. $5 off is about the most I see. So it looks like resellers offer other stuff: free printer, "free" RAM ($40 required install fee), free DVD player, etc, etc. Most of this stuff is "free after rebate" and it looks like some hidden fees apply. (It even looks like MacMall charges shipping and requires you to submit a rebate form to get shipping costs refunded.) What is really the best way to buy a PowerMac?

One twist for me, personally, I qualify for an educational discount. I think all official Apple resellers can do this, but I could be wrong.

So, tax is one thing to consider. My local sales tax on a $1799 dual 1.8GHz would be $125. That's nothing to sneeze at. Since I have an Apple Store here, I'm assuming I'd have to pay local sales tax.

I'm assuming most places will do free shipping (at least with a rebate).

I don't mind selling some of the free crap on eBay to recoup some money, but I'm guessing that this stuff is dirt cheap on eBay because other people do the same thing.

Given that everyone has the same damn price for PowerMacs, how do you get the best overall deal?

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:35 PM

I get 10% off through my companies Apple Store It saved me enough on my PowerBook to go all out and still be cheaper w/ tax, then what it would have cost anywhere else. Go edu through your schools Apple store.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 12:37 AM

If possible, take your college ID and your driver's license on your summer vacation in New Hampshire. Drop by the Salem NH Apple Store and buy a powermac for 10% off with the education discount and no sales tax.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 07:12 AM

I'm not a student - I'm the son of a high school teacher. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the educational discount, I'm more interested in other aspects of the deal (since the educational discount is the same everywhere, at least online).

So which of the authorized resellers throw in the most valuable extras? Or maybe offer the best discounts on other purchases made along with the G5? Again, I'm willing to eBay the extras.

konakazi
Jun 29, 2004, 08:25 AM

You'll probably be hard pressed to get any real deals out there on current machines.

I recently placed an order for a G5 2.5 through MacConnection after shopping around for a little while.

I believe that MacMall was offering the "free" RAM and/or a "free" printer. If you wanted to go ahead and resell those items in order to try to recoup your spendings, I guess that would be the way to go.

However, as you mentioned, all those things have hidden fees and you'll be waiting to get your money back for a while before you can sell off those "free" items.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by konakazi:
"free" printer
I always thought it funny that a reseller offers a free printer that retails for $79 (and is a p.o.s) on a computer purchase of $2500. I buy a kick-a$$ computer and want the worst printer available?

kcourt
Jun 29, 2004, 01:49 PM

I used MacConnection - no tax and free shipping. Currently have extra gb of ram free and a free HP printer. I also ordered Canon i960 photo printer ($30 rebate on this).

I have used MacConnection for a few years now - great service.

Kathy

Forum Links
Forum Rules