Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon introduces Elph SD110 & S410 successors!

Canon introduces Elph SD110 & S410 successors!
im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 05:14 AM

Here is the new 3.2 MP PowerShot SD200. The new 4MP SD300 looks similar.

Canon introduced today what they call their smallest cameras yet to incorporate a 3X optical zoom. These two new elphs feature some noticeable enhancements:

PowerShot SD200
� 3.2 effective Megapixel CCD
� F2.8-4.9, 3X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 35 - 105 mm; uses same UA lens technology as S60 and S70
2.0" LCD display
� AF-assist lamp
� First PowerShots to use the DIGIC II image processor
� Point-and-shoot operation with 13 shooting modes
� Continuous shooting mode lets you shoot at 2.4 frames/second until the memory card is full
� Finally an improved movie mode! Record at 640 x 480 (30 fps) until the memory card is full or use the new 320 x 240 (60 fps) mode to record up to one minute of video
� Uses SD memory cards; 16MB card included
� Uses new NB-4L lithium-ion battery
� Compact metal body: 3.4 x 2.2 x 0.9 inches (W x H x D)
� PictBridge-enabled
� Ships in October for $299

PowerShot SD300 - same as above, except:
� 4.0 effective Megapixel CCD
� Slightly different design on the front of the camera
� Ships in November for $399

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 05:27 AM

Also released today were a new batch of 5MP Canon PowerShot SD20's (remember those tiny 4MP SD10's?) New colours this time. My advice to anyone wanting this camera is to pick up one of the old models for a discounted price, while they last...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 05:35 AM

beautiful. i just got my nikon so i'm sticking to it for quite some time. those canon's look very nice though. hrmm ... i wanna see more pics front/back and i want to see a size comparison between the new elphs and the old ones .. i know u listed dimensions but i dont want to go through the hassle of comparing the dimensions.

they sound great though. (and look great too)

those tiny tiny ones ... i'm not a fan of the picture quality

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
beautiful. i just got my nikon so i'm sticking to it for quite some time. those canon's look very nice though. hrmm ... i wanna see more pics front/back and i want to see a size comparison between the new elphs and the old ones .. i know u listed dimensions but i dont want to go through the hassle of comparing the dimensions.

they sound great though. (and look great too)

those tiny tiny ones ... i'm not a fan of the picture quality
Go here for more pictures: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...sd200sd300.asp and a press release.

Yeah, the SD10-20's lack optical zoom as well! I have a feeling a lot of people are going to warm up to the new slimmer PowerShots though... I'm probbably going to pick up the SD200.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 05:49 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if these new PowerShots can fit inside an Altoid can?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Hmmm, I wonder if these new PowerShots can fit inside an Altoid can?

Noah
someone wants a pentax .. =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 05:56 AM

Go here for more pictures: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...sd200sd300.asp and a press release.

Yeah, the SD10-20's lack optical zoom as well! I have a feeling a lot of people are going to warm up to the new slimmer PowerShots though... I'm probbably going to pick up the SD200.

Noah
saw those .. i hate the new design of the ring around the lens ... the etched one on the 4mp camera and the ripples around the 3.2. the chromed ring before looked nice. clean ... would look clean if it was matte on this version .. why did they need to ripple and etch the new ones .. the 4mp one looks horrible (the etched ring) while the rest of the camera is gorgeous!

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 06:40 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 06:49 PM

I have a (black) SD10. Great camera overall, given the size.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 01:21 PM

Well, I was looking forward to the SD200 and thought I was convinced that it was the best camera for me...

But after reading the Canadian version of the SD200/SD300 press release, I see that Canon has decided to overcharge Canadians for these two cameras. I wasn't expecting the SD200 to be overpriced by over $120 Cdn. Our Canadian dollar remains VERY strong and Canon's pricing is unacceptable! My money will now be spent on a camera from a different company...

For example, as stated in Canon's press releases:

SD200 3MP - $300 US
SD300 4MP - $400 US

SD200 3MP - $500 Cdn ($500 for a 3MP camera, you have got to be kidding!)
SD300 4MP - $600 Cdn

What these two cameras should retail for in Cdn dollars:

$300 US converted into Cdn funds = $382.11 Cdn (Canon should have priced it @ $400 Cdn)
$400 US converted into Cdn funds = $509.48 Cdn (Canon should have priced it between $500-$550 Cdn)

EDIT! Prices aren't the same as Canon's Canadian Press release initially stated. The correct prices in Canadian dollars are as follows:

SD200 - $400 + taxes
SD300 - $500 + taxes

Much more reasonable, if you ask me

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Oct 21, 2004 at 03:31 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 07:25 PM

damn .. buy it from the states and pay the shipping charges, or get a friend to do it.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 02:23 AM

I've got a Canon SD100 and I love the thing. These new ones are essentially the same but now include a 3x optical zoom and it looks a tiny bit thinner as well. Mine isn't small enough to fit into an Altoids tin but it fits into my pockets just fine. The SD memory cards that it uses have also come down in price significantly in the past few months, it isn't difficult to find 1GB cards for under $100. Here's some pictures I've taken with my camera, except for having been resized they're unprocessed.

For such a small camera I think it takes pretty nice pictures. I'm a bit jealous since the SD200 has a 3x optical zoom whereas the SD100 only has 2x. The camera works perfectly with iPhoto and movies are easily downloaded through Image Capture. Though its a feature I never expected to use much the movie capture of my camera is really impressive. I've recorded segments of concerts, people goofing around, and my dog playing in the rain all without ever expecting to.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 07:54 PM

i might be grabbing a sd200 ... hrmm will hafta see. when do u expect cnet and steve to review 'em? i'll make my decision by october 18th

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 07:09 AM

I've had a Canon PowerShot S230 Elph for a year or so now. My only real complaint is speed. It takes too long for the autofocus to do its thing and then it takes too long for the camera to "process" before it's ready for the next shot. What is the lag time like in the new models? How long does it take from the time you turn the camera on until you can snap the first picture? How long before you can take another?

Thanks for the info.

mstillwagon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 02:38 PM

I have had a S330 for well over a year and have snapped off close to 3000 photos. It is a great camera. You can not go wrong with a Canon.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by CambAngst:
I've had a Canon PowerShot S230 Elph for a year or so now. My only real complaint is speed. It takes too long for the autofocus to do its thing and then it takes too long for the camera to "process" before it's ready for the next shot. What is the lag time like in the new models? How long does it take from the time you turn the camera on until you can snap the first picture? How long before you can take another?

Thanks for the info.

i assume it's much faster with the digic II processor ... which is why i put cash down to order one. my nikon is great. but the fast snapping is what caught me .. i only hope the autofocus is as fast ... and mainly night shots and dark shots .. i hope it takes good night shot pix. a lot of people are afraid of it's smaller ccd. they claim smaller ccd = more noise. i doubt they are wrong .. i wish they would send a review out nice and quick ... no idea when i'mma get mine .. it's on hold until the camera's are put out..

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by mstillwagon:
I have had a S330 for well over a year and have snapped off close to 3000 photos. It is a great camera. You can not go wrong with a Canon.

how does the s330 compare with the sd200? (i never heard of the s330)

i know of the

s230, sd110, s400, s410, s500 ... shrug

i hear the canon's images are great. i just hope the sd200 cranks out great superfine images, and shutter lag, night shots, processing is fast ... hopefully .. i still get a hard on for the canon styling ... it's so .... like a camera should look (imho)

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 10:58 AM

If you want to see what can (and can't) be done with a 5MP Canon Elph, check out my Mojave site.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by denim:
If you want to see what can (and can't) be done with a 5MP Canon Elph, check out my Mojave site.
i like the details on that lamppost... did u take it at high res and shrink it (making it look better?) i didnt check the size of it ...

i am not too impressed with the video though .. i have a nikon doing 640x480 (shrug)

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 03:45 PM

i like the details on that lamppost... did u take it at high res and shrink it (making it look better?) i didnt check the size of it ...

i am not too impressed with the video though .. i have a nikon doing 640x480 (shrug)
I took all stills at the maximum settings, yes. The video, well, the camera's tuned for stills. And I didn't set the focal length right before I started.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by denim:

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 05:16 AM

bump ... no one else have any comments? =(

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 08:29 AM

Someone in Europe posted some initial impressions of the SD300 in another forum and seemed generally pleased with the camera. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=22967

There appears to be some minor purple fringing in shots. Take a look at Canon's sample images to determine if this bothers you. Personally, it's not something that would bother me for the type of photos I'd be taking.

I think it's a safe bet that the S410 will edge out these newer models in terms of photo quality, but certainly not by a large degree. Until reputable reviews begin to appear, we should all just take the wait and see approach.

The Digic II processor, compact size, large 2.0" LCD, and an improved movie mode, are the reasons you'd want to buy either the SD200 or SD300 over the S410.

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Oct 6, 2004 at 08:37 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 04:43 PM

Someone in Europe posted some initial impressions of the SD300 in another forum and seemed generally pleased with the camera. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=22967

There appears to be some minor purple fringing in shots. Take a look at Canon's sample images to determine if this bothers you. Personally, it's not something that would bother me for the type of photos I'd be taking.

I think it's a safe bet that the S410 will edge out these newer models in terms of photo quality, but certainly not by a large degree. Until reputable reviews begin to appear, we should all just take the wait and see approach.

The Digic II processor, compact size, large 2.0" LCD, and an improved movie mode, are the reasons you'd want to buy either the SD200 or SD300 over the S410.

Noah
i already have an sd200 on order. mainly for the reasons listed above. fast, compact, lcd, moviemode (finally!) ... there were worries that the decreased ccd size meant more noise ... what i'm wondering is how noticeable is the difference. when will decent reviews (steve/cnet) come out? ... geez ... you'd think they'd have 'em in hand by now!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 6, 2004, 05:23 PM

S410 successor? www.powershot.com puts the S300 below the S410 (although I'm not sure why). Also, the S20 is below the S110.

I just bought a Canon EOS 20D. I think I'll sell my Canon G2 and maybe eventually get a S300 or something.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
S410 successor? www.powershot.com puts the S300 below the S410 (although I'm not sure why). Also, the S20 is below the S110.

I just bought a Canon EOS 20D. I think I'll sell my Canon G2 and maybe eventually get a S300 or something.
At the time of its announcement, the new SD300 seemed to have the potential of becoming a suitable successor to the S410. After some initial impressions of the camera, I now have my doubts. They may decide to keep a higher quality "S" line (S410, S500, S700?) which uses larger compact flash cards, or they may opt to continue switching their remaining "S" cameras to the "SD" name and use the tiny SD cards. The ball is in Canon's court.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 11:49 PM

At the time of its announcement, the new SD300 seemed to have the potential of becoming a suitable successor to the S410. After some initial impressions of the camera, I now have my doubts. They may decide to keep a higher quality "S" line (S410, S500, S700?) which uses larger compact flash cards, or they may opt to continue switching their remaining "S" cameras to the "SD" name and use the tiny SD cards. The ball is in Canon's court.

Noah
Do you think i should wait on the s410's successor with a SD card?

i doubt they could fit a 2.5inch lcd .. i assume they will use the same 2inch lcd. the only real improvement i could think of is a larger ccd ... perhaps the same ccd the s410 carried. i assume this would give s410 quality, in a thinner body, (using the new thinner lenses) all else being the same, it would still give better picture quality than the s300(just using the larger ccd) (from what i hear)
( Last edited by Lancer409; Oct 6, 2004 at 11:56 PM. )

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 07:50 AM

Do you think i should wait on the s410's successor with a SD card?
I can't predict when and what Canon will release, I can only guess like everyone else. If their history means anything we can expect an S700 (7MP, Digic II, larger LCD, etc).

If you are willing to sacrafice a little image quality, I'm sure you'll love the slim SD200/SD300, as they look like cool little cameras with a lot of punch. The positives of these cameras far outwheigh the negatives, in my oppinion.

If you are a professional photographer and image quality means everything to you and you don't want to lug around a large camera, than the S410, S500 are worth considering. The S700 (unlikely SD700) will likely reclaim the crown when it's released, but until than I'd go with what you think would suit you best at this time.

I'm probbably not the best person to ask, because I myself am also trying to figure out what camera I want to buy. I still might splurge on the SD200. I keep telling myself that I don't really need to spend $500 for a point and shoot digital camera :S Uhh well, we'll see if I fall in love with this camera when I try it out in person.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 08:05 AM

......when will decent reviews (steve/cnet) come out? ... geez ... you'd think they'd have 'em in hand by now!
I'm waiting for the reviews to come out as well, as they will play a large part in my final purchsing decision. Dpreview, dcresource, and steves reviews seem to be some of the more respectable sites to watch for. Hopefully, the wait isn't much longer...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 10:00 AM

I just purchased the A85. How does the A85 compare to the SD110 and S410?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 7, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by OSX Abuser:
I just purchased the A85. How does the A85 compare to the SD110 and S410?
Different form factor. The A series are nice, but the SD series are much smaller. Not really a direct comparison.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 05:39 PM

I can't predict when and what Canon will release, I can only guess like everyone else. If their history means anything we can expect an S700 (7MP, Digic II, larger LCD, etc).

If you are willing to sacrafice a little image quality, I'm sure you'll love the slim SD200/SD300, as they look like cool little cameras with a lot of punch. The positives of these cameras far outwheigh the negatives, in my oppinion.

If you are a professional photographer and image quality means everything to you and you don't want to lug around a large camera, than the S410, S500 are worth considering. The S700 (unlikely SD700) will likely reclaim the crown when it's released, but until than I'd go with what you think would suit you best at this time.

I'm probbably not the best person to ask, because I myself am also trying to figure out what camera I want to buy. I still might splurge on the SD200. I keep telling myself that I don't really need to spend $500 for a point and shoot digital camera :S Uhh well, we'll see if I fall in love with this camera when I try it out in person.

Noah
I'm obviously not a pro (if i was .. 3.2 would kill me) .. but image quality means a lot to me. that being said. i dont like the size of the s410, and now that i've seen the sd200, i cant get over the s410's small lcd, and i never liked compact flash over sd. i just hope i dont notice the quality difference (as in .. i hope they are very close)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 05:40 PM

I'm waiting for the reviews to come out as well, as they will play a large part in my final purchsing decision. Dpreview, dcresource, and steves reviews seem to be some of the more respectable sites to watch for. Hopefully, the wait isn't much longer...

Noah

if u find 'em before me, please keep us posted on this thread ... as i recheck this thread religiously =P

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 11:36 PM

I like the SD capable cameras a bit more than the CF ones. SD cards are much smaller and are a lot easier to carry around in small camera bags or almost overstuffed pockets. My SD100 came with a 16MB card and a little plastic case to carry it in. I already had two 128MB cards so I gave the 16MB card to my parents (they have a Kodak CX4200) and keep one card in my camera and the other in my case. It's a lot more convenient switching SD cards than CF ones.

If I can scrounge up some spare cash I'm thinking about grabbing a 1GB SD card next time I find a nice rebate on one. I'd be able to up the picture quality to Superfine and still have enough room for more pictures than my battery would survive on a single charge.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
I like the SD capable cameras a bit more than the CF ones. SD cards are much smaller and are a lot easier to carry around in small camera bags or almost overstuffed pockets. My SD100 came with a 16MB card and a little plastic case to carry it in. I already had two 128MB cards so I gave the 16MB card to my parents (they have a Kodak CX4200) and keep one card in my camera and the other in my case. It's a lot more convenient switching SD cards than CF ones.

If I can scrounge up some spare cash I'm thinking about grabbing a 1GB SD card next time I find a nice rebate on one. I'd be able to up the picture quality to Superfine and still have enough room for more pictures than my battery would survive on a single charge.

Buy.com has the Lexar 1GB 32x Secure Digital Card for $80 - $30 rebate = $50 w/ free shipping.
http://www.buy.com//retail/product.a...184&dcaid=1688

rebate is here
http://ak.buy.com/buy_assets/retail/...ltiLexarSD.pdf

SOMEONE QUICK! tell me, should i get those ultra sd cards (faster rate) 60x i believe... or is this 32x card fast enough? I want a card that WILL NOT hold back the Digic 2 in the Canon SD200 (camera is on order already..! so i want something that will not sllow it down. i will get it sometime in november as they are not shipping yet, so i can wait on a better SD card deal. although this is insanely flippin fantastic.) anybody know?!?!?!?

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 04:12 AM

If your camera won't support 60X write speeds it doesn't do a lot of good to get 60X cards. Also figure a 32X card writes at 4.8MB/s which will write a ~500KB image pretty quickly. I doubt the 32X cards will have any trouble keeping up with your new camera. Let us know how you like the SD200 when it comes in. I'd love to hear how it fares as the proud owner of a workhorse SD100.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
If your camera won't support 60X write speeds it doesn't do a lot of good to get 60X cards. Also figure a 32X card writes at 4.8MB/s which will write a ~500KB image pretty quickly. I doubt the 32X cards will have any trouble keeping up with your new camera. Let us know how you like the SD200 when it comes in. I'd love to hear how it fares as the proud owner of a workhorse SD100.

will definately review it (compared to a nikon coolpix 3200 that i just sold to a friend of mine.

as for 60x, i dont know if the sd200 will support 60x or not. i just remember slight lags while the nikon was downloading the image to the card sometimes. i may be taking a lot of max res shots with the sd200. also, the nikon was fine at taking 640x480 video's on a regular sandisk 256 card. but the thing is, i hear the digic II processor speeds up processing by a substantial amount. i dont know if the 60x speed will be useful or not. basically if i'm going to buy a fast camera, i dont want to choke it on ram. kinda like a g5 with 200 front side bus ... =P ...

anyone have any idea if the 60x cards will benefit the canon sd200? i'm waiting for some damn reviews to tell me!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 08:36 AM

Continuous shooting
� 2.4 fps until memory card becomes full (with LCD monitor off) and depending on the memory card capacity and speed

Double The Difference With DIGIC II Technology

The new PowerShot SD200 and SD300 Digital ELPHs are the first in the PowerShot line of digital cameras to utilize DIGIC II Technology. Canon's DIGIC II image processor is without question, the most powerful imaging processor that the company has ever put into a digital camera. It boasts improved color reproduction of high-saturation, bright subjects, improved auto white balance precision, and wider dynamic range in highlight areas. In addition to its image quality improvements, the DIGIC II chip is also responsible for speeding up camera performance in areas such as start-up time, autofocus calculation, card-writing speed, continuous shooting and movie recording.

Will this make good use of 60x speed cards?

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

I was in the a major electronics store today and while browsing through the camera section I noticed a small Canon promotional flyer. While browsing through this flyer, I noticed the absense of both the PowerShot S410 and SD110.

Canon cameras missing from this flyer included:

-S410 (New SD300 released recently)
-SD110 (New SD200 released recently)
-A60 (Two new "A" models were released recently. I believe this is Canon's only 2MP camera left in their line-up)
-A310 (New A400 released recently)

Every other camera from the official PowerShot Website is included in the flyer. The above cameras are noticeably absent. Take this information however you wish. What it likely means is that the above four models will be discontinued in the near future, as they all appear to have suitable newer successors. You can argue that the S410 offers superior image quality to the SD300, but that won't stop Canon from choosing to discontinue this model. It is likely that the S500 will soon fall into the S410's price category and as both models are very similar, I'm sure few would complain.

If I had to take a speculative guess: Canon will discontinue the S410 officialy when they announce the S700 (7MP Elph), which will be relative in size to the current S500.

Just thought I'd share this little bit of information, as I thought some may find it interesting.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 03:16 AM

if u find 'em before me, please keep us posted on this thread ... as i recheck this thread religiously =P
DCResource has posted the first official review of the SD300! You can check it out, by going here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2004, 05:25 AM

DCResource has posted the first official review of the SD300! You can check it out, by going here: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

Noah
WooT loving u right now Noah .. now .. on with the read!

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 09:03 AM

Anyone know when these bad boys are going to be available in stores?

Amazon shows December 10. MacMall says, "please call." I saw some other site that I can't find right now that said "early November."

An availability date is conspicuously absent from the Canon site.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 03:43 AM

Amazon shows December 10. MacMall says, "please call." I saw some other site that I can't find right now that said "early November."

They still aren't available where I live, and I'm checking on a daily basis. I want to try before I buy, so ordering online is completely out of the question.

Most stores I have been to are clueless, as to when either camera will arrive. However, Canon themselves have repeatedly stated:

SD200 - October
SD300 - November

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 05:39 AM

I have mine already .. sd200 .. sweet

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 05:40 AM

They still aren't available where I live, and I'm checking on a daily basis. I want to try before I buy, so ordering online is completely out of the question.

Most stores I have been to are clueless, as to when either camera will arrive. However, Canon themselves have repeatedly stated:

SD200 - October
SD300 - November

Noah

Hmm .. Best Buys has 'em on display =) .. check it out ..

others who are interested and willing to buy online,
newegg.com, amazon.com etc

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 05:05 PM

Only the SD 200's. Amazon still shows the SD 300 with a "release date" of December 10. Anyone have a confirmed siting of the SD 300?

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 11:43 AM

FYI: I asked a guy in the digital camera department at Best Buy over the weekend. They already have the SD 200 in stock, but they have not been told when to expect the first batch of SD 300's. His best guess was "some time before Thanksgiving." Upon further questioning, that was only based on his belief that they want it on the shelf in time for Christmas shoppers.

Only the SD 200's. Amazon still shows the SD 300 with a "release date" of December 10. Anyone have a confirmed siting of the SD 300?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 10:03 AM

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 09:44 PM

some pics

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10841219
Thanks for the picz Lancer. Do you know what the difference is between "macro" and "digital macro". Are they two seperate modes? I don't know what the difference is?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2004, 10:07 PM

I finally had the opportunity to see the SD200 in the store today. For those interested in this camera or the SD300, its DAMN tiny! It's the smallest quality camera I've ever seen and used. Maybe too small? If you have large hands, you will definitely want to play with this camera in a store before you buy - it's much smaller than the S400!

After seeing it in person, I do have a few concerns. It may not be a big deal to everyone, but there were a few little things that might be of concern to others as well.

-it's small size may frustrate those who have large hands. This is subjective, of-course, but worth mentioning.
-the on/off button switch is an easy to push button. Not a scroll switch or slider switch, like I've seen on some other camera models. If this button is accidentally pushed when the camera is in a bag, pocket or case, this could damage the lens. I'm not sure if it has a sensor to protect itself from damage, if this were to occur.
-The 2" LCD display of this camera has no protective screen. I prefer cameras that have a plastic coating over the display, to shield the delicate LCD against dents and knacks that very easily can occur over time. One wrong poke and this could be a very expensive repair .

These are only minor quibbles, and are definitely not deciding factor material, but these few points may be of interest to some.

I'm totally amazed at how small this camera is! You really have to see it in person to see what I mean. I'm going to think about this purchase for another week, before I finally decide on what camera to buy. The SD200 is just so stylish compared to other compact digital cameras This is gonna be a hard decision...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules