Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > App idea for tipped employees

App idea for tipped employees
3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2004, 03:53 AM

I have an idea for an app for use by tipped employess such as servers, valets etc.

Heres the deal. I'm a waiter as well as a developer. As a server, all of my income is derived from my tips. I like to keep track of what I make every night on my calander on my wall. I also keep track how much I have made thus far that week as a running total each day. There are many other little statistics I would to be able to keep track of. Like say, how much do I average on tuesdays? This month? This Year? Or from the first time I recorded a tip? What did I make the first week of April? What is the date of my best day? My Worst? Whats my average days tip? You get the idea.

Anyway I was thinking about excel when i thought maybe I'd make a dedicated app instead. What are ya'lls thoughts? Any other server/devs here?
3R1C

Wafflestomper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 12:25 AM

sounds like a cool idea, would any other tip driven people find this useful?

hayesk
Nov 3, 2004, 12:02 PM

Excel can do stuff like that but it's clumsy. I agree that you should stay away from it. I think a database is a better option. If I were a server/valet, I'd probably do it in FileMaker Pro, unless I wanted an exercise in Programming Cocoa. In FileMaker it's very quick to add new reports, statistics, etc. and put it in a usable interface that isn't clumsy like Excel.

If you have FileMaker or the money to buy it, I recommend it. If you don't want to buy it, then yes, invest the time in doing a Cocoa app over excel. Just keep in mind, it will take more time.

Right now, I am converting a FileMaker database (a shopping list app) to a Cocoa application, just for the Cocoa practice. The Cocoa app will look a lot nicer and polished when it is finished, but it's taking a lot more time and code to do it. I probably won't do it again. I have a few FileMaker based shareware products. In the future, I will continue to use FileMaker for database-oriented applications, and Cocoa for the others.

Endeavor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 11:19 AM

I was in the same boat over the past few summers and did the same thing, put together a little tip counting app. I had trouble getting some of the cocoa/obj-c functionality together, but I did manage to get most of it to work with applescript studio of all things.
Powerbook G4 400 / 10.3.7

Forum Links
Forum Rules