Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Suggestions for data storage

Suggestions for data storage
kcourt
Dec 30, 2004, 01:35 PM

I have a new G5 2.5mhz, 2gb ram. I want to know the best solution for backing up my data - at the moment I am burning CD's - but I think there must be a better solution. I thought about an external HD, using firewire. Is this the best way? If so, any names.....
I would like something that is easy to use

Thanks.

Kathy

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

This is certainly not the cheapest solution, but it is easy. I have a CMS external Firewire drive (from CMS). It comes with backup software already included. You launch the software and you get a backup. Maxtor one-touch drives do the same thing, I believe, but I know nothing about them personally.

Another option is just to use backup software such as retrospect from dantz, with the firewire drive.

I haven't used CDs in a very long time. I like the firewire drives as a solution, though I'm a little concerned about a lightning strike or fire. What I need to do is get another external drive and rotate one off site.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by kcourt:
If you have a .Mac account, you can use Backup and save some of your more critical files offsite.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2004, 04:05 PM

(I think you mean gHz for that processer.)

It really depends on how much information you want to back up, in my book. I use a FW400 drive because it's more than fast enough for my occasional backups, and plenty of space. It's cheapest to buy a hd and a FW enclosure and assemble them yourself (5 min), but easiest to buy a pre-assembled package. If I can deduce from your machine that you have some cashflow, the forums tend to praise OWC for their fast drives. The comment about different geographic locations is apt, but it depends again on how much and how important it is... I have GB's of data I'm unwilling to lose, so, I have to use drives. If you were only backing up documents or whatnot, you could make do quite well with a drive and using cd's for your 'different location' backup.
Cameron

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by kcourt:
I have a new G5 2.5mhz, 2gb ram. I want to know the best solution for backing up my data - at the moment I am burning CD's - but I think there must be a better solution. I thought about an external HD, using firewire. Is this the best way? If so, any names.....

Thanks.

Kathy
Depends on how much data you need to back up.

Don't forget that (unless you ordered your machine without one) your Mac has a DVD burner in it. 4.7GB worth of space, versus CDRs which hold only 650-700MB.

You might be able to fit what you need to back up on to a DVD or two. Cheaper than a second hard drive and easy to store off site (safety deposit box, etc).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2004, 05:16 AM

If you have an iPod, use that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Depends on how much data you need to back up.
I think you also need to consider the nature of the data you are backing up.
If this is work related databases, financial information, or other irreplaceable material then you need to take steps to back it up correctly. Which means burn them to less volatile media like Cdr or DVDr and have multiple copies of it in at least two locations. I would not consider hard drives a good choice for this type of thing.

If this is something like a music collection, video files, etc.., then I would say can go with DVDr or hard drives

If this is for working copies of files like a thesis, Photoshop files, and things that you really just need backup copies of then that is where a hard drive, flash drives, or things of the sort are a better choice.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules