Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > damaged macbook pro: what do you think of my options?

damaged macbook pro: what do you think of my options?
Cheyanne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2009, 07:02 PM

I brought a macbook pro for school through my job and one month into owning the laptop a freak accident happened causing a splash of green tea to spill on the computer (i was in the library working on my midterm and someone banged into the table causing my cup to tip over )

i immediately tipped it upside down and let it power off. I let it dry out for about 4 days. When I resumed using it, it worked fine for another two months. Then one day it wouldn't boot up. I didn't know if the problem was from the spill or something else so I brought it to be serviced through apple care. They rejected fixing it saying they found a "splash" of liquid in the laptop. When I saw the pictorial evidence they sent back I couldn't enough cause it was literally one dried droplet in there, nothing else (sucks for me)

So I was told in order to get it fixed it would cost about $1100. But the tech person not to pay for it to be fixed because it's not "cost effective". Instead he said to sell my current one for parts and buy a new one.

Problem is a new one is going to cost another $1600+ which I'm not sure I can even swing again. Fixing it costs $1100. I would sell the current for parts but I wanted to remove my personal info from it before I sell it, but since the computer will not boot up, I'm not sure if that is possible. Furthermore all the macbooks i've seen going for parts are barely getting $300. It seems like a lose-lose situation.

So for those that had liquid damage what did you do? Any suggestions you can give other than what I posted?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009, 10:35 PM

Welcome to the forums! I've moved your thread to the Mac Notebooks forum from the Mac Pro forum-you probably didn't notice the forum descriptions when you posted.

There's a sticky thread about liquid damage to Mac notebooks here in the Notebooks forum-take a close and detailed look at it. If you still have questions about your options, by all means, please post more here.

Again, welcome to our forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cheyanne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2009, 09:40 AM

ghporter sorry for not paying more attention to the forum titles. thanks for your help

Cold Warrior
Nov 10, 2009, 01:51 PM

edit

Yes, please use the sticky, but return to this thread if you need to discuss options for a brand new model. Repair options related to liquid damage should stay in the sticky though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules