Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Interview

Apple Interview
return338
Banned
Sep 16, 2011, 05:31 PM

Today I had a 2nd interview with Apple to be a Genius, I thought I aced it, but one of the interviewers made me a little skeptical, but during the interview I mentioned I researched apple intensively because I was so excited about this interview and one of the other interviews corrected me and said "you mean this opportunity right?" What might this imply?

Thorzdad
Sep 16, 2011, 05:37 PM

In modern American business, everything is an "opportunity". It's simply biz-speak meant to make the speaker appear upbeat and positive.

So, now you know this is the language they speak at Apple. Adjust your speech accordingly.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2011, 06:00 PM

I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I think he meant that there was no reason to be excited about the interview itself, but rather you would be excited about the opportunity of actually working there.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2011, 06:01 PM

When they started opening Apple Stores near me I considered applying, but after a few interactions with the first one I was glad I didn't. All the clapping and cheering, that false forced enthusiasm and actually being thought less of for not using that sort of business jargon. It just isn't for me. I'd end up killing someone.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2011, 06:09 PM

I agree. I know a guy who works in an Apple store and it sounds dreadful.

Working in retail is dreadful.

I worked at Kinko's from the age of 18-23. Five years. I learned a lot and it was a good stepping stone for me. At any rate, I now have 13 more years of post-retail "real" jobs under my belt, and yet... to this day, I still have dreams that I'm back working at Kinko's and it's miserable. Very detailed and memorable dreams. At least one a month... and I've never once had a dream about any of the cushy office jobs I've had since then. Not a one.

What the hell is that about?

return338  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2011, 06:15 PM

yeah there is a lot of that false forced enthusiasm there, and the employees kind of seem as if they rank them selves intellectually superior to you just because they work in glorified retail, but they pay is good for my age and location....plus they give you some certifications(had to look that word up after they mentioned it, apparently its some kind of thing they give you saying you are capable of doing something, i dont how accurate that is but its what i got out of the definition)

return338  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2011, 06:22 PM

posted in wrong place.....my bad
( Last edited by return338; Sep 16, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: posted incorrectly)

return338  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I agree. I know a guy who works in an Apple store and it sounds dreadful.

I worked at Kinko's from the age of 18-23. Five years. I learned a lot and it was a good stepping stone for me. At any rate, I now have 13 more years of post-retail "real" jobs under my belt, and yet... to this day, I still have dreams that I'm back working at Kinko's and it's miserable. Very detailed and memorable dreams. At least one a month... and I've never once had a dream about any of the cushy office jobs I've had since then. Not a one.

prob. has something to do with you pessimistic view of life, centrally focusing on the negative aspects your past and current life in general entails, at least on a sub-conscience level. Try pointing ur attention toward your "real" jobs ass clown. You got an office, but sound like a faggot chopping it up about your dreams on a blog in your spare time.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 06:55 PM

Certainly a peculiar way to respond to advice.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2011, 07:06 PM

Ha! I worked at Kinko's as well, and yes it is a loathsome, miserable environment. FedEx's purchase of it and subsequent dropping of the pay levels made things lot worse than they needed to be. I was at $8.50 when I was there in 2006 and I couldn't believe how much I and the other people who worked there had to know software-wise. Way too much given the pay levels.

I got out after only 6 months though and took an 'opportunity' with FedEx Express as a driver. Now that was... fun. In addition to the recurring mini-dreams I still have 3 years after leaving, I had one unprecedented dream last year; I ran my entire route in real-time. It was literally an 8 hour dream. Horrible traffic, shitty messages from Dispatch over my powerpad, argumentative customers, work from other routes getting dumped on me...

It was amazing. I woke up feeling tired.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thorzdad
Sep 16, 2011, 07:20 PM

Say "Goodbye" to new member return338, folks. Such bad manners.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by return338 View Post
prob. has something to do with you pessimistic view of life, centrally focusing on the negative aspects your past and current life in general entails, at least on a sub-conscience level. Try pointing ur attention toward your "real" jobs ass clown. You got an office, but sound like a faggot chopping it up about your dreams on a blog in your spare time.
U mad bro?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by return338 View Post
WTF was that ?

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2011, 08:23 PM

He should work for Pop Copy, looks like he'd go far.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2011, 11:20 PM

So Rob is putting the number 338 after his name now?

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
It was amazing. I woke up feeling tired.
I used to have dreams of answering the switchboard. Then I'd wake up and be at work.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2011, 09:57 AM

There is no amount of money you could pay me to ever work in retail again ... unless it's the University Computer Store. THAT was the best retail experience ever: we were hidden in the basement of the IT building, pay was through the IT department (so, great for a university student) and we had no competition in the city so there was no motivation to cater to the customer's every whim. Mostly, we sat around and surfed the 'net all day for $20/hour. Perfect example of bureaucratic waste, but I didn't understand or care about that at the time.

But, mall retail? THAT sucked. And, I imagine the Apple Store, which is crazy busy all the time, would suck even more.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2011, 04:22 PM

I worked at a big box retailer in management for 5 years. Also still have the dreams (nightmares!) that I'm back. Not one a month but enough that I remember I had them.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Certainly a peculiar way to respond to advice.
ebuddy

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 11:42 AM

Wow. I just now returned to this thread.

What a strange fellow this return338 is.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 11:51 AM

Abe?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2011, 12:51 PM

Just another drop in the sea of mysteries.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 02:44 PM

Retail isn't necessarily hell.

I enjoyed the majority of my experience working in retail post-college. I miss some of it, like the flexible hours, the overtime, the wide variety of customers I saw every day.

On the other hand, working a semi-normal office job (tech support as a government contractor, so it's not exactly a typical 9-5 corporate gig) has its perks.

Apple has some great benefits for hourly employees, both part- and full-time. The quality of your experience will be significantly impacted by the particular store that hires you).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2011, 03:36 PM

First World Problem... as they say.

Yes, retail isn't total hell. I learned a lot about the world and myself working in retail. It is indeed, not so bad. It's better then a lot of other things you could be doing.

I think some personalities are much more suited for it then I am.

I didn't even spend that much time interacting with customers. Honestly, the worst part was dealing with the employees when I became a manager. Not to get all right-wing on everyone... but you quickly learn why a lot of people seem to be incapable of moving up the ladder. There are a lot of slacker-ass slackers out there.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2011, 04:40 PM

I worked for Target for about a month before I quit. I was doing restocking on the nightshift, which wasn't bad because I didn't have to deal with customers. Then they called me at 7 AM (I was about to go to bed) telling me I need to start coming in on the day shift starting that same day. So I worked a double shift and was asleep on my feet for most of the afternoon. Worked the day shift for 3 days, then they called me at 8 PM and told me they wanted me on nightshift because none of their sh*t was getting faced and shelved. I did one more double shift, then quit.

I don't know why it was so funny (probably cuz I was so tired), but when I called in telling them that I quit and wasn't going to come in any more, the lady on the phone said, "Bill will get mad if you don't come in." Uh, ok.

hart
Senior User
Sep 26, 2011, 07:14 PM

(sticks fingers in ears and yells "I'm not listening!!")

I'm actually waiting on tenterhooks for a call back from Apple. I went to the first stage of interviews for the Apple store and am keeping my fingers crossed.

So if (when!) I get that second interview I'll be all over the wise advice of the MacNN community

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2011, 02:22 AM

I have my first ever interview for a job (never worked long story) I am 33 and I have the Apple group Interview this weekend! I hope they are open to hiring disabled employees.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

hayesk
Sep 27, 2011, 12:20 PM

Coming from the customer side, I don't want fake enthusiasm like at the Disney store, but I do expect the retail clerk to actually want to help me. In return, I will be polite to you and not make unreasonable demands.

I also expect you to admit when you don't know the answer to a question I ask. I recently needed to buy a USB stick at Staples. I asked the clerk to show me one that had fast flash ram. He responded with "well it all depends on the speed of your frontside bus." Dude, just say you don't know instead of trying to confuse me with irrelevant jargon. I know very well what a frontside bus is and why it is irrelevant.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2011, 04:48 PM

Well if Apple allows me this opportunity to work for their retail stores, I will absolutely tell a customer if I don't know the answer.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules