Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screen sharing over firewire

Screen sharing over firewire
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2011, 11:21 PM

I'd like to control my iMac running 10.4.8 with my MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.2. It seems this sure be dead easy but I cannot make it work. They are connected by Firewire cable, both recognize that they are. But the Lion machine doesn't see the Tiger machine even though I've checked allow Remote Desktop Connection on it. Any tricks or secrets that I'm missing? I'd like to do it as "directly" as possible without installing additional software on each machine.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 02:53 AM

I think you're going to need ethernet to do it. I use it between my MDD G4 and Mac Pro 1,1 via an Airport Extreme and it works fine. Is the screensharing button available when you goto your iMac?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

P
Nov 2, 2011, 08:16 AM

Silly question, but...you have enabled TCP/IP networking on both machines, right?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Silly question, but...you have enabled TCP/IP networking on both machines, right?
Under SystemPreferences,Networking,Firewire :
Both machines have:
Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
DHCP Client IP: Blank

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 10:23 AM

Thats a no then. You need to configure TCP/IP firewire in order to make screen sharing work. You'll need to set the IP addresses and subnet masks manually.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 2, 2011, 12:33 PM

Yes, exactly. You have no DHCP server running on the subnet (the subnet here is your two machines), so disable DHCP and set it up manually. For example: Machine one has IP-address 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway and DHCP empty. Machine two has IP-address 192.168.1.2 and the rest empty. That should do it, and if Bonjour won't pick it up, use Connect to Server in Finder with the IP-address directly.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks P and War-a-s . After a few false starts I got it working perfectly thanks to your help. The only quirky part was that I had to enable access by the Apple Remote Desktop program even though I wasn't using it. A few false tries to figure that out. Probably because I am using 10.4 on the machine. I could move up to Leopard but then one piece of software that I occasionally use doesn't work--but I may eventually go that route. Now that Lion works within Parallels its a pity that one can't get Leopard to work there as well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 05:40 PM

Why not use ethernet?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why not use ethernet?
Sometimes I have the ethernet port tied up. Shouldn't Firewire be as fast?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 11:27 PM

No, but the difference isn't significant for your use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules