Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where do I put jEdit? Or any other programs I installed?

Where do I put jEdit? Or any other programs I installed?
sarahmacbook7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 02:12 PM

Hi! Obviously I'm an Apple OS newbie.
I installed a few applications and it was no problem because I was told to drag the icon to the Applications folder (that was way neat!!).. but with other programs, how do I do that?? It doesn't pop up any instructions like that.

For example jEdit. I downloaded and installed it and it makes this drive or whatever icon that is and it says jEdit. if I double click on it, it opens the jEdit application and it goes to my dock. I opted to keep it in dock because it's a program I'll use frequently (I'm studying Web Development). Now my concern is, what do I do with the jEdit icon that is on the desktop? I think it will disappear once I shut down my macbook. Do I have to move it to a folder?? To the applications folder? Or should I leave it alone??

Thanks!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sarahmacbook7 View Post
I downloaded and installed it and it makes this drive or whatever icon that is and it says jEdit.
That icon you drag into the Applications folder. Then you eject the white drive and trash the .dmg file.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 03:05 PM

The application is distributed on a disk image, which is basically a file that makes that pretend disk you saw. You can drag the jEdit application from that disk into your Applications folder and then toss the disk image.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sarahmacbook7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 03:52 PM

Hey! Thanks Chuckit! It worked!

TETENAL, I did drag the white disk but it only created a shortcut. Thanks anyway!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2007, 03:54 PM

I meant the application icon, not the white disk itself. Thankfully Chuckit was able to explain this better!

Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 01:44 AM

You do not have to put applications that come in .dmg files into the Applications directory. You can put them wherever you like. I run my added applications from my home directory, where I created an Applications directory with different categories of subdirectories.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 01:53 AM

You don't have to, but there's little advantage to not doing it either.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules