Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official TiBook users PICTURE THREAD!

Official TiBook users PICTURE THREAD!
Circa
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 01:15 AM

Ok folks here it is a chance to showcase your machine, I know there are alot of owners out there. But most of the time there aren't enough pictures shown. It would be cool to see pictures of peoples TiBooks rather than always apple.com's photoshop enhanced pics. So everyone lets get to it this is gonna be a hot thread so post away!!

-Circa

------------------
-Circa just posted here but now he is gone.
Circa

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2001, 02:28 AM

Man I REALLY need to buy a digital camera!

I have an idea maybe I'll scan it!

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Circa:
Ok folks here it is a chance to showcase your machine, I know there are alot of owners out there. But most of the time there aren't enough pictures shown. It would be cool to see pictures of peoples TiBooks rather than always apple.com's photoshop enhanced pics. So everyone lets get to it this is gonna be a hot thread so post away!!

-Circa
Practice what you preach man, where's yours?

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2001, 06:56 AM

Yeah, come on guys! Let's all send in pictures of the same, damn identical PowerBook. What fun!

I pity tha fool.

Misha
Professional Poster
May 11, 2001, 10:01 AM

Um, enjoy? I just snapped that now. And let's keep these 500 pixels wide or less...

PowerBookDude
May 11, 2001, 11:05 AM

Misha, you moved around things on your desktop? Huh?

I see you moved one or both of your towers on to your desk.

Do you think now you could take a picture of your whole (changed) setup? P-p-p-p-p-p-please?

PBDude

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 11, 2001, 12:07 PM

About Apple's pictures: they're likely not Photoshop enhanced -- they might be 3D rendered images, not actual photographs at all! That's how they can get them to spin around, and open and close the lid without anyone touching it, and without using Claymation-like animation techniques. Apple's PR site used to list "product photography" for some products, and "product images" for others (right now, they all say "photography").

tooki, who doesn't have a TiBook to show off, and whose room is much too messy to show off anyway

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2001, 12:38 PM

Misha,

Where'd you get the desktop shot. Looks like Mercator or Hondius (Blau?). I'd love to find a good site for digitized shots of antique maps, got a link or two??

catman

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
Misha,

Where'd you get the desktop shot. Looks like Mercator or Hondius (Blau?). I'd love to find a good site for digitized shots of antique maps, got a link or two??

catman
Hi Dr Catman,

I found those a while back on some desktop pics site as well. I've got them all (there were a whole bunch of variations of them). If no one is able to provide you with a link, let me know and I'll try to figure out some way to send the dekstop pics to you - they're pretty cool, aren't they? Lately, I've just been using the Blue Tiles pict that comes with OS X (even though I only run OS 9.1) and love it a lot.

Kestral

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 02:09 PM

Misha, nice pict - I was wondering, which digital camera do you have?

PowerBookDude
May 11, 2001, 03:43 PM

What is that drink by the Ti?

PBDude

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2001, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the offer Kestrel. Btw do we know each other, I'm thinkin' you must be Dr. W. or otherwise you wouldn't know my credentials . If that's the case then gettin' the pics shouldn't be much of a problem. Otherwise you could email me at [email protected]
TIA

catman

P.S. Or I suppose you might just remember me from ehmac.

[This message has been edited by mycatsnameis (edited 05-11-2001).]

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by mycatsnameis:
Thanks for the offer Kestrel. Btw do we know each other, I'm thinkin' you must be Dr. W. or otherwise you wouldn't know my credentials . If that's the case then gettin' the pics shouldn't be much of a problem. Otherwise you could email me at [email protected]
TIA

catman

P.S. Or I suppose you might just remember me from ehmac.
Hi Catman,

I sent the picts to your email address - the stuffed archive was just under 2 megs. Your guessed right, we used to post on EhMac.com together (shortly afterwhich, it dotbombed).

Kestral

Kestral
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 04:44 PM

Whoops, tried to send it to you but the file was too big. But luckily, I found the link so you can download them:
http://155.135.31.113/desktops/world_maps.html

acadian
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 05:00 PM

Here she is, at rest in her humble abode.

people ruin everything....

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2001, 05:00 PM

Thanks K! Good link (now if only I could get them 1152x768 ).

Cheers

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 07:07 PM

Ya Misha and acadian you both have some really good cameras, the image quality is unsurpassed. Very nice indeed.. what kind of cameras are they I would be interested in knowing.

And to Kestral I am looking into one soon, is there a problem with me making this thread and not having one myself? I have a lombard 333 right now which is good but I am considering upgrading to the TiBooks or a future revision.

Anyway so far so good, lets see more this is great!

------------------
Circa

acadian
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 07:20 PM

Camera is a Canon S-100 on low res (640x480)

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 07:38 PM

Hey acadian this may sound off the wall but is that a minidisc case you have behind your TiBook? Cause I have one that is identical to it, I own the Sony mz-r90 if you know much about the portable recorders.

Circa

TTzz
May 11, 2001, 08:45 PM

Hey Misha,

Your desktop icons seem to be presented as a list. How did you do that? The option is greyed on my OS9.1!!

Cool setup!

acadian
Senior User
May 11, 2001, 10:23 PM

Circa;

Yes, I own the Sony MZR-55 and I think it's a great little machine (the TiBook of the minidisk world!) yet, unlike the Ti Book, I've gone through 3 of the rechargeable batteries from Sony. I wonder if the Vaio has the same problem, lol. Besides, the minidisk player matches the TiBook perfectly!

TiG4
Forum Regular
May 11, 2001, 10:28 PM

Hi all,

Some humble pix: http://homepage.mac.com/gilbertchong/

------------------
Gilbert
- It's not madam that they want, it's her car -
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 12:45 AM

The Titanium PowerBook is absolutely stunning. It looks like a piece of art, not like a computer. Stunning.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2001, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by TTzz:
Hey Misha,

Your desktop icons seem to be presented as a list. How did you do that? The option is greyed on my OS9.1!!

Cool setup!
That wasn't list mode. That was view "as Icons" with the icon size in "View Options�" set to small (16x16). I used to do that too since my desktop got so messy, new icons were piling up in the top right corner. =)

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 02:25 AM

Ya acadian when I bought my portable recorder I wanted the worlds smallest one I could get. So I ordered it for Japan threw a company in the states. The company was supreme video...

But ya minidisc is the only way to fly guys!

TiG4 I have seen your site before, very nice. How is dvd playback on that thing?

BTW lets get more pics on here I know there are many more TiBook owners out there!!
Circa

raz303
May 12, 2001, 07:51 AM

TiG4
Nice pics, I especially like how the clock in 00.jpeg looks sooo last millenium compared to what's underneath ; )

unknown
May 12, 2001, 09:46 AM

acadian

Can I ask you where you got your southpark desktop picture , is there a web site it can be downloaded from , or is it home grown.

Thanks

acadian
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 10:34 AM

The Southpark pics are from www.sweeet.com, check it out. They have hundreds of stunning 3D original Southpark desktop pics.

TiG4
Forum Regular
May 12, 2001, 11:53 AM

raz303 and Circa,

thanks for the compliment.
not much of a website but the pictures look cool

Circa, since I bought the powerbook from Singapore, I could only play DVD Region Code 3
This sucks as I have been transferred to New Orleans and now there is more variety to the DVD selection here but I am unable to play any of them.

Otherwise, the DVD playback is great... works wonders with the Soundsticks

Let's see more Ti Powerbook pix!

------------------
Gilbert
Gil

uknown
May 12, 2001, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the web site for the southpark desktop pictures

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 04:42 PM

acadian I am curious to how you go that desktop picture from www.sweeet.com in the proper rez for your powerbook. I forget what the rez is in on it buts its not 1024x768. Did you make some adjustments to it yourself or... well I am just confused.

How did you do it?
Circa

TiG4
Forum Regular
May 12, 2001, 05:30 PM

downloaded a few 1024x768 sized wallpapers from www.sweeet.com and it resizes itself to 1152x768 automatically

------------------
Gilbert
Gil

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 05:55 PM

Oh so that is how it works? Hmm cool...

Hey do any of you Tibook owners use icq? I myself use it, and it would be great to talk to some fellow Tibooks owners. You could post your numbers here or send them via email to me: [email protected]

Thanks so much,
Circa

------------------
Circa

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 08:34 PM

Come on folks there should be more people here with pictures.. 2 TiBooks so far lets make it like 10 or something, I just know there are more people.

------------------
Circa

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 03:46 AM

raz303
May 13, 2001, 04:15 AM

At first I almost agreed with BigMark but obviously this thread is useful, even if only to exchange wallpaper and peripherals tips. I would post pict of Mr.500 and Mrs 400 but I'm not sure anyone would get delirious over my 1 megapixel camera.
TiG4, there are solutions for your Region coding problems but search for the right thread and ASK someone more expert than me. It's not for novices. One solution I came across on a Dutch site involves "flashing" the dvd drive with the appropriate software. I haven't done it yet so please refer to someone of knowledge so u won't crap your drive.
BTW, it's illegal but in the name of fair use (especially for international suckers like us) f*#k MPAA and Jack Valenti.

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 01:48 PM

Hey cool another pictures how nice, you see folks this thread is useful after all
Circa

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2001, 03:36 PM

You should be able to change the region code merely by inserting a Region 1 disc and responding in the affirmative when asked whether you wish to change the region.

tooki

TiG4
Forum Regular
May 13, 2001, 06:59 PM

(kinda out of topic, will keep this short)
raz303
i have done a little research on the DVD playback limitation and it does involve a substantial amount of risk, so I'll keep it that way for now.

tooki,
apple DVD player never prompted me for a "change of region code confirmation". it just stopped reading non-Code 3 DVDs.

------------------
Gilbert
Gil

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2001, 07:04 PM

My humble set up

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 07:30 PM

Ya I just looked at this picture in the other thread I made about digital cameras. Oh god that Tibook looks great not to mention the rest of the setup. Bugs Bunny tell me what kind of lcd display do you have running on your G4 is that a samsung? And what is the rez on that thing it looks as if it is a 1280x1210.

Very nice that picture made my day,
Circa
Circa

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 07:37 PM

Hey just noticed bugs has some more pics at this site here of his TiBook..
http://home.rochester.rr.com/macguy

Very nice,
Circa

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 08:59 PM

Wow, the trend I've noticed so far is not ONE of these Ti Books is running OS X - very interesting.... I guess we all prefer full functionality of our volume keys

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 09:06 PM

Ya I have noticed this as well, I mean our new operating system and all and nobody here is taking advantage of it yet. I know myself I won't be for a while, I am gonna wait until they fix some things up. Usb audio, no dvd player, oh god browsers are slow. Its gonna be a while.
Circa

Misha
Professional Poster
May 13, 2001, 10:30 PM

The desktop picture I made myself from a series of 6 latin maps I found on some server... they should be on MacDesktops soon, and are of higher quality than those at mandolux (they are not identical, either).

The drink is Whoop Ass, from Jones Soda. It's like Red Bull, but better. And it let's you literally open up a can...

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2001, 10:52 PM

OK, let's have a new thread, telling us all how long you took to get all the junk off your desk, and to re-position everything before you took the pictures of 'your setup'

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 10:58 PM

BigMark what is wrong with his setup it is killer! And what makes you think he has alot of junk on his desk? I happen to be very organized and don't have garbage all over the place like other people I know.

Oh well I like it and I can't wait until he is back to respond to some of my questions. Its the best pic I have seen in a while!
Circa

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2001, 11:00 PM

sorry for being cynical the whole time, but I have to laugh because I know full well from my own experience that no one who sits in front of a computer has a spotless desk, such as those depicted above.

C'mon fellas, where are those cans of Jolt Cola, and Star Wars figures you've all hidden away?
Now, I'm no Comic Store Owner (Simpsons), but I do know the requisite desktop paraphenalia for any discerning coder.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2001, 11:03 PM

Bugs Bunny tell me what kind of lcd display do you have running on your G4 is that a samsung? And what is the rez on that thing it looks as if it is a 1280x1210.
Yes, it's a Samsung 770TFT 17" LCD. It's running its native resolution, 1280x1024.

OK, let's have a new thread, telling us all how long you took to get all the junk off your desk, and to re-position everything before you took the pictures of 'your setup'
Sorry guy, my desk always looks like that, I'm a neat freak

------------------
Ti/500/512/20
G4/533/512/40

Circa  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 11:22 PM

Hey bugs don't let that guy get to you, I am like that too. If fact I may consider posting my pic here but then I would be going against the thread its a powerbook g3.

Bugs just wondering you have a killer setup what do you do for a living or on your computers?
Circa

Forum Links
Forum Rules