Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I promise... (2)

I promise... (2)
PowerBookDude
May 7, 2001, 10:06 PM

Misha I think it was very mean for you to close "I promise".

I'm trying to post less useless gardage. It is hard. I just want to post sometimes what I feel. And that is "lol ".

Is that so wrong?

If you think my posts are annoying go to the gundamforum.com

Some people have 4 huge image sigs.

(BTW this isn't just for Misha)

------------------
PBDude

On the 8th day God created Apple. On the 9th day God created the WozCam

[This message has been edited by PowerBookDude (edited 05-07-2001).]

Cipher13
May 7, 2001, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:
I'm trying to post useless gardage.
You're succeeding.

Misha closed it for a reason.

So leave it at that.

All that came out of that thread was 6 more useless posts under your name.

Cut the crap.

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-07-2001).]

jagga
Senior User
May 7, 2001, 10:11 PM

ok, powerbookdude; what was cute has turned into annoying. I second Cipher's request and ask you to "cut the crap already".

jagga

------------------
Check out some screenshots here
My Server

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 10:12 PM

Count me in.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 11:06 PM

I agree with Cipher. It is becoming a little irritating.

------------------

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 12:23 AM

PBDude..you're one of the specific reasons that I get annoyed with these boards. Please stop.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2001, 12:33 AM

I believe Misha has warned PBD and if he needs to take further action then he will.

PBD: I suggest you stop pressing Misha's buttons or you're suddenly going to lose all of those posts you're working so hard on.

I really don't care, but apparently a lot of others do. Maybe it's time to satisfy them and just settle.

------------------

malson
Senior User
May 8, 2001, 01:36 AM

I must say that this whole discussion has become stupid and pointless. PBDude, you are acting quite childish. I know you're young but there is a limit to the amount of pushing you can get away with. I'm sure that you can't just open your mouth and makepointless little comments after everything a teacher says to you. Maybe you should treat these forums the same way. LOL is not a valid comment. Who really cares if you thing something is funny? I don't, UNLESS you actually take the time to tell us why. Unfortunately, you can't do that. Until you mature a lot in your decision to post or not, please restrain yourself. I would totally understand if Misha reduced your post count or deleted your posts. Sorry, but that's the way it works when you can't control yourself.

Just as an interesting side note since I like playing with the numbers so much, if you compare the average number of posts per day of PBDude and Cipher, Cipher holds an 18 posts to 16 posts edge over PBDude. However, in Cipher's defense, his posts are 1000% more informative and helpful. There is some actual thought put into them. PBDude, look and learn

[This message has been edited by malson (edited 05-08-2001).]
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

C-Eye
Forum Regular
May 8, 2001, 01:42 AM

Guys, if under your name it says "Addicted to MacNN" - you probably are. We've all come together to let you know that you have a problem, and we want to help...

Time for MacNN de-tox...

------------------

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 05:21 AM

Its true

Cipher13

------------------

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 07:07 AM

I agree with everyone here. I just hope scaught doesn't get into this thread, he may go nuts
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

nealconner
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 07:27 AM

This isn't about useless posts, you can skip over those. You don't have to read them. This is about superficial post counts. I seen too many topics about this, I'd like not to see one again.

------------------
MAIL: [email protected]
AIM: Neal A Conner

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 08:01 AM

I guess this so many of you feel so stronly about this I will seriosly try better.

It is hard though, to do this. Most of the time in threads there is nothing more to post then a couple of words. In those couple of words it describes what I think/feel about a post or the topic.

One problem is befor I use to visit other forums too. Like OS X - Gen/PowerBook/PowerMac etc. And in those other forums 90 to 95% of time my posts were smart. They help someone. Now I pretty much just stay in the Lounge and post.

Thank you.

PBDude

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 08:03 AM

Forget.....

*sigh*

[This message has been edited by PowerBookDude (edited 05-08-2001).]

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 08:05 AM

Hey! I just thought of something. My above post is long and smart!!

PBDude
And you had to completely discredit with a useless post pointing it out, didn't you? Admittedly mine isn't much better, but how often do I do it?

Cipher13

------------------

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
And you had to completely discredit with a useless post pointing it out, didn't you?

Cipher13

I don't do anything right do I Cipher?

Huh?

------------------
PBDude

MacManMikeOSX
May 8, 2001, 08:13 AM

PBDude like i have said before dont take this. stick up for your self.

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 08:24 AM

Mike, shut up. Stop trying to cause problems. You know, I seriously think you and him may be one person. Heh.

PBD, just stop posting crap - and if you have something to say after you post? Use the EDIT BUTTON. Thats what its there for. I don't think Infopop put it there in order to make the forum look prettier

Cipher13

------------------

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2001, 08:29 AM

I believe I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see more substance in your posts PBDude!

In my opinion, I don't mind if posts in the lounge are a bit short and skinny. Although, they would be more fun to read if they expressed the posters clear opinion. Ambiguity is irritating.

I say don't give in PBDude. There is no one here who can dictate what you write. All they can do is show how shallow they are. 'Cuz it's like this: The things that irritate us the most simply reflect our own limitations.

In short, those who have been hardest on you for "pointless" posting recognize that trait in themselves!

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
stick up for your self.

I used too.

But to many people feel the same way about my posts. They hate them.

------------------
PBDude

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
The things that irritate us the most simply reflect our own limitations.
How poetic. I like it.

In short, those who have been hardest on you for "pointless" posting recognize that trait in themselves!
Uh... no... sorry.

PBDude, all we ask is you stop the short useless posts that are nothing more than "LOL ".

This isn't a chat room, and thats chat behaviour.

I don't want you to stop posting here - I just want more thought and content to go into each post.

Cipher13

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-08-2001).]

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 08:37 AM

PBDude, why don't you surprise us all and show some of your verbal genius ( in 25 words or more)?

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 08:43 AM

It seems no one has read this:

(I quote myself)

Most of the time in threads there is nothing more to post then a couple of words. In those couple of words it describes what I think/feel about a post or the topic.
------------------
PBDude

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 09:31 AM

PBD, just read more and laugh plenty.
Post less with more substance.

I've got my morning grins, off to work.

------------------

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 09:46 AM

Most of the time in threads there is nothing more to post then a couple of words. In those couple of words it describes what I think/feel about a post or the topic.

and all everyone is saying is for you to stop doing that. what you think/feel about the topic in the "oh thats funny LOL " way or whatever is completely irrelevant and annoying. do you post "wow, what great advice" to everyone who posts a helpful thing in the powerbook forums? your typical response of "LOL " is pretty much the same thing.

what you can contribute to the topic to help it grow is what a message board is about.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
"wow, what great advice" to everyone who posts a helpful thing in the powerbook forums?

First, scaught I must thank you for not going "nuts".

Second, no. I don't say "wow, what great advice". I DO help people in other forums. The problem is like I said is I just staying in the Lounge.

------------------
PBDude

zippy50
May 8, 2001, 10:28 AM

I have hesitated to get into this whole discussion -- the many times it has shown up in various formats. Fear of being branded an "ageist" "anti-youth" "too serious" "not knowing difference between the forums and the lounge" -- but I can only speak for myself when I say that if I consistently see a poster in the lounge (whoever that is) who posts nothing but smiley faces, I agrees, right ons endlessly I tend to ignore that same poster when I encounter them in one of the other forums. I know I am probably missing out on a lot of valuable information (because as I've said before the younger folks on here know a hell of a lot more than I do) but it is hard, for me, to make the switch over in mindset -- to see someone's name and not assume it will just be another smiley face, rather than valuable technical info. So I tend to skip right over the post -- or if I do read it, to do it with a skeptical bent.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 11:11 AM

This is god damn pathetic.

PBDude, have you completely missed the point of what everyone has told you? Or do you understand it and just not care? Do you just like to come off as an annoying, immature prick? After reading your posts in this thread, the former "I promise" thread, and the "how many posts does it take..." thread, I now seriously wonder about your mental health. Are you suffering some sort of clinical depression? Are you an egomaniac? Or do you just have no social life outside of these online bulletin boards? It seems to me that any character who could get so upset about how the members of some BB think about him must have serious issues outside the BB as well. Your constantly padding of your post count and making your "presence" known makes me wonder why you so desperately crave this attention. Obviously it's working, because you're getting one hell of a response.

My advice?
Don't respond.
Not to my post, not to anyone else's post here, and especially not to your own post.
Don't post back to me saying "I'm sorry" or "I didn't mean such-and-such". I don't want to hear it.

In this thread, every single post you've made reiterates exactly the same 'poor me' attitude and insists the same argument that "LOL " is a perfectly meaningful response. Well, guess what? Simple, one-word responses are not meaningful. Sure, they may make you feel good about yourself as the comic relief, but they do absolutely nothing to advance the discussion on these forums. Did it ever occur to you that senseless posts like yours (and by others) are at the root of the slow-downs and shut-downs we so frequently get at these boards? Sure, it may take just another couple seconds for a page to load because you post another smilie, but multiply that load by all the empty posts by you and others and then by the number of times those threads are accessed. That's a lot of unnecessary stress being put on the servers.

I normally do not condone flaming off in threads against one person or group of persons and would typically ignore a thread like this, but you seem to be a "special" case PowerBookDude. You've irked me and piqued my curiosity. Yes, this post is directed primarily directed at you, but it is as well meant for all the other members here who riddle these boards with pointless garbage. I know it'll never stop; I can't ask that. There'll always be some new kids trying to inflate their post count (and ego) with their smilies and LOL's. All I do ask from you is to be more considerate and to think before you post instead of clicking the Reply button at every chance to spout some mindless drivel.

If you want to be known around the forums, post something constructive. Yes, I'm sure you participate in some discussions where you may do just that, but the vast majority of your posts I have seen are junk. That doesn't make me think too highly of you. Like Cipher13 and so many others have said, it's the quality of your posts that make people respect you.

Okay, enough. I'm fed up with this and going back to bed...

[This message has been edited by starfleetX (edited 05-08-2001).]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

foobars
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 12:54 PM

I have an idea, how about from now on every post PBDude makes that is less than 100 words takes one away from his post count.

...or we could add a karma system. I love those...

[This message has been edited by foobars (edited 05-08-2001).]

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
I have an idea, how about from now on every post PBDude makes that is less than 100 words takes one away from his post count.

...or we could add a karma system. I love those...
No. No. No.

PBDude

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 01:52 PM

Isn't it obious the ignorant punk is just trying to get a rise out of everyone? I'll admit it's worked on me.... I cringe when I see your name in a thread PowerBook Dud.

I'd like to see his post count reset to zero. That might discourage him from continuing the onslaught of vomit-inducing crap coming from his computer. If not, IP ban him.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

[This message has been edited by murbot (edited 05-08-2001).]

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
Isn't it obious the ignorant punk is just trying to get a rise out of everyone? I'll admit it's worked on me.... I cringe when I see your name in a thread PowerBook Dud.

I'd like to see his post count reset to zero. That might discourage him from continuing the onslaught of vomit-inducing crap coming from his computer. If not, IP ban him.

I said I am going to be better!

Ok!?

Please I will.

Please?

Demonhood
Administrator
May 8, 2001, 03:16 PM

This thread is useless. Everyone has expressed their opinion, and PBDude will do what he will with the information. Now people are just insulting one another.

This thread should be closed.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
May 8, 2001, 03:25 PM

This is why the post count should just be removed...
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Now people are just insulting one another.
Yeah. Me.

I wish everybody would stop yelling at me. Even with this very post I am getting better.

PBDude

------------------
PBDude

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
This thread is useless. Everyone has expressed their opinion, and PBDude will do what he will with the information. Now people are just insulting one another.

This thread should be closed.
youre the one with the blue stars, close it already.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
youre the one with the blue stars, close it already.

I don't he can close a thread in the Lounge.

Or any other forum besides Graphics/Illustration.

------------------
PBDude

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 04:08 PM

If it makes you feel any better, PB Dude, I like to see you around. Please, don't take it to heart when I tease you a bit... it's all in good fun. How 'bout getting back in the other threads, too, though? I, for one, will take all the advice I can get, and I'd love to see you spreading those useful intelligent posts around! Keep smiliin'. just tell us why you're doin' it!!

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
If it makes you feel any better, PB Dude, I like to see you around. Please, don't take it to heart when I tease you a bit... it's all in good fun. How 'bout getting back in the other threads, too, though? I, for one, will take all the advice I can get, and I'd love to see you spreading those useful intelligent posts around! Keep smiliin'. just tell us why you're doin' it!!

Thanks. That makes me feel good.

Especially coming from a FEmale.

But, in all seriosly. What you said made me feel really good. Thank you!

------------------
PBDude

MacManMikeOSX
May 8, 2001, 04:33 PM

cheerios i think we should start a PBDude protection club.What do you think PBDude?

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 04:47 PM

cheerios i think we should start a PBDude protection club.What do you think PBDude?

Sounds great to me! Seriously I think it is a AWESOME idea.

Thanks!

------------------
PBDude

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 04:48 PM

Wait a minute... I'm not saying that if he's being obnoxious, people shouldn't be able to tell him so...I'm just saying I enjoy having him around. Welcome PB Dude! Us geeks gotta stick together!

MacMan, you're just stirring up trouble, sayin' that... think before you post, dude. You're makin' things worse, by tellin' PB Dude to get mad, because people are asking him to put content in his posts. Relax, we're not out to get you younger dudes, I enjoy havin' y'all around! Just keep postin' thought out opinions and good advice, and your name will carry just as much weight as anyone else's.

------------------

--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 04:53 PM

Um...what does this "protection club" do exactly?

------------------

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
Um...what does this "protection club" do exactly?
Good question... wish I knew what it was that MacMan was voulenteering me for!!!

------------------

--Indigo Girls

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 05:01 PM

It seems to me that PBD is trying to say that he took the advice that people had given him and just wanted to let everyone know. OK, so it probably wasn't the best idea to start a new thread about it, but that's just youthful exuberance (I'm assuming you are young because several people mentioned it and you didn't respond against it.) What bothers me, and why I'm posting, is that several people immediately took offensive and started attacking Mr. Dude. Why has it made so many mad that he has tried to apologize for his previous behavior? Is it that today everyone decided, "PowerBookDude has posted another one, lets get him." So I would just like to say, Thanks for thinking about the rest of us PBD, I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Cheers!

------------------
10:00 conoc� a Apple. 10:30 trabaj� con Apple. Apple Computer�

[This message has been edited by MacmanX (edited 05-08-2001).]
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

MacManMikeOSX
May 8, 2001, 05:04 PM

PBDude doesnt know how to stick up for him self. so people should help him.

------------------
stupid age bigots'
Mike

PowerBookDude  (op)
May 8, 2001, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
Good question... wish I knew what it was that MacMan was voulenteering me for!!!

I think I should of asked what is does before I said it was a good idea.

I would think the purpose would to flame the flamer that flamed me.

I dunno.

You know *blushes* cheerios I would like your help with protecion idea.

From this day forward! We are the PBDude Movement! (I think I said that right.)

------------------
PBDude

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 05:21 PM

MacmanX - the problem is, he apologises EVERY TIME he does something wrong.

MacMikeManOSX or whatever the hell your name is, if you do not stop trying to instigate flame wars, then you're asking for it.

DO NOT try to turn threads into flames. You already tried to flame me and you lost, would you like to try it again? IM me and I'll tell you exactly why you should shut your mouth, ok?

PowerBookDude, I don't want to see you leave, but if you keep posting such voluminous crap as you are STILL DOING I can just see Misha BANNING YOU, and perhaps even deleting your account along with your post count if we're lucky.

The best way to begin to stop the garbage is to NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD AGAIN, ok?

I don't wanna hear another "ooh, somebody help me" or "please please please don't delete my post count I'll be good " or anything else.

That sound fair enough to you?

I didn't want to be so rough but you just DON'T GET THE HINT.

HINT, HINT > cut the crap < HINT, HINT

Cipher13

------------------

Misha
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 05:23 PM

How about from this day forward there will be no more crap posts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules