Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vote: Should non-registered users be allowed to Post?

Vote: Should non-registered users be allowed to Post?
Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2001, 11:16 PM

I vote NO.

mindwaves
May 7, 2001, 11:21 PM

No in this forum; however, in the OS X general discussion forum, some non-registered posters convey important information so for those kinds of forums, then yes!

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 11:22 PM

I don't see why they dont just register. It is a lot easier.

------------------

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 11:23 PM

I say no, I mean what does it take to register to post forums? Come on, it's free, for cryin out loud.

Kestral
Senior User
May 7, 2001, 11:31 PM

NO. Anyone who can't put their name behind their words has no right to speak, and is not worth listening to.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2001, 11:31 PM

I vote Yes.

I lurked for a long time before I registered. Some people like me want to ramp up to it.

I really don't see where the "problem" is with unregistered comments.

T

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2001, 11:33 PM

Sure, they should be allowed to post.

Why be forum nazis about it?
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Cipher13
May 7, 2001, 11:35 PM

No. They use their unregistered status like a mask of immunity and therefore there are no consequences to them for flaming or giving false information.

But a lot of traffic is unregistered users...

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Bugs Bunny  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2001, 11:43 PM

No. They use their unregistered status like a mask of immunity and therefore there are no consequences to them for flaming or giving false information.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And lurking, and reading, and getting a feel for what's going on is one thing, but if you've got a contribution, we need a name with that face

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2001, 11:48 PM

Who cares if the odd person posts total BS? I mean, its not like MacNN is the New York Times. And I've seen registered users in the OS X forum post junk like: "try rm -R /, its real fun!"

Its not like being registered means responsible or reasonable, or even accountable, so why impose that?

------------------
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2001, 11:56 PM

Non-accountability because you're not registered?

Nah, I don't see it that way. You can usually sniff out the BS comments from the legitimate comments. Anyone who posts without being registered is "on probation" in my mind anyway, and if they're posting junk, it's simple to ignore.

As for flaming, it doesn't work if it's goes ignored. So we can ignore it.

An open forum, where anyone can post, allows for a greater chance that a question is answered. For instance, if someone purusing the forums for the answer to a question saw something they could comment on, they may well be dissuaded from sharing their opinion if they have to register.

By excluding people who don't register, you also exclude people who just hate sharing any personal information with this "who knows what its recording" MacNN database. Perhaps they're paranoid, sure, but when I have a question, I still want to cast the net as wide as possible -- and I can sort the wheat from the chaff, registered or not.

T

[edited for clarity (yeah I know, could use some more)]

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited 05-07-2001).]

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 12:06 AM

How is being registered more accountable? You're still totally anonymous, unless you choose not to be. (Oops, better go change my profile now ).

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
How is being registered more accountable? You're still totally anonymous, unless you choose not to be. (Oops, better go change my profile now ).
Cause if someone sees an unregistered user, they will take their post with a grain of salt.

If someone sees a user with 600 posts, and who seems to post intelligently, they'll take that advice more seriously and be more trusting with it.

Hm... I'm just thinking back to the newbie/keyboard/Ca$h incident...

Cipher13

------------------

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2001, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Cause if someone sees an unregistered user, they will take their post with a grain of salt.

If someone sees a user with 600 posts, and who seems to post intelligently, they'll take that advice more seriously and be more trusting with it.

Hm... I'm just thinking back to the newbie/keyboard/Ca$h incident...

Cipher13
Everyone has the right to take anyone's post with a grain of salt. That's the small price for being unregistered. If someone posts intelligently, they have every right to be listened to as you do, Ciph. Maybe some will disregard it because of a simple status, but I, for one, read the post before passing judgement on it's content or the credibility of the author.

I vote yes. If someone finds it too hard to have a password, then so be it. They run the risk of instant dismissal by some readers, but I think the majority will still look into what the post says.

------------------

ANGEL SUN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2001, 12:21 AM

Well said SillyMonk.

What personal information is "directly" shared? You are asked to provided a user/login and an email address to receive your password. Unless you provide the email address your ISP has given you, your anonymity is generally secure. For the those who are suspicious of all things, surfing via proxy is another option.

------------------
Give me your arm and close you eyes
Give me your arm and close you eyes

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Everyone has the right to take anyone's post with a grain of salt. That's the small price for being unregistered. If someone posts intelligently, they have every right to be listened to as you do, Ciph. Maybe some will disregard it because of a simple status, but I, for one, read the post before passing judgement on it's content or the credibility of the author.

I vote yes. If someone finds it too hard to have a password, then so be it. They run the risk of instant dismissal by some readers, but I think the majority will still look into what the post says.
Hey, I didn't say I disregarded them - I don't. I've seen many very contributive unregistered posts - I'm talking about new users etc.
Advice coming from a "member" seems to be more assuring, know what I mean?

I treat everybodies posts equally - until I've read them, thats when the decision gets made.

Cipher13

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 05-08-2001).]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2001, 12:38 AM

Cipher13 sez:
Advice coming from a "member" seems to be more assuring, know what I mean?
It may seem that way, but it's not always the case.

I see what you're saying though. I know more now than I did a few months ago. With "age" comes wisdom, I guess.

I just don't think the ability to post should be taken from unregistered users. That's what this thread is about, and that's my vote.

------------------

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2001, 12:48 AM

Now if this isn't one of the best reasons to keep unregistered users around, I don't know what is.

Check out one of the very last posts (as of right now). Schmoo has either written, or found a script that will "windowshade" the Finder windows. I'm sure with a bit of modification it could do exactly what people want from windowshade.

------------------

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 8, 2001, 12:48 AM

I say no as well... I was a 'lurker' for a while, and I READ and LEARNED, and when I felt it was time to POST, I registered.. it's easy, free, and makes you really cool amongst your peers... enjoy

drew

------------------
ice

JLannoo
May 8, 2001, 01:04 AM

I say no to anon posting. It just makes it easy for troublemakers, as they feel there are less repercussions for their actions.

------------------
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot

G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro

Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS
-JLannoo
TiVo Zealot
G4 Cube 450
448MB RAGE 128 Pro
Athlon ThunderBird 800
256MB GeForce 2 GTS

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 01:10 AM

Now if this isn't one of the best reasons to keep unregistered users around, I don't know what is.

Check out one of the very last posts (as of right now). Schmoo has either written, or found a script that will "windowshade" the Finder windows. I'm sure with a bit of modification it could do exactly what people want from windowshade.
Yes, but unfortunately, I could show many more incidents where unregistered users were detrimental rather than contributive...

Cipher13

------------------

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
I say no as well... I was a 'lurker' for a while, and I READ and LEARNED, and when I felt it was time to POST, I registered.. it's easy, free, and makes you really cool amongst your peers... enjoy

So was I.

I just don't see the problem in registering, ohh I have to remember a password, or give up my e-mail. Well, most browers today will offer to save that password, and I just don't buy the arguemtn that they are hard to remember. As for the e-mail, just make one up at yahoo or something, it's not that hard, and there is no way anyone could get personal information out of that.

I believe the main point of this tread is that any registered user can log in as an unregistered and post flames or whatnot then return without tarnishing their reputation.

For reasons like this I vote no.

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tie
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 01:13 AM

YES. It's so much nicer for everyone when it's easy to post. The community will attract more people (who will eventually register) and everyone will gain.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 01:50 AM

I think that was a great post, but would it be so hard to register that this person would be scared away?
Also, I agree with Cipher that, that is one of the very few good posts done by unregistered people. Most of the tiem it is simply flame bait.

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

krove
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 02:22 AM

I'd have to say no on the same reason cipher stated. Unregistered users, although @ times insightful, can hide behind their anonymity to say whatever they please. In addition, it must be more difficult on the moderators to control their postings (if bad, flaming, etc). How hard is it to register?

The worst part is the double, triple, and even the occasional quadruple posting that cannot be editted to reflect such.

------------------

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:

I believe the main point of this tread is that any registered user can log in as an unregistered and post flames or whatnot then return without tarnishing their reputation.

You know I never thought of that, I wonder if anybody has. Too much bother anyway.
I vote yes, they contribute (script example). I haven't been around that long but this is a very decent forum, of course there is the odd jerk you run into. Just like real life, I can live with that.

------------------

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 02:35 AM

Well, if they have something useful to say, why not let them. But if they want to flame someone anonymously, then no. OK, so that really wasn't a vote...

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 02:46 AM

Well, if they have something useful to say, why not let them. But if they want to flame someone anonymously, then no. OK, so that really wasn't a vote...

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

Asimuth
May 8, 2001, 04:10 AM

Uhmm... From upstate New York where concealed handguns are legal you are worried about the bonafides of non-registered news group posters...

I vote Yes. But if I was unregistered and shy I guess I'd just go away as this does not seem like a very friendly forum.

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Asimuth:
Uhmm... From upstate New York where concealed handguns are legal you are worried about the bonafides of non-registered news group posters...

I vote Yes. But if I was unregistered and shy I guess I'd just go away as this does not seem like a very friendly forum.
What makes you say that?
We're trying to make it MORE friendly by cutting back on trolls and flamers...

Cipher13

------------------

VRL
Senior User
May 8, 2001, 05:01 AM

Simple solution: Put a big, red flame next to all unregistered posts
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 05:04 AM

When I first saw the thread topic, my instinct was to say yes... I lurked around for a while before I got brave enough to speak up, and my first post was unregistered. After that, I registered, so I could keep track of my posts, and have the ability to go back and fix all the typos.

So, I'm readin' down the thread, and y'all make a lot of good points about how anonymity gives people the ability to make a lot of innane posts with no point. Not that registered users don't do that too... Cough(PBDude!!)cough... sorry dude, couldn't resist... but at least they are held accountable for what they say, and if it's innacurate, than people know to watch out for those in later threads.

Plus, I know what people's personalities are gonna be like, by who they are. I know Cipher's gonna tell me that OS X is missing alot, and don't buy a Cube. I know PBDude is gonna tease me alittle when I say I'm an idiot. I like having a personality, to go with everyone.

So, no, I don't think unregistered people should be able to post. Dunno... it's not that hard to register. :/

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls

[This message has been edited by cheerios (edited 05-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cheerios (edited 05-08-2001).]
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

eep!
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:
I registered.. it's easy, free, and makes you really cool amongst your peers... enjoy
Makes you cool?

not if you register with a dumbass name like 'eep!' I feel like a d*ck everytime I have to type in my user name

d'oh! I forgot to say: let the cowards post (I think I did, don't remember...)

[This message has been edited by eep! (edited 05-08-2001).]

Cipher13
May 8, 2001, 06:35 AM

Why man? I think its one of the coolest usernames I've seen!

No joke...

Cipher13

------------------

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 06:41 AM

I lurked for a while as well, seeing if it was covering the topics i was interested in.
I believe that we should keep the right for unregistered users posting, though perhaps with a limited amount of space, and simple plain text comments.
There are a lot unregistered users browsing the boards,
e.g. Dogma, Cipher13, ddregs, CyberGreg, Cornelius, Jose, MikeM32, eep!, l'ignorante, and 27 guests
and whilst most will not even post, many will, and if they feel that they're comments are not wanted if they're not a member, then surely that appears to be a pretty unfriendly place.
Did anyone ever see 'Heathers'?

------------------
"If you can't stand the flames, get out of the bulletin board!"
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2001, 08:15 AM

I say no.

BTW, I thin those who are registered should give more information about themselves. Say where you are from, state your email, etc. It adds depth.

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 08:33 AM

Yes. (not that it's our call, regardless)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 09:09 AM

No.
Just was at a thread, no-one was registered and it was FULL of BSers.
Let 'em reply to articles, but keep 'em outta the fora.

my 2�

------------------

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 09:16 AM

NO (check out what Cipher13 said.)
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

zippy50
May 8, 2001, 09:54 AM

there's a difference between browsing and posting. When I'm at the office (where I must use a PC -- but that's another issue), I show up as a visitor, but then if I want to reply to something, I just have to enter the username and password. Not a big deal -- but I think seeing the number of guests on-line at any point is not a clear indication of actual members versus guests reading.

I'm having trouble deciding about the registered/non-registered posters. They certainly sometimes contribute valuable information -- but I do like the ability to know who is posting. Not that you can always judge the validity of the info that way -- but you can recognize a pattern in a person's posting and make a more informed judgement about the value of the info offered.

Bugs Bunny  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 02:46 PM

foobars
Mac Elite
May 8, 2001, 02:57 PM

Of course unregestered users should be able to post!

Regestering to do anything on the internet is a bitch. Plus if an unregestered user says something offensive or just plain wrong he is the first to be torn apart!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2001, 03:53 PM

i dont think some of the registered users should be allowed to post, but thats another story.

unregistered users should be able to post. just not in the lounge, which is the policy right now anyway.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2001, 05:12 PM

Yeah sure, the more insight the better. If registering was to be mandated I bet alot less would get solved around here (If The Lounge didn't exsist I bet alot more would get done too but o well).

<Brushes real work aside and clicks deeper into the lounge>

------------------

Bugs Bunny  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 05:21 PM

unregistered users should be able to post. just not in the lounge, which is the policy right now anyway.
The lounge can have it one way, but not the other forums?

Misha
Professional Poster
May 8, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
i dont think some of the registered users should be allowed to post, but thats another story.
LOL

Seriously, though... for a while MacNN was registered-members-only. When we made it possible for unregistered members to post replies (but not new topics, as is the case right now) our forums grew much faster... I think that letting unregistered members post is a good thing. Or rather, that the pros ofset the cons.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2001, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
Or rather, that the pros ofset the cons.
My vote for best double entendre of 2001 goes to Misha.

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2001, 08:12 AM

Vote no on proposition 002666!

I vote no

------------------
Robert Accettura
Owner/Webmaster of

PowerBookDude
May 9, 2001, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by scaught:

Ha. Ha. Ha.

I bet you are talking about me scaught? Right?

*Please note: If it wasn't me you were talking about, then I'm making a fool out of my self *

Dude. What is your problem let it go scaught let it go. I'm staying here so you might as well just shut up about how you don't like me and my posts.

However, my posts are becoming longer and have more meaning ful now scaught .

Thank you.

------------------
PBDude

On the 8th day God created Apple. On the 9th day God created the WozCam

georgius
May 9, 2001, 09:25 AM

PBDude: Okay...so maybe...but its timew to just "mature" a tad...don't take it the wrong way, please?

And secondly, non-registered users shouldn't be allowed to post. They're too anonymous. They don't seem to contribute. Sure people like "Worker Bee" (Juan Guttirez) register at their peril, but I'd bet thart many un-registered posts are guys from Apple. I'll bet you anything...

Play it cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules