Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > June issue ' Macworld Magazine '

June issue ' Macworld Magazine '
DMK
Forum Regular
May 13, 2001, 10:04 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to read the "LCD vs CRT" report. What did you think? For you who haven't yet read it, It basically makes LCD's not recommendable due to poor test results. Any Pros using Cinema Displays or LCD's out there?

------------------
dmk

plaidpjs
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 10:30 AM

I'm using the Apple Cinema Display.... and I absolutely LOVE it.

It's got great resolution, everything is sharp and clear, the color is vibrant and rich, it was a snap to set up, and has given absolutely NO trouble since the day I plugged it in.

------------------
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

DMK  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2001, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by plaidpjs:

It's got great resolution, everything is sharp and clear, the color is vibrant and rich, it was a snap to set up, and has given absolutely NO trouble since the day I plugged it in.

Nice setup, congrats .. and btw are you the person going to Macworld expo? hope you enjoy every minute of it!!! you'll have to let everyone know how it went when you come back.
Do you do any design/graphic work with your display? I am actually thinking of the 15" for myself and a DP533. the displays are very similar in some ways (color capabilities, quality, technology), do you think is suited for design? so many views on this subject - its confusing me.
thank you in advance.
DMK
dmk

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2001, 11:43 AM

to me LCDs are Great in 2D.very sharp and bright.
But theres something strange when you play 3D games with them.Everything has little color and it isn't bright anymore. Anyone else noticed this with realtime 3D?

But i don't know the quality of an apple LCD, never worked with one

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 13, 2001, 03:13 PM

You mean a Samsung LCD. That's where Apple gets them from, correct?

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

Mr.Fear
May 13, 2001, 03:28 PM

From what I've heard around work (the prepress section of a printing company), the colour on LCDs is kinda 'off'. It's okay if any shade of blue will do, but hard to match things up to, or get a realistic idea of how stuff might look.

Mr.F

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 04:31 PM

LCD displays have a 'native resolution' which means the resolution cannot be changed without losing part of the monitor's image OR losing image quality.
Otherwise I love my LCD - especially for text.

I haven't noticed anything strange with 3d games...

um, doesn't Samsung make low-end consumer appliances like $59 microwave ovens? Sorry, but Samsung surely doesn't manufacture the best quality components.
*empty space*

Treky
May 13, 2001, 04:58 PM

um, doesn't Samsung make low-end consumer appliances like $59 microwave ovens? Sorry, but Samsung surely doesn't manufacture the best quality components.
While I'm sure most of Samsung's computer monitors are not designed for graphics pros, price/performance wise they can't be beat. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 950p (19" CRT) and I love it! After I tweaked the controls to my liking I found it to have some of the most crisp text I've seen on a CRT. The mesh wires are absolutely completely invisible (something I can't say about more expensive monitors). Through ColorSync the color matches nearly perfectly with my Epson printer. And let me tell you, this monitor beats my 19" RasterOps hands down eventhough the RasterOps cost twice as much.

As for LCDs my boss has a 14" Samsung (don't know which model exactly). It's nice ehough... some shimmer to the picture and the refesh is rather slow. But otherwise the picture quite clear and color vibrant. But it was an early model she bought about two years ago. The LCDs today are much improved. I recently caught a glimpse at Apple's 22" CD and was blown away.

[This message has been edited by Treky (edited 05-13-2001).]

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 05:42 PM

Apple has it's own LCD production line at Samsung. That's why Apple gave them $100 million a few years ago. They bought their own LCD production line. Supposedly, it has a huge Apple banner hanging over it.

It's true that Samsung makes them, but from what I have seen, the LCDs produced for Apple are unusually good. They must be to a higher standard, because if you have ever seen the Cube LCD, you'll know how incredible it is. Absolutely incredible.

If you want to read a great review of the Cinema Display from Ars Technica, see here:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/4q00/...g4-cube-5.html

You'll love it.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Misha
Professional Poster
May 13, 2001, 06:58 PM

It's a well-known fact that current-generation LCDs do not hold a candle to current-generation CRTs when it comes to color-critical work.

Having said that, LCDs consume far less desktop space, less power, and produce sharper text.

As others have pointed out, however, there's only one native resolution, and you better like it. The resolution scaling for lower resolutions on LCDs is fine for games (imo) but useless for anything else. Frankly I find the native resolution on all of Apple's displays (except the new iBook) to be too low. I run my 21" ASD at 1600x1200... if I move "up" to a 22" Cinema Display my resolution drops to 1600x1024--no thanks. Same deal with the 15" Studio Display: I like to run 1152x768 or 1280x1024 on a screen that size, not 1024x768.

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 07:59 PM

What's the dot-pitch of the Cinema Display? On my Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT (17") it's 0.264 and produces a real sharp image. Every other LCD I've seen that's 17" or larger starts at 0.28 dot-pitch.

------------------

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2001, 08:09 PM

So how does ColorSync affect the usefulness of an LCD display for monitor/printer matching and workflows? Is that the essential question here?

wumeng
Senior User
May 14, 2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
So how does ColorSync affect the usefulness of an LCD display for monitor/printer matching and workflows? Is that the essential question here?
ColorSync is probably helpful but would only be really useful if used in conjunction with a color calibrator device for the LCD.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by plaidpjs:

Just wanted to say I'm jealous of plaidpjs' setup.

WISH I could have a cinema display.

Freelance work in Montana doesn't pay well enough to get a hot system!

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules